Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sheltered bays in Kerry?

Options
  • 20-11-2009 7:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Just wondering if anybody knows of anywhere in the Kerry area that will be surfable this weekend. The forecast looks awful, too big for me and blown out by the winds. I'm only looking for 3-6 foot waves as I'm still a relative beginner. I wouldn't even be too bothered but I've a new board and I'm itching to try it out :o I was thinking maybe Reanough or Scraggane Bay as both seem to be sheltered from the SW swell and would hopefully knock a lot of the size off it but I've never been to either before so does anybody have any firsthand knowledge of any spots that will work for me in the forecast conditions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I'm not sure whether surfing anywhere would be a good idea for a beginner this weekend. If you're talking about Scraggane harbour to the north of Castlegregory, that will catch zero swell (as it faces north) with severe offshore winds this weekend. Hardly good conditions for any kind of surfing. Stay in bed, admire your new board at home, or take up windsurfing instead :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Zeroman_IR

That's fair enough (except for the bit about windsurfing :D) I've decided to give it a miss. Just out of interest though, would a big swell not wrap around (note the technical terms) into Scraggane in a much reduced size? That was my initial logic, though I have no idea if there's any basis to it :p

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Exar Khun

cornbb wrote: »
    I'm not sure whether surfing anywhere would be a good idea for a beginner this weekend.

QFT

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055747502

Terrible news.

Scary stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Zeroman_IR wrote: »
    That's fair enough (except for the bit about windsurfing :D) I've decided to give it a miss. Just out of interest though, would a big swell not wrap around (note the technical terms) into Scraggane in a much reduced size? That was my initial logic, though I have no idea if there's any basis to it :p

I'm not sure whether Scraggane would catch any of that swell at all - I don't know whether it "wraps around" as you put it but I'd imagine not. The strong offshore wind would cancel any swell making it into the harbour anyway, not to mention making surfing a bad idea for safety reasons.

Even under ideal conditions I don't think Scraggane would produce good surf, I've windsurfed there before, the ride would be much too short I think.

Advertisement