Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pre-preparing - how early can I chop chicken?

Options
  • 20-11-2009 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭

I'm making a very simple dinner this evening - fahitas! But, we won't be eating until later on and I'd really like to have all the preparation done early to leave me with as little to do as possible later on.
    So, for these fahitas I have to chop the chicken breasts for frying and the same with onions and peppers. I was wondering, if I chopped the chicken and veg now, how long will it keep. It will only be about two hours before I use them but I know that some veg starts to turn brown very quickly after being chopped and I have no idea about meat. I know that cutting them up won't take very long, but I'm very stuck for time later so I'd like to do as much as I can now.
    Appreciate your help in advance!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

You should be fine chopping the chicken now. Just cover it and keep it in the fridge until you're ready for it.

I'd also say you'd be fine preparing the veg now too. Also pop them in the fridge, they'll stay fresher.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

Thanks - so I can get all that done then! I think I'm part of the new generation who can cook things easily enough, but I don't know the very important basics. I can make dinner for 18 people as long as I have a cookbook in front of me, but if I'm told to add a half cup of sugar I have to run to the internet for an exact measurement!
    Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Here's a tip on chopped veg - put it into one of those zip-seal plastic bags with about a tablespoon of cold water. Close the bag and keep it in the door of the fridge. The veg will stay moist and fresh for a couple of days. Works very well if you're chopping a lot of veg like carrots and peppers to use with dips.

Advertisement