Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Secondary school kids kilcullen

Options
  • 20-11-2009 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭

I know I'm going to sound like a moany old biddy and at 25 it's probably a bit too early in my life to be getting annoyed over things like this but.....

There is a park behind the credit union in Kilcullen, it runs along the river and is very pretty. Over the past few weeks, after the school lunch time, the park is absolutely destroyed with chipper wrappers, half drank milk shakes, plastic bottles etc. And not for a lack of bins. This was all dumped around the benches, most of which have a bin beside them. I was parked across the close today outside the bank and they where across the river kicking bottles and cans into the river. It's such a shame, the place really is beautiful.

Is there anything that can be done to get this stopped?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭ronaneire

If it is bugging you that much, ring up the school and make a complaint. As these kids are in uniform? If they can't understand the meaning of put your rubbish in a bin when your finished, what will they become as grown adults.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

I know the spot. The school couldn't do much except dish out a few lectures on keeping the town tidy. And the kids aren't going to listen. At least the ones that it would be aimed at wouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭westwicklow

With so much work done by KDA, Tidy Towns, KCC and even pupils in the school, it's such a pity for this to happen Helena. Perhaps a strongly worded letter via The Bridge?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

With so much work done by KDA, Tidy Towns, KCC and even pupils in the school, it's such a pity for this to happen Helena. Perhaps a strongly worded letter via The Bridge?

The area really is a credit to the town.

I think I might ring the school and see if anything comes of it. I would like to write a strongly worded letter to the bridge, but I don't think I'd be very good at it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

I know I'm going to sound like a moany old biddy and at 25 it's probably a bit too early in my life to be getting annoyed over things like this but.....

There is a park behind the credit union in Kilcullen, it runs along the river and is very pretty. Over the past few weeks, after the school lunch time, the park is absolutely destroyed with chipper wrappers, half drank milk shakes, plastic bottles etc. And not for a lack of bins. This was all dumped around the benches, most of which have a bin beside them. I was parked across the close today outside the bank and they where across the river kicking bottles and cans into the river. It's such a shame, the place really is beautiful.

do ring up the school or write a letter of complaint. some schools would argue that once the kids are off school property its nothing to do with them, other wold be more strict.
    if the school does not take action take photos and send them into the local newspaper.

• Advertisement

maybe its not a school issue. most kids learn basic things like picking up rubbish in the home. the school assumes they know this. it could therefore be an issue for the community of Kilcullen.

The area really is a credit to the town.

I think I might ring the school and see if anything comes of it. I would like to write a strongly worded letter to the bridge, but I don't think I'd be very good at it. :)

why not get a group of people to ring? its something that bothers others.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

There is a park and river in Kilcullen... haha!

Im living there 2 years and didnt know, i really should explore the town more.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

take lots of notes on the behaviour around there and write in to The Bridge (local paper). the school could do very little afaik. maybe have a word with the traffic warden that walks up mainstreet most days. i think he covers litter too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭I_luv_2_ski!

if the school was anything like my old school they'd be banned from the shop.

We didn't get out for lunch but during Junior Cert and Leaving Cert we were allowed leave and the nearest place was Esso...well Esso rang the school complaining about the liter and the school said if it happened again to not let us into the shop any more! so our school was banning us through the garage.

The all boys school in the area were barred from the apple green while in uniform due to robbing and "unsociable behavior" liter and stuff.

the point of this is that maybe you should get the chipper to say it to the kids that they wont be served if they keep littering.

It might just work!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

goodlad wrote: »

And did you know the river is The Liffey - Now are you a Nordsider or A southsider? :D

You can't be serious?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

You can't be serious?

I am serious, im living in Cnoc Na Greine.
    I leave early in the morning and dont get home till about 7 so never really do anything in the town.

Sure i only discovered the car park behind the butchers about a month ago, lol

Have you found the Fountain? If not I shall draw ye a map to the Fountainous booty, where you can feed upon all things tasty and greasy.

Yargh

/pirate

And getting trying to get the chipper to stop serving the schoolkids would be pointless. There's no way they would. They open pretty much specifically for the schools lunch break.

I am serious, im living in Cnoc Na Greine.
    I leave early in the morning and dont get home till about 7 so never really do anything in the town.

Sure i only discovered the car park behind the butchers about a month ago, lol

o/ howdy

Sounds like Kilcullen is a HUGE place!

Sounds like Kilcullen is a HUGE place!
    Giganta-normous! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,729 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

And the younger generations are ment to be more environmentally aware:confused:

This is a problem up and down the country with many of our rivers choked with plastic rubbish, particualry plastic bottles which will pollute our water and soil for years to come - eventually ending up in the human food chain and even breast milk. It makes you wonder what type of environmental responsiblity/studies is taught in secondary schools if any??:mad:

None, if my experiences in secondary school is anything to go by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Sinann

The older childern littering every lunch time is a problem all over the town, but it's worse in the Valley Park because there is no one to clean up after the little brats, the supermarket has to clean up every day after them and the residents of the town often have to clean up out side there homes.

A lady living on street told three students having lunch on her window sil that she didn't mind as long as they didn't leave their rubbish behind, you guessed it they left a load of stuff behind, so she stopped two teachers on their way back to the school and complained, shortly after a group of students arrived to clean up the mess.

Sadly it seems to be an age thing, at least I hope it's an age thing and not simply that they are so thick they don't know how to use a bin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

please complain to the school with times etc. but there is an ongoing problem there - see the http://kilcullenbridge.blogspot.com/ for older blog entries.
    generally the teenagers around are polite and engage with you so if you feel like it you should give them a piece of your mind!
    loving this thread btw.
    If you are living in Kilcullen and not getting out and about you are not alone - my oh is not very familiar with the area too. FYI the playgroup is producing a guide for parents this year, but perhaps we should start a thread here on the highs and lows of living in the area.
    Here is my fav Kilcullen graffiti from the mo.

why not find out who they are and complain to the parents? who has responsibility over them when they are no longer on school grounds? the days when the school accepted such responsibilty are over.

if you photo them in the act and send it in to the local paper their parents would be suitably mortfied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Sinann

Fuinseog wrote: »
    why not find out who they are and complain to the parents? who has responsibility over them when they are no longer on school grounds? the days when the school accepted such responsibilty are over.

if you photo them in the act and send it in to the local paper their parents would be suitably mortfied.

Pretty sure printing photos of children is illegal without permission.

Anyways from the Diary

"The seat beside the rock at the bridge end will be relocated to the lower area beside the pond, and will then be in full view of the bridge. This move is because the area where the seat is currently located is a litter trap for material left behind by schoolchildren in daytime and those involved in night 'activities' there."

from reading the photography forum it is not illegal to photograph or publish photographs of people in public places.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭catiny

you could suggest that the transition year students do a clean up or petition for a busca bruscar to be put in the vicinity..

Tis what transition year is for! :)

The kilcullen bridge blogspot has a piece on it - http://kilcullenbridge.blogspot.com/2010/01/valley-hidey-holes-to-be-closed.html

ps: if you would like to support a new addition to the infrastructure - Table Quiz on feb 8th in the Hideout in aid of the Kilcullen Playground. Give the kids somewhere else to trash this year ;-)

Advertisement