Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia screen broke while in pocket - Can Meteor do anything?

• 20-11-2009 8:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭

Just home from work to discover my Nokia 5800 screen is broke. The colours in the bottom half of the screen is all over the place. I dont know how it happened as it was grand during work today.

I bought the phone about 3 weeks ago, can Meteor replace the phone or will i have to buy a new one?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Is the phone insured? What does your warranty say? Have you called to ask them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭JohnJericho

Phone isn't insured. I cant see to get through to them either.

EDIT - Got through to them. It would cost me €200 + for a new one. He advised me to get it sent away for a new screen. Anywhere in Dublin to get fixed for the cheapest possible price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Hold on. What documentation did you get with the phone? How long have you had it? You may be covered by statutory consumer legislation - you may not be, but it doesn't hurt to [URL="htttp://www.consumerconnect.ie/"]call for advice[/URL] and find out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Hold on. What documentation did you get with the phone? How long have you had it? You may be covered by statutory consumer legislation - you may not be, but it doesn't hurt to [URL="htttp://www.consumerconnect.ie/"]call for advice[/URL] and find out.

Very unlikely. You can get the phone sent away for a 24 hour test with Meteor. If the damage to the screen was caused by a genuine fault, you will get a new phone. Going by what you said, this seems unlikely to be honest. A new screen for a 5800 is approx 100e.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Brabus

Very same thing just happened to me this evening.
    Half the screen is gone blank, the LCD screen that is.
    Managed to get a few numbers off it, but so worried that I'll loose everything when I send it off for repair.
    Bought it from phonesonline.ie and here is what it says about their warranty from their website;

What about my Warranty?

All our phones are covered by a one year manufacturer's Warranty unless otherwise stated. Some accessories, for example, phone batteries or data cables are covered by a six month warranty. In the unlikely event that the equipment proves to be defective due to materials or workmanship, it may either be replaced or repaired free of charge by the manufacturer.

To return goods to us, please contact us prior to returning the item to obtain an RMA authorisation. Items should be parcelled securely and include all manuals, accessories and original packaging. Include a short note detailing your original order reference, contact details including a contact phone number and a description of the fault. We are unable to accept returns other than by courier or post. We recommend the item be sent by recorded delivery.

Fingers crossed now & hope for the best!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Those faults sound like broken LCDs from pressure being applied or water damage. No chance a warranty would cover that. Warranties only cover manufacturing defects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Brabus wrote: »
    Very same thing just happened to me this evening.
    Half the screen is gone blank, the LCD screen that is.
    Managed to get a few numbers off it, but so worried that I'll loose everything when I send it off for repair.
    Bought it from phonesonline.ie and here is what it says about their warranty from their website;

What about my Warranty?

All our phones are covered by a one year manufacturer's Warranty unless otherwise stated. Some accessories, for example, phone batteries or data cables are covered by a six month warranty. In the unlikely event that the equipment proves to be defective due to materials or workmanship, it may either be replaced or repaired free of charge by the manufacturer.

To return goods to us, please contact us prior to returning the item to obtain an RMA authorisation. Items should be parcelled securely and include all manuals, accessories and original packaging. Include a short note detailing your original order reference, contact details including a contact phone number and a description of the fault. We are unable to accept returns other than by courier or post. We recommend the item be sent by recorded delivery.

Fingers crossed now & hope for the best!!

There are several places around (Nokia service centres) that should fix the phone for free. All Nokias come with a manufacturer's guarantee.

Try fonemenders.ie on Grafton Street maybe.

Sounds like they mayl have heard of the issue if it's this common.

Advertisement