Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurant Menu's

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,779 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I'm afraid that I'd have to disagree... I find some of those descriptions odd to say the least & difficult to interpret. For example:

Bonbon, Mi-Cuit, Iced, Marinated, The salmon or the cucumber?
    Virtual Soil wtf?
    Grapefruit Powder
    Onion Textures
    Coffee Structures
    Yoghurt Spheres

Pretentious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

And why not just say what it is "farmed salmon". Btw no objection to farmed salmon as i dont eat salmon - wild or farmed.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

That menu is bizarre. It's just a collection of words, with no actual descriptions. Normally I can feel my mouth watering when I read a menu, but that one just confused me. Very poorly done.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,528 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

The layout is fine, but the content is truly awful. Someone was payed by the comma. I'm sure the food could be great, but the way the menu was put together is off-putting. A sprinkling of verbs would help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

sounds like some ones trying to be heston Blewmingadale

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 epicurist

dear all

many thanks for your responses
    I just want to know what do YOU think is a nice menu.
    Like with all things opinions can be different, what 1 thinks is awfull the other finds attractive.

so pls give examples ......
    the menu first given is maybe a extreme example.

but pls copy paste a link to menu you find attractive

• Registered Users Posts: 22,779 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Someone was payed by the comma...

...A sprinkling of verbs would help.

QFT & ROFL respectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

OK, I see that the writer of that menu is trying to be 'deconstructed' and just lists the ingredients. Personally, I'd rather read descriptions of both the ingredients and how the food is cooked. Menus in high calibre restaurants should tell a little story.

The Christmas menu section at the bottom is far better as it is simpler.

Thornton's is a great restaurant - here is a link to their pre-threatre menu. It's a Michelin starred restaurant with complex dishes, yet the menu is simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,528 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Hi Epicurist, I think you may be missing the point. The food may be great. The ingredients may be of the highest standard. The combination of flavours may be wonderful. The problem is with the manner in which the menu is presented.

Your menu (*assumption*) seems to follow the style of Patrick Guilbaud's, i.e. Primary ingredient, followed by supporting/complimentary ingredients, however, it reads like a recipe without the instructions. When you read Guilbaud's menu you have an idea of how the food is cooked, e.g. pan roast duck foie gras, stewed apple, etc. Whereas the quoted menu comes across as the list of everything that is included on the plate. Again, i'll stress, the food combinations may be great, it is just the wording that I find fault with.

Example:
    Beetroot 2009
    Composition, Dehydrated Cherries, Cashel Blue Cheese,
    Gold Vinaigrette, Nasturtium Leaves

This tells me nothing, except that the beetroot is at least from 2009, and that other flavours (listed) are included. The author of the menu needs to figure out how to add a little passion to the menu.... and remove some commas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

It is a matter of prefernece i guess, i do like the style it is writen in but this particular one isnt executed very well.
    The French Laundry dose this style of menu writing very well i think...it allows you to interpit what you want from it without telling you to much...allowing for a bit of suprise and drama.

example...http://www.tkrg.org/upload/fl_menu.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Whereas the quoted menu comes across as the list of everything that is included on the plate.
    I agree, it reads like a shopping list.

Mr.Boots wrote: »
    The French Laundry dose this style of menu writing very well i think...it allows you to interpit what you want from it without telling you to much...allowing for a bit of suprise and drama.
    I think the "surprise and drama" should come from how the food is presented on the plate and not from the lack of clarity on the menu.

If dishes on a menu are not explained clearly enough people tend to be reluctant to try anything different and just revert to trying something they recognise for fear of getting "actual soil" instead of "virtual soil" whatever the fook that is. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I agree, it reads like a shopping list.

I think the "surprise and drama" should come from how the food is presented on the plate and not from the lack of clarity on the menu.

If dishes on a menu are not explained clearly enough people tend to be reluctant to try anything different and just revert to trying something they recognise for fear of getting "actual soil" instead of "virtual soil" whatever the fook that is. :confused:

LOL yea agree with the "soil" thinghy.
    Also agree that some people might be a bit intimidated by a menu they cant realy relate to, but to those with a open mind and perhaps a better understanding it can be quite exciting.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Mr.Boots wrote: »
    ...but to those with a open mind and perhaps a better understanding it can be quite exciting.
    I agree to an extent, but it's a bit of a gamble for a business.

Advertisement