Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MF168, unusual question.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

400 long gone here.
    Often sorry for selling it as it was the first tractor I ever bought.Cost 1600 pounds in real money for a well tyred tractor with no power steering,6 stud rear wheels,a deluxe cab with all the windows intact and pick up hitch.
    Went through 3 clutches,one engine(short block)couple of rads,countless pick up hitch and loader studs and at least 2 steering box rebuilds(consequence of loading too many bales; hay straw and silage, without power steering )

Prob. earned more with it than any subsequent machine.
    I'd say you could rebuild it with your eyes closed at this stage .

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭marzic

lab man wrote: »
    drove a jd 3130 in mohill leitrim and drove it to kilrush co clare took 11 hrs and got 100 pound for it in 94

fair play to ya, ennis to kilrush alone is a haul in a tractor of that era!

I did hear of a fella drove from south kerry to co.galway (maybe gort or clarinbridge area) in a 135, to pick up a square bailer about the late 80's/ early 90's... nuts!

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭ford 5600

Sisu200 wrote: »
    I would say a 168 will do the 30kph, I have a 165 with 13.6x38 wheels and it will do 31kph, I have a 175, and you would crawl on your belly faster than it, I say 9hours 15 minutes!!

A 168 on std either 12 x36 or 16 .9 x30s would do around 16-17 mph ,with the 8 speed box. A 165 on the same tyres, but with the 6 speed will do 2 or 3 mph more, more or less the same as your 175 .
    The time of The Cooley Tractor World record in 2007 a man drove a Leyland 272 from somewhere in Co Limerick to Cooley. Must be the thick end of 200 miles!
    Another man called Nick from somewhere around Gorey drove a Ford 5000 there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

Went from West Galway to Cookstown for a low loader some years ago in a 40k box jd. Have to say I enjoyed it. I must be mad

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭9935452

neighbours bought a TW25 in county down and drove it home to the limerick /kerry border.
    Two lads drove it in turns. 30k box. Id love to know how much diesel it burned for that trip. i reckon it would have been cheaper to pay a haulier to move it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

towzer2010 wrote: »
    Neighbour was working on the oil rigs in Scotland in the 70's and he bought a 135 and square baler near Aberdeen. He drove it from there to the ferry and then from Belfast to Sligo. Took him a 4 days and he slept in the tractor.

Baler is gone but 135 is still in use.

I'm more amazed by being able to sleep in a 135 than him driving from Scotland

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

9935452 wrote: »
    neighbours bought a TW25 in county down and drove it home to the limerick /kerry border.
    Two lads drove it in turns. 30k box. Id love to know how much diesel it burned for that trip. i reckon it would have been cheaper to pay a haulier to move it
    I burned the guts of 200 euro up and down. They must have burned 300 - 350

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭DarByrne1980

marzic wrote: »
    I did hear of a fella drove from south kerry to co.galway (maybe gort or clarinbridge area) in a 135, to pick up a square bailer about the late 80's/ early 90's... nuts!

I absolutely love these stories. no way on earth of knowing if they are true but they are feckin legendary. imagine the traffic build up behind a big dog of a wegler square baler ont he way back down to south kerry. Im going to tell people this story. Classic!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Local lad drove db 1394 from the north to Kerry !
    But better Kearneys drove a combine up to Kerry ant there was a build up of cars a mile long on a Friday evening at 5 .30 behind him out of tralee and do you think he pulled in to let them pass out , like puck he did , boot down only for another 10 miles until he hit the field , you can imagine the crack when you would pull into field and see all the line of traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Mate of mine drove an 884 from Rosslare to Galway . He told all the boys in the pub that he tied the diff down to make her go faster on the way !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Gard1

a lad beside us drove an old massey combine with no cab from galway mayo border to far side of mallow in cork a few years ago. he walked out on the road to thumb home and a neighbour of his was on his way up the road in a lorry from cork and dropped him to his front gate. id love to know how long it took him to get there and knowing the irish weather im sure there were a few loose nuts when he got there :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

My boss drove his fathers 35 from Holland to Dublin fifteen years ago.
    Two of them at it.
    Holland to Calais. Calais to Dover. Dover to Holyhead. Holyhead to Dublin.
    Madness!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

Local man drove a 595 2wd out of a sales yard in Dumfries nearly 30 years ago and drove her to the boat to larne and on home ,still in use.
    PS not condoning it but no money changed hands

Local man drove a 595 2wd out of a sales yard in Dumfries nearly 30 years ago and drove her to the boat to larne and on home ,still in use.

Was it a quick getaway?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭valtraman

Friends gone to harvest in Australia have just moved south to next job 1500km at 34 km/hr , 18 hr driving days , :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

400 long gone here.
    Often sorry for selling it as it was the first tractor I ever bought.Cost 1600 pounds in real money for a well tyred tractor with no power steering,6 stud rear wheels,a deluxe cab with all the windows intact and pick up hitch.
    Went through 3 clutches,one engine(short block)couple of rads,countless pick up hitch and loader studs and at least 2 steering box rebuilds(consequence of loading too many bales; hay straw and silage, without power steering )

Prob. earned more with it than any subsequent machine.

Reminds me of triggers brush in only fools and horses!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Drove our tractor 100 miles home when I bought it. I can inform ye all that there is a very rough hard shoulder on the n17!

Drove our tractor 100 miles home when I bought it. I can inform ye all that there is a very rough hard shoulder on the n17!

"along with stone walls and green grass"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

Some gas stories on here. In the early 70's my father brought a Fordson Major with a loader in from the Uk. No cab. Drove it down from Dublin port to east Galway. 100 miles. No tax or insurance. He didn't know how to operate the loader so it was down all the way home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

Often brought lambs/cattle to Atleague or Kildare (both 45mls from here) 14ft trailer on a 135 with a lambourn cab....no wonder I'm deaf now, with a wrecked back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

You would have been worse if she had a steel cab from all the rattling

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Farmer

Yes, it's only when you do this you realise how good car suspensions are. On alot of roads, you don't even ever get the benefit of a 40 k box

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭DarByrne1980

Not as long in distance but about 15 yers ago I had to do a bit of drawing between our place and a bit of land 10 miles away. In a borrowed SAME tractor. Like this boyo https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4007/4468369254_6766d2f5ac.jpg

anyway the problem was it was used for turf cutting and it had double wheels. but we couldnt get the double off the back left. so she was lobsided. between that and the rubbish suspension it lead to a sore arse and creek in my neck looking back as the mirrors were off and i was taking up half the road. Must have done 15 draws in it.

Id be the very lad whod be giving out if I was behind me on the road these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,242 ✭✭✭✭Base price

My brother drove a MF3080 with a Tarrup?? side flinger from North Longford to North County Dublin 10 years ago or so. I think it took him just over 7 hours - 90 odd miles. Cnut of a tractor with it's autotronic system.
    Sold the muck spreader within a week. The tractor was not so easy to sell. I used it for several years here in my place. Thankfully at the time there was a local man who was well used to dealing with temperamental tractors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭mayota

Neighbour went from North mayo to Wicklow on a ford 7600 to collect a rotary mower around 20 years ago. Probably 320 miles. And the son sitting on the toolbox/mudguard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

A friends father sold an old 3cx to a lad from Galway. He drove from Louth to Galway . I'd say he was fair bored by the time he got there.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭westwicklow

There has got to be an interesting story behind that one!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭foreman

Sold a ford 4100 to a lad and he paid cash and drove it from mullingar to cobh.
    Set off on a friday evening at 6pm
    took him 13 hours

mad whore....
    you would want strong arms as no power steering.
    it had a nice q cab though..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,000 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Friend of mines father used to drive from close to enfield to the guinness factory to collect the used brewers hops etc every saturday morning on a super dexta with no cab.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

There has got to be an interesting story behind that one!!!

Talk of the country ever since

Advertisement