Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off The Ball : Newstalk 7pm - 10pm

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Cats111 wrote: »
    Flutterinbantam,

I'm amazed at how highly you regard yourself - and how often you feel the need to repeat your opinions, ad nauseum, on this topic. You've posted here numerous times about your dislike of Off the Ball and your problems with their 'speech impediments', 'bad grammar', 'top gear' or 'x factor' style humour etc etc - I could go on.

I could also pick holes in everything you've seen fit to criticise but life's too short. You're clearly not a sports fan.

Everyone gets it - you don't like the show. (Even though you've clearly listened to it enough times to have a long, long list of complaints).

Here's a mad idea that you might get your head around; switch the channel.

Seriously, give it a try.

Indeed I have Cats ,indeed I have.

Now I never remember mentioning 'speech impediment'

Cats , plenty of people here have posted as to how they like 'Off the Ball'

Have you a problem with them, or is is just people you don't agree with you have a problem with?

Instead of threats to 'pick holes' why don't you?

You seem to be a young person who hasn't fully understood the ways of the world,that some people like things, and others don't.

Both are entitled to express their opinions, if you don't like mine, fair enough but never make the mistake of thinking that everyone you agree with is right, and everyone you don't is wrong ;)

Have a good day:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭rochie16

I'm gonna agree with Cats on this one. FlutterinBantam is a thoroughly annoying cretin. The last time I read a thread on offtheball a couple of years ago, he was there as well posting the same opinion - only phrased differently - over and over. It seems he's at it again. Can't you be like most people and post your opinion and move on. I have no problem with you having opinions, just your repetitive expression of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

If you've got a problem with a post - report it. Play the ball, not the man. If you don't like what someone has to say - ignore them. Final warning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Another newstalk thread where Flutterin bemoans the diction or lack thereof of the newstalk presenters.

Its worth saying again, if you dont like it then dont listen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 smashingred

Great show-don't understan why some people would think RTE is better.
    Mc Devitt & Earley are a great combo-they have some interesting guests, they cover alot more sports than rte plus they have a much smaller budget.I see Setanta have started showing the programme aswell.
    It was on this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Flut, you go on about speech grammar elocution and the OTB team not being able to put a coherent sentence together, yet you haven’t given an example of the sort of mispronunciation, bad grammar etc you object to. If you could give an example, one example, of this sort of thing on OTB then we would have some idea what you are referring to.

The suggestion that a commercial sports show should cater for esoteric tastes, capable of being understood only by a select few, could only be made by a member of the supposed “select few”. Is that how you see yourself? In any case, whatever commercially broadcast-able esoteric material there is in the sports world is 1000 times more likely to end up on OTB than RTE.

The reality is that OTB covers infinitely more ‘left field’ sports stories than RTE for example. For instance, there was a feature on last night about Lebron James' High School basketball team, how 5 of them came up together in a completely black neighbourhood, one of the team was only 4’11” and couldn’t go to the local High School, so the other 4 including Lebron went with the 4’11” guy to a different High School – great success and L J goes straight to the NBA after school. Now, I am a general sports fan and have no particular interest in NBA basketball but I think I am right in saying Lebron James is the highest paid athlete in the world at present, so I found this interesting and informative – not immature, juvenile or vacuous.

Des Cahill going on about ABUs (don’t know if he still does this) - now that was immature and juvenile.

And finally regarding ‘speech impediment’ you said that accents do your head in, ‘especially the dude with the lisp’ so there you are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Now I disagree with the other stuff, I'm listening to Jaqui Hurley on RTE calling Worcester 'Worster' instead of 'Wooster' not once but twice.

it's hardly her fault that the english came up with silly ways to pronounce their own words!

anyway, OTB is a quality show. i'm listening to it now and the contributors seem to really enjoy chatting to the guys about whatever it is. i've heard steve bunce and gabriel marcotti on 5live, and the only person there who seems to get banter out of them is colin murray. any time i've heard them on OTB they're always on top form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

Whatever their lack of diction in the opinion of Flut, saying they cover dumbed down topic is eh....well dumb in itself. The above example is just one which you will never hear on RTÉ. OTB covers a lot more 'minority' sports that RTÉ. It is commendable in my opinion that a commercially driven station will give over a lot of air time to subjects like US sports or cycling for example.

It is one of the few shining lights on Newtalk currently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Needless to say she is not longer on my radio.It's all about education and class,and bad grammar points out the skoobie like a frikken lighthouse.
    It's national radio !!

Not for this poster.

Just out of curiosity flutter, where do you get your sports fix on radio?

• Advertisement

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    Flut, you go on about speech grammar elocution and the OTB team not being able to put a coherent sentence together, yet you haven’t given an example of the sort of mispronunciation, bad grammar etc you object to. If you could give an example, one example, of this sort of thing on OTB then we would have some idea what you are referring to.

The suggestion that a commercial sports show should cater for esoteric tastes, capable of being understood only by a select few, could only be made by a member of the supposed “select few”. Is that how you see yourself? In any case, whatever commercially broadcast-able esoteric material there is in the sports world is 1000 times more likely to end up on OTB than RTE.

The reality is that OTB covers infinitely more ‘left field’ sports stories than RTE for example. For instance, there was a feature on last night about Lebron James' High School basketball team, how 5 of them came up together in a completely black neighbourhood, one of the team was only 4’11” and couldn’t go to the local High School, so the other 4 including Lebron went with the 4’11” guy to a different High School – great success and L J goes straight to the NBA after school. Now, I am a general sports fan and have no particular interest in NBA basketball but I think I am right in saying Lebron James is the highest paid athlete in the world at present, so I found this interesting and informative – not immature, juvenile or vacuous.

Des Cahill going on about ABUs (don’t know if he still does this) - now that was immature and juvenile.

And finally regarding ‘speech impediment’ you said that accents do your head in, ‘especially the dude with the lisp’ so there you are.

very good post there and in fairness I agree with most of what you say.

Regarding mispronunciation you only have to look at the main man, Mcdevitt

Fuhball Fuhball Fuhball sorry horse it's Football!! There is a fcuking 'T' in it right.

Cahill I have no interest in whatsoever

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

`

Maybe, you should try him out on "Wooster" RFC before you finally condemn him?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

very good post there and in fairness I agree with most of what you say.

Fuhball Fuhball Fuhball sorry horse it's Football!! There is a fcuking 'T' in it right.

Cahill I have no interest in whatsoever

I think Des Cahill is one of the best sports journalists we have in the country.

I think you know I can't stand the man;)

yeh roih hhhhhrumph:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

I think you know I can't stand the man;)

yeh roih hhhhhrumph:rolleyes:

Each to their own i suppose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

I wasnt aware of that one but I'll listen carefully tonight.

One little thing I do pick up on is McDevitt saying "Rub be" for rugby - but this sort of thing would not remotely detract from the overall quality of the show.

Isnt it the case that everybody has some type of accent anyway - particularly sports pundits (on every chanel) - look at Soccer Saturday, while Jeff Stelling might appear to have a more neutral accent than say Phil Thompson, Charlie Nicholas or Paul Merson, he does still have a discernable accent.

And even if lets say presenters of a show could lose any trace of their accents, then isnt it inevitable that the pundits and other contributors would be accented in some way themselves - think Trappatoni or Claudio Ranieri. Should interviewees like that be simply excluded from radio?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

The OTB team crank out 14 hours of sports programming a week, and most of it is of a high standard. I've being listening to it from the start and it's great 'anorak radio' ;) !

There is no comparison with RTE. OTB ask questions that RTE would not dare and Des Cahill is the epitome of safe comfortable broadcasting, lobbing slow balls for his interviewees to knock back without deviating from their publicist's script.
    Imhof Tank wrote: »
    .. For instance, there was a feature on last night about Lebron James' High School basketball team, how 5 of them came up together in a completely black neighbourhood, one of the team was only 4’11” and couldn’t go to the local High School, so the other 4 including Lebron went with the 4’11” guy to a different High School – great success and L J goes straight to the NBA after school. Now, I am a general sports fan and have no particular interest in NBA basketball but I think I am right in saying Lebron James is the highest paid athlete in the world at present, so I found this interesting and informative – not immature, juvenile or vacuous.

Gratified to hear they featured that story. I mailed them about a while back and heard no more.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Wester

TarfHead wrote: »
    The OTB team crank out 14 hours of sports programming a week

Great point. Of course there's going to be dips in quality over the course of so much broadcasting but overall, OTB is a well-put-together show. Puts RTE's sports coverage in the shade. As for Des Cahill, don't get me started. They have him back on Morning Ireland, so now even my mornings start badly :D

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Cluster

I would certainly agree with the first paragraph of your post.

Now I disagree with the other stuff, I'm listening to Jaqui Hurley on RTE calling Worcester 'Worster' instead of 'Wooster' not once but twice.

Needless to say she is not longer on my radio.It's all about education and class,and bad grammar points out the skoobie like a frikken lighthouse.
    It's national radio !!

Not for this poster.

LOL

Dude you need to get out more.

lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭clubwelly

Hey guys does any one know the name of the footy book the lads reviewed last week on behind the scenes at Man united?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

clubwelly wrote: »
    Hey guys does any one know the name of the footy book the lads reviewed last week on behind the scenes at Man united?

"Glory, Glory: Man Utd in the 90's" by Andy Mitten.

• Advertisement
Advertisement