Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

VW & Audi Carnage in Cork

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Surely given it's value it would be worth stripping it out and rebuilding it though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

EPM wrote: »
    Surely given it's value it would be worth stripping it out and rebuilding it though?

How much is stripping that engine down, replacing certain parts, new wiring looms, a lot of electrics, possibly a new interior, brakes, etc etc going to cost?

On top of that, who will buy a flood damaged supercar? I know I wouldn't. It's worth nuts now. I cant see Audi spending alot of bread to get it back into top condition, only to rick nobody buying it because its damaged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

That R8 wouldnt be damaged if the water level didnt get any higher than shown there apart from some minor issues maybe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Strip it and make it a track slut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

mickdw wrote: »
    That R8 wouldnt be damaged if the water level didnt get any higher than shown there apart from some minor issues maybe

Try explaining that to a customer.

"but the water was only up to the wheels"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

Hmmmm....I wonder how much you'd buy it back off the insurance crowd for? T'would make a nice garden feature ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Try explaining that to a customer.

"but the water was only up to the wheels"

Ya I know but if it hasnt got into it and it starts & drives with no faults, many people would buy at seriously reduced price

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

All depends on how high it got. In the video it doesn't even seem to reach the base of the chassis. If that was the case, no worse then driving through a puddle. The car was probably driven to the highest point available once it was cut off. It's nearly in the front door of the hotel.

Actually, just compared a picture from their website to the video. The car at that stage is only sitting in about 3-4 inches of water. You can see the base of the pillar is thicker at the bottom. You can still see the tops of these in the video.

Red-Carpet-Entrance.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Shires

JimBob85 wrote: »
    Flooding of that car park was just waiting to happen. Who ever granted planning permission for it should be shot

Ah the old brown paper envelope phenomenon.. The same one that lets housing developments spring up on known flood planes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

MarkR wrote: »
    It certainly does look like it. Water doesn't look too high against it.

The R8 is up on the steps at the entrance,remember the water has dropped it was much higher.Driving it up there wouldn't have been kind on the car either but a lot better than it being submerged :D

At the end of the day its only a car lads,many people have had their homes ruined and lost their businesses in the grand scheme of things a truck load of cars is not important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

OK, to end the speculation...

I've been speaking to someone who knows about all the goings-on, and it's been confirmed that no cars were damaged badly due to the flooding - it was me fearing the worst and wild speculation from all of us.

Any "damage" was mostly superficial, no cars are write-offs. You can even see most of them parked above-ground in the original photo!

If weather permits, the Pure Drive event will go ahead in Galway this weekend, which should be proof that the cars are relatively unscathed.
    Further proof is that afaik Audi are registering the R8 V10 to their own fleet next year (for press purposes etc. I don't think anyone's lucky enough to get an R8 as a company car... :P:D). You damn sure don't give the press a car that you fear is going to have issues!

Anyhoo, other than the OP's photo and the wild rumours floating around (pun not intended), there's been no solid information here, and it's not fair for the future owner of the R8 V10 to have to worry about us commenting on how he thinks he's cod's gift, how he'll get an extra couple of BHP if he'll tuna his engine or how he'll never find a plaice in Ireland where he can explore the limits of his car...

The cars are fine, and the rest is just gossip.

And on that note, thread closed!
    :D:D:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement