Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

VW & Audi Carnage in Cork

• 20-11-2009 9:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭

Apparently there was an official opening of the Orchard Road, Cork VW dealership. A load of big wigs were down staying in the Kingsley hotel & they also had a load of demo cars in the car park.
    With the floods a load of VW & Audi cars were destroyed in the Kingsley Hotel underground & overground car parks. It is going to take a number of weeks to pump out the underground car park.
    You can see here some of the cars, these were under water at one stage.

11.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

AFAIK this was being held in the Kingsley Hotel in Cork - 20th & 21st Nov!!!!!

There is no emoticon for how I'm feeling right now...

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

:eek: not good at all. What's a car worth after that sort of damage? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

Hal1 wrote: »
    :eek: not good at all. What's a car worth after that sort of damage? :(

next to nothing, probably 10% of its value, theyll be auctioned off for peanuts.

€0 I presume!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

jesus h c :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

So all the cars for the puredrive thing are destroyed. Will they have any proper cars for the event in galway next weekend now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭mcmc

:eek:Holy sh*t:eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Holy crap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

I think it might worth going down here on Sunday to see if it is still a swimming pool, it would be a tear jerking moment photographing a flooded R8 with an equally flooded S8 sitting on the roof of the R8 upside down:eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Emmm how many exactly cars were underground?! thought now they have no value at all... maybe just for scrapyard for panels...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I suppose the panels and alloys would be alright, i suppose it depends on whether or not they've flipped over or not with the water flooding in

I suppose the panels and alloys would be alright, i suppose it depends on whether or not they've flipped over or not with the water flooding in

hmm i am not sure if they would have been flipped... But yeah, alloys and panels the only things that might be still okay...

Electronics and all drivetrain bits can go just to bin...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Well at least now they dont have to try and sell em :eek:

Some of the stuff that was there:
    http://vagdrivers.net/forums/index.php?s=&showtopic=36415&view=findpost&p=358925

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,575 ✭✭✭junkyard

Didn't any of ye see Transporter 3? A bit of water damage is no problem to an Audi.......shur the one in the film was towed out of the river and went on to finish the film no problem........or maybe they'll be selling new Audis with a water feature now!:)

craichoe wrote: »

http://vagdrivers.net/forums/index.php?s=&showtopic=36415&view=findpost&p=358925

LOL

I actually not a fan of audi, but i could see a better death for them... mondello, redline, 24h! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

craichoe wrote: »

Aww god, that R8!:(:(:eek:

That car may as well be at the bottom of the ocean down there in that underground car park!:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Oh this makes me feel sick literally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,582 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

-Chris- wrote: »
    AFAIK this was being held in the Kingsley Hotel in Cork - 20th & 21st Nov!!!!!

There is no emoticon for how I'm feeling right now...

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Was due to attend this today. They rang to say it was cancelled - I asked about the cars and she said that they were fine - still on the truck. Probably being rescheduled for two weeks time. Having said that, I heard from someone-who-knows-someone that some Audi cars were damaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

I dont think the damage is substantial - some water got in to some of them but images of 20 or 30 Audi/VW's being in the underground car park in 20 feet of water are way wide of the mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

pvt.joker wrote: »
    next to nothing, probably 10% of its value, theyll be auctioned off for peanuts.

Hmm, pity its so hard to find out what "happens next" for stuff like this. Wouldnt mind messing with flooded cars (not my own, something Id buy for cheap).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Well I guess best thing would be to strip it down and sell panels off + mechanical parts and engine etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Was due to attend this today. They rang to say it was cancelled - I asked about the cars and she said that they were fine - still on the truck. Probably being rescheduled for two weeks time. Having said that, I heard from someone-who-knows-someone that some Audi cars were damaged.

And there was me thinking i might get a nice set of alloys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Look on the bright side. A flood damaged Audi will probably be more reliable then a dry one :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,931 ✭✭✭patrickc

i heard the poor security guard was there at 8pm yesterday, until this afternoon, stranded on top of his van, he was supposed to be finished at 8am this morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

I don't think the cars were still on the truck. Was talking to someone in the county hall who said they saw Audi's being offloaded from a transporter outside the Kingsley on Thursday. So there were defo some new Audi's involved in the flooding... just hopefully not beauts like the R8 and S4!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

patrickc wrote: »
    i heard the poor security guard was there at 8pm yesterday, until this afternoon, stranded on top of his van, he was supposed to be finished at 8am this morning

He'd want to be some fool to sit there for that long provided he couldnt swim of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

With sales down and a forecourt full of stock for the garage owner it's like winning the lotto, provided he had them insured for flood damage :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    it's like winning the lotto

Until he has to pay his insurance premium next year, insurance companies don't like to loose!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Until he has to pay his insurance premium next year, insurance companies don't like to loose!

Yes what he gains this year will be taken the next. He might have even been unlucky enough not to have been able to get flood insurance because of the area he is in, hope it works out for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

oh no please say those Audis didnt get destroyed like that? That is a tradegy. The sad thing is that somebody will be bankrupt after all of this. I think a bill should be sent to the ESB for all of this mess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

teednab-el wrote: »
    I think a bill should be sent to the ESB for all of this mess.

I dont follow.

How do you blame the esb? Im sure they actually absorbed some of the initial flood by allowing the dam/reservoir to fill to max level before opening the flood gates. THe only way they could have significantly helped would have been to drain all the stored water in the days & weeks before the flood thereby allowing them to have more storage capacity but I think the time it would take to do this far out reaches the safe weather forecasting. THe esb couldnt possibly do this based on the possibility of a flood as this would mean they would have to close down the plant for the winter months as a flood is always possible at this time of year.

How do you explain flooding all over uk and other parts of ireland where the esb are not involved?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Bit backwards Mick, they should have been releasing their buildup of water gradually at low tide. Because they were assisting with the search for the missing student (Admirable of them, and all that), they didn't have the foresight to see the storm coming and empty their resevoir as much as possible as a consequence.

You're right, Cork isn't the only place to have been flooded, and the flooding would have occured anyway, but the ESB suddenly and rapidly filled up Cork with a few million litres of water which compounded the problem, and led to metre high floods instead of the usual foot high ones. At one point according to a city council meeting, there was 800 tonnes of water per second coming from inniscarra.

I'm sure if the ESB had a bit of hindsight, they'd say that they should have been letting the water out bit by bit over the days before the main storm, and even though it would have affected the search for the missing student (Who might not even be in the river), that it would have benefited the city as a whole instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

mickdw wrote: »
    I dont follow.

How do you blame the esb? Im sure they actually absorbed some of the initial flood by allowing the dam/reservoir to fill to max level before opening the flood gates. THe only way they could have significantly helped would have been to drain all the stored water in the days & weeks before the flood thereby allowing them to have more storage capacity but I think the time it would take to do this far out reaches the safe weather forecasting. THe esb couldnt possibly do this based on the possibility of a flood as this would mean they would have to close down the plant for the winter months as a flood is always possible at this time of year.

How do you explain flooding all over uk and other parts of ireland where the esb are not involved?
    Because the esb are in charge on the Inniscarra dam. They also drove around to the local Inniscarra residents and told them that there would be flooding - bad flooding. They had to release water from the dam at a rate of 500 tons of water per second!
    There is nothing the esb could have done differently really. The water was up to the top of the dam and apparently splashing over the top at one stage.
    The esb cannot be blamed - what else could they do? Wait until the dam burst which could have killed thousands?
    It is a disaster, a few Audis and vw's being destroyed in the floods is the least of the problems faced by hundreds of house holders in Cork at the moment.

So, back on topic, what will be the future for these cars?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

So, back on topic, what will be the future for these cars?

I bet they will be done up and cleaned and possibly sold off elsewhere if the engines in them still work.

• Advertisement

Bit backwards Mick, they should have been releasing their buildup of water gradually at low tide. Because they were assisting with the search for the missing student (Admirable of them, and all that), they didn't have the foresight to see the storm coming and empty their resevoir as much as possible as a consequence.

You're right, Cork isn't the only place to have been flooded, and the flooding would have occured anyway, but the ESB suddenly and rapidly filled up Cork with a few million litres of water which compounded the problem, and led to metre high floods instead of the usual foot high ones. At one point according to a city council meeting, there was 800 tonnes of water per second coming from inniscarra.

I'm sure if the ESB had a bit of hindsight, they'd say that they should have been letting the water out bit by bit over the days before the main storm, and even though it would have affected the search for the missing student (Who might not even be in the river), that it would have benefited the city as a whole instead.
    Sorry, not true.
    Yes they assisted as much as they could but they still had to release water during the search. So much so that the search coordinators were complaining about the amount of water being releasd from the dam.
    Do you think that the esb didn't forsee the storm conditions and the ground saturation that led to the dam filling so quickly?
    Its just a sh1t situation. I don't think any one group or organisation can be blamed here.

teednab-el wrote: »
    I bet they will be done up and cleaned and possibly sold off elsewhere if the engines in them still work.
    They will have to be stripped at the very least all right. I can't imagine the engines being any good though.

cadaliac wrote: »
    Do you think that the esb didn't forsee the storm conditions and the ground saturation that led to the dam filling so quickly?

I think they didn't think everything through, and I'm not alone in it. I know one ESB staff member who thinks the same, and the City Council is pretty much reaching the same conclusion. Anyway, there are dozens of threads in the Cork forum if you want to discuss this, this is the Motors forum.

I'm not sure what can be done with these cars. I'd imagine the cost of stripping them and making sure they're in working order after parts had been replaced would be prohibitive. The only car I could see them doing that with is the R8 perhaps. Was chatting about this to a friend, and we were trying to come up with all the different things you could do - restoring them aside. He reckoned they could be used as props for Motorshows once the interiors had been replaced/refurbished, or sold for parts. I'm still trying to come up with ideas, anyone else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

Was it actually confirmed that the R8, S4 etc were down there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 831 ✭✭✭rotinaj

Flooding of that car park was just waiting to happen. Who ever granted planning permission for it should be shot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Redisle wrote: »
    Was it actually confirmed that the R8, S4 etc were down there?
    From what I heard, the majority of the cars were moved from the underground carpark on Thursday night around 8pm before the flood waters really started to hit. I'd assume that the most expensive would have been in the cars removed and not left behind.

That's good to hear. I've heard as well that the damage isn't as bad as you'd expect. They're very, very lucky, but I'm glad - I hate the idea of really nice motors like that ending up in a "watery grave".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Just spotted this on Youtube. Is that a R8 @ 1:26 or am I imagining things?

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

It certainly does look like it. Water doesn't look too high against it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

I've heard conflicting reports about the Audi meet - some people are saying that most of the cars were still on transporters, and others are saying that there were a number of cars in the underground carpark.

Either way, any of the cars that are flooded are more or less write off's.

There's something behind the lobby entrance pillars alright at 1.26, if you squint it looks like the rear quarter louvres of an r8, but it's such a blurry video, it's hard to tell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

h3000 wrote: »
    Just spotted this on Youtube. Is that a R8 @ 1:26 or am I imagining things?

Yup, that's the Blue R8 5.2 that was parked at the Dublin Pure Drive :(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

R.O.R wrote: »
    Yup, that's the Blue R8 5.2 that was parked at the Dublin Pure Drive :(:(

Well its sold now.

Hope Hibernian/Axa/Quinn enjoy looking at it in their yard for the next 100 years. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Oh dear god :(:(:(

DSC02621.jpg

From VAGdrivers thread above

Well its sold now.

Hope Hibernian/Axa/Quinn enjoy looking at it in their yard for the next 100 years. :D

To be fair, water damaged or not, I'd enjoy looking at it on my driveway for the next 100 years too :)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement