Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheating on Vacation

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭InkSlinger67

I live in Spain and frequently take married Irish women out in brother's boat. They always resist at first because she think I try to make **** with with her!

Hell it is being time-share salesman for Mr. Larry O'Novo! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Reesy

...how common do you think this is? Have you cheated on your partner/spouse while on holiday outside of the country? Is there something about Spain in particular that makes it the equivalent of a "what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas" kind of place?
    My tuppence worth: I don't do unfaithful (I'm not Irish though I live in Ireland) and as far as I'm aware, none of my Irish friends, male or female, do when they travel abroad. I guess some may, I just don't see or hear of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

Reesy wrote: »
    My tuppence worth: I don't do unfaithful (I'm not Irish though I live in Ireland) and as far as I'm aware, none of my Irish friends, male or female, do when they travel abroad. I guess some may, I just don't see or hear of it.

From the other side of it, I don't "do" flings with married men (although I'm not going to lie, I've been tempted!).

I guess I just thought it was weird because I spent two months in Dublin and was NEVER approached by Irish men, married or no. And within a month of being in Spain, I was propositioned multiple times (usually after hours of heavy drinking)...which is why I wondered if it was a holiday thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Well, but that assumes your fiance would find out.

She'd get the smell of gee off me.

Apparently 1 part per million is detectible by her

!).

I guess I just thought it was weird because I spent two months in Dublin and was NEVER approached by Irish men, married or no. And within a month of being in Spain, I was propositioned multiple times (usually after hours of heavy drinking)...which is why I wondered if it was a holiday thing?

Whats the translation for minger in your language?

• Advertisement

snyper wrote: »
    Whats the translation for minger in your language?

Depends on if you are referring to me or to drunken wannabe cheaters.

Depends on if you are referring to me or to drunken wannabe cheaters.

:D

Most (i think :confused:) like the idea of cheating and like to flirt.. But id like to think most men wouldnt...

I once talked to a woman that spent alot of her time trying to find love on dating websites.. she claimed that 50% of the me she went on dates were married men.. she only found this out after the fact...

So i dont know.. marry a minger and he wont cheat?

snyper wrote: »
    :D

Most (i think :confused:) like the idea of cheating and like to flirt.. But id like to think most men wouldnt...

I once talked to a woman that spent alot of her time trying to find love on dating websites.. she claimed that 50% of the me she went on dates were married men.. she only found this out after the fact...

So i dont know.. marry a minger and he wont cheat?

I think flirting is one thing - there is a "yup, I've still got it!" aspect to it that is relatively harmless. And I think there are a lot of men who are just happy to have a night out away from their wife and kids - it's not that they don't love them, but they just want a little taste of their pre-poopy diapers life.

Or maybe it's just easier to not get married at all. Even to a minger (?). :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Should it also be a rule that if you're going to cheat, you should at least take your wedding ring off?

Wedding rings are not part of the rules, so they are optional.

Wedding rings are not part of the rules, so they are optional.

But if you are intent on cheating, it might be easier to bag guilt-ridden Catholic chicks if you're not wearing your wedding ring.

Just sayin'.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Nope - single woman living in Spain. And I'm not Irish (see earlier post).

American guys run down to Mexico or the Caribbean to act a fool. :D

No, we go to Vegas.

Although, I have it on good authority that what happens in Vegas does not necessarily stay in Vegas.

Thank Christ the KGB was never made up of women. The Women's Informant Network is absolutely staggering in its capability.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

so many versions of this

what goes on tour stays on tour
    what happens in vegas stays in vegas
    area code rules

never thought anyone actually took it seriosuly thou

No, we go to Vegas.

Although, I have it on good authority that what happens in Vegas does not necessarily stay in Vegas.

Thank Christ the KGB was never made up of women. The Women's Informant Network is absolutely staggering in its capability.

NTM

I forgot about Vegas! (smacks forehead)

My old roommate has lived there for the last few years, and he's trying to get out because it's aging him before his time. The pics from his Facebook page look like a fantasy sequence from a beer commercial.

Maybe fewer men who are up to no good would get caught if they didn't let themselves be photographed while doing it... :D

I used to live in Miami, and the stuff I saw down there...Between my experience living in South Florida and now in Spain, I am developing a very skeptical view of marriage and monogamy.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

My old roommate has lived there for the last few years, and he's trying to get out because it's aging him before his time. The pics from his Facebook page look like a fantasy sequence from a beer commercial.

My Squadron HQ is in Vegas, so I get paid to go there frequently. The place is just 'out there', all semblence of an attachment to reality just vanishes. I am still awed by the Strip, even after numerous trips.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

Just a question, to what level do people think it acceptable for someone married/engaged/with a long-term boyfriend/girlfriend to look at/fantasize/fap about other people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

Teutorix wrote: »
    P.S. its spelled wimminz

Can I ask the reason why it must be spelled like this? Because the spelling and grammar police don't usually like any variation from the dictionary spelling. There must be a reason for this exception:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

sunnyside wrote: »
    Can I ask the reason why it must be spelled like this?

Is Soviet Russia the reasons asks you blah blah. Just like that, it's just one of those AH things. I think it describes AH's collective sentiment towards wimminz quite well. Spelling it right just isn't disrespectful enough.

Just a question, to what level do people think it acceptable for someone married/engaged/with a long-term boyfriend/girlfriend to look at/fantasize/fap about other people?

A few years ago, I was a bridesmaid in the out-of-town wedding of my college roommate. The night before the ceremony, we were all in the hotel, and we were joking about who you would ever cheat on your significant other with. She said that she and her fiance had a (half) joking agreement that they each got one "celebrity crush get-out-of-marriage-free-for-2-hours" card. So in the (beyond) slight chance that she ran into Tyson Beckford or he ran into Janet Jackson, all bets were off.

Well, the morning of the wedding, all of the bridesmaids went down to the hotel spa to get manicures. Of course the gossip started flowing, and come to find out Janet Jackson was staying in the hotel (one of the girls from the spa went to her suite to do her nails). Needless to say, we spent the rest of the weekend keeping an eye on the back elevator, and I think somebody bribed the DJ to play a Janet Jackson greatest hits medley at the reception.

Weirdly enough there was some kind of "celebrity" basketball tournament in town that weekend, so there were loads of random D-list celebrities wandering around the hotel lobby...but nobody was trying to step out on their current partner for Coolio. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

Is Soviet Russia the reasons asks you blah blah. Just like that, it's just one of those AH things. I think it describes AH's collective sentiment towards wimminz quite well. Spelling it right just isn't disrespectful enough.

Like the yore ma thing? I once tried finding out exactly what that's about but I still don't quite understand it. I probably don't spend enough time in AH to understand properly.:)

OK, I just learned what "fap"means. :o

Um, I think fantasizing about other people goes with the territory, no?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Long Onion

I feel cheated - saw the thread title and OP's user name, concocted a rant in my head about ugg boot wearing southsiders and their penchants for americanisms - then I read the first few posts:(

Here's a novel idea - don't get married/go into a long term relationship if you don't love the other person enough to keep the pants on. No-one makes you commit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

I live in Spain and I have noticed an interesting phenomenon - married Irish men looking for "flings" while abroad while traveling for a stag party or a lad's weekend. I've been hit on by married men in both Madrid and Barcelona; this has even happened to one of my married girlfriends. I've also chatted with married Irish men on vacation who have freely admitted to soliciting prostitutes when they come here.

I certainly am not trying to make sweeping generalizations from a few isolated incidents. But it does raise an interesting question - how common do you think this is? Have you cheated on your partner/spouse while on holiday outside of the country? Is there something about Spain in particular that makes it the equivalent of a "what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas" kind of place?

I think that it is a bit rich of you to criticise cheating men, when your girlfriend is married. At least let him join in 'Rosie' (if that is your real name, which I doubt!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

Never mind being on holidays, if they're going to cheat they'll do it, home or away, only difference about holidays flings is there's less of a chance of ever running into them again and getting caught

• Registered Users Posts: 38 damone

me and the missus s were in spain this year and we went out cause i wanted to see a soccer match on the telly ,outside the bars we were drinkin in {there was five bars all together]there must have been 5 or 6 hundred people,we moved place three times ,twice because my gf couldnt listen to the shouted conversations that were goin on that to be honest i think the shouters wanted to be heard,but listening to a 55 year old bleached blonde overweight brummie woman roarin that she had a 20 year old goin down on her for most of that afternoon ,while there was 4 or 5 five year old kids runnin round was sickining,other time we moved was cause of family fighting which cudve developed into a riot.
    two things i must stress 1, all nationalities were present and involved ,irish ,english,french,swedish,dutch, german and more 2,all social classes were involved!!!!!!!workin class and toffs!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭KarmaGarda

This just reminded me of a similar debate to this appear on this forum a while back. I must go search for it. But, if I recall correctly, it was a research done on partners and cheating which showed that women and men cheat as much as each other. So where it's quite likely this will happen, it's not isolated to just men. Let me go look for it...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

damone wrote: »
    two things i must stress 1, all nationalities were present and involved ,irish ,english,french,swedish,dutch, german and more 2,all social classes were involved!!!!!!!workin class and toffs!!!

Succinct summary of the rich tapestry of modern socio economic groups. Wurkin' class and toffs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

so many versions of this

what goes on tour stays on tour
    what happens in vegas stays in vegas
    area code rules

never thought anyone actually took it seriosuly thou

Depends how they want to justify it to themselves.

dan719 wrote: »
    I think that it is a bit rich of you to criticise cheating men, when your girlfriend is married. At least let him join in 'Rosie' (if that is your real name, which I doubt!).

Why all the hostility? My point was, some of these men don't respect marriage to the extent that they would even make a move on a married woman. Just because a woman goes out in public without her husband doesn't mean that she is looking to cheat.

Also, if you read the original post, the question I put to the board was Have you cheated on your partner/spouse while on holiday outside of the country? Is there something about Spain in particular that makes it the equivalent of a "what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas" kind of place? I.E., the actual question is gender neutral, even though the anecdote is from the perspective of a woman being approached by men.

Finally I do not doubt that married women may go out seeking holiday flings as well - my brother certainly has some funny/terrifying stories about being propositioned by middle-aged married women while on a cruise in the Caribbean. That said, I can only speak to my experience as a woman. And, as I mentioned in an earlier post, I've lived in Ireland and never experienced this kind of thing so I didn't know if, for the Irish, Spain was the European version of Vegas/Miami/Cancun for Americans (i.e. a place to go and drink and act a fool for a few days).

Long Onion wrote: »
    I feel cheated - saw the thread title and OP's user name, concocted a rant in my head about ugg boot wearing southsiders and their penchants for americanisms - then I read the first few posts:(

Here's a novel idea - don't get married/go into a long term relationship if you don't love the other person enough to keep the pants on. No-one makes you commit.

Sorry to disappoint you...perhaps I should have thought a bit more carefully about my user name!

As for the second part of your post: AMEN.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,392 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

This thread is a bit fishy

Advertisement