Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheating on Vacation

Options
  • 20-11-2009 7:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭

I live in Spain and I have noticed an interesting phenomenon - married Irish men looking for "flings" while abroad while traveling for a stag party or a lad's weekend. I've been hit on by married men in both Madrid and Barcelona; this has even happened to one of my married girlfriends. I've also chatted with married Irish men on vacation who have freely admitted to soliciting prostitutes when they come here.

I certainly am not trying to make sweeping generalizations from a few isolated incidents. But it does raise an interesting question - how common do you think this is? Have you cheated on your partner/spouse while on holiday outside of the country? Is there something about Spain in particular that makes it the equivalent of a "what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas" kind of place?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

I live in Spain and I have noticed an interesting phenomenon - married Irish men looking for "flings" while abroad while traveling for a stag party or a lad's weekend. I've been hit on by married men in both Madrid and Barcelona; this has even happened to one of my married girlfriends. I've also chatted with married Irish men on vacation who have freely admitted to soliciting prostitutes when they come here.

I certainly am not trying to make sweeping generalizations from a few isolated incidents. But it does raise an interesting question - how common do you think this is? Have you cheated on your partner/spouse while on holiday outside of the country? Is there something about Spain in particular that makes it the equivalent of a "what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas" kind of place?

meh, wimmin are usually more likely to cheat when they're away cos they can't handle their beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Do you mean "holiday"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Do you mean "holiday"?

Haha, yeah, I'm an American, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Teutorix

genericguy wrote: »
    meh, wimmin are ususally more likely to cheat when they're away cos they can't handle their beer.
    You sir are a moron, thats hardly a factual statement.

P.S. its spelled wimminz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

oooh, i smell a rat! I dont think u are in spain, i think ur fella has gone on a stag and u want answers..............:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Irish men might cheat while they're away from home but I find French men generally do it on their own turf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

Teutorix wrote: »

nah, i'm not a moron. the one fact when it comes to talking about women is that everything men say is wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Teutorix wrote: »

You sir, should not have attacked the poster. Have a little vacation yourself.

benwavner wrote: »
    oooh, i smell a rat! I dont think u are in spain, i think ur fella has gone on a stag and u want answers..............:eek:

Nope - single woman living in Spain. And I'm not Irish (see earlier post).

American guys run down to Mexico or the Caribbean to act a fool. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Have you cheated on your partner/spouse while on holiday outside of the country?

No, I save that for work trips.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭MAB83

Maybe it is a regular thing over there. Unfortunately some men cheat, it happens all over the world. I've been to cities all over the world on lads' holidays and I never have and never will cheat on my girlfriend. Never even been tempted, if I was there'd be something wrong. Can't say the same for a good lot of my friends though.

So yeah it happens but this isn't a new phenomenon OP.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Been all over the place. Its not just an Irish "thing".
    See all nationalities at it. Both male and female.
    6 months later - heard of a few marriage break-up too. The guilty parties couldn't explain the STD's.

Ya reap as ya sow sometimes.

MAB83 wrote: »

So yeah it happens but this isn't a new phenomenon OP.

That is definitely true - cheating is nothing new. I think I was just a bit struck because I lived in Dublin before I moved to Spain (and met plenty of Irish in the US) and this NEVER happened to me...which led me to wonder if there was something about being away - and being in Spain in particular - that made cheating more likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Biggins wrote: »
    Been all over the place. Its not just an Irish "thing".
    See all nationalities at it. Both male and female.
    6 months later - heard of a few marriage break-up too. The guilty parties couldn't explain the STD's.

Ya reap as ya sow sometimes.

Just blame the other party of Infidelity!! Everyone knows that works!!!

Nope - single woman living in Spain. And I'm not Irish (see earlier post).

American guys run down to Mexico or the Caribbean to act a fool. :D

I didnt say you were Irish (see earlier post).

...so, where abouts in Spain do you live....will I pack my bag?;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

It doesn't count when

a). You are in a different country
    b). You are in a different time zone
    c). You are at sea
    d). You are at least 2 counties apart

Them's the rules. You can't blame the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭delricyo

Lambay rules

As soon as you pass Lambay Island - you can do what you like :p

I didnt say you were Irish (see earlier post).

...so, where abouts in Spain do you live....will I pack my bag?;)

Ah, no, I meant if I were trying to dig the dirt on where men at home run off for stag parties ("bachelor parties") it wouldn't be in Spain (hence the second line of the post).

And as for where I live...haha, I think I've gotten into enough trouble here with the Irishmen toting suitcases, thanks. ;)

Ah, no, I meant if I were trying to dig the dirt on where men at home run off for stag parties ("bachelor parties") it wouldn't be in Spain (hence the second line of the post).

And as for where I live...haha, I think I've gotten into enough trouble here with the Irishmen toting suitcases, thanks. ;)

Too late, its packed..

..What the hell are you doing in Spain?

Too late, its packed..

..What the hell are you doing in Spain?

Running the streets at 2am with crazy married Irishmen. Did you not read the OP? :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Special K

genericguy wrote: »
    meh, wimmin are usually more likely to cheat when they're away cos they can't handle their beer.
    And ironically, you're not being a 'genericguy' at all............!

Running the streets at 2am with crazy married Irishmen. Did you not read the OP? :P

Ha, hope you brought protection...

...suncream like...

...it is still sunny there at 2am, isnt it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

Isnt the age of consent in Spain 13 ?

Just a thought....;)

I heard its not cheating if you dont cum inside?

It doesn't count when

a). You are in a different country
    b). You are in a different time zone
    c). You are at sea
    d). You are at least 2 counties apart

Them's the rules. You can't blame the rules.

Should it also be a rule that if you're going to cheat, you should at least take your wedding ring off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Irish men might cheat while they're away from home but I find French men generally do it on their own turf.
    Thierry Henry?

Should it also be a rule that if you're going to cheat, you should at least take your wedding ring off?

.....and your clothes!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Would i cheat on my fiance?

That depends.. do i want a my throat slit?

snyper wrote: »
    Would i cheat on my fiance?

That depends.. do i want a my throat slit?

Well, but that assumes your fiance would find out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Threads like this make me really sad. It's weird cos AH is usually full of horrific stories of dogs being brutally killed and babies dying...but people brazenly betraying the people who are meant to meant the most to them really upsets me :(

Advertisement