Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Constant Motion

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

To feel so crAp so early in the race and still get a PB is a great achievement RK. The fast start probably didn't help if your stomach was a bit sensitive anyway? It's so hard to get the timing right... in a big crowd it's hard to judge your own pace at the start.
    (kirby needs a garmin :cool:).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

littlebug wrote: »
    (kirby needs a garmin :cool:).
    Never were truer words spoken :pac:

10k is a hard distance to pace anyway though, you're thinking "it's short, go out hard" like you would in a 5k... but if you go out too hard you'll die on your feet after 7-8km. If you go out at closer to 10 mile/HM pace you'll finish far too slowly and still have boatloads of energy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Wow! For such a hellish sounding race you did really well to get a PB. And the weather was totally terrible, which I'm sure didn't help the head.

Not that I'm any expert, but I know that any change in diet before a hard run causes me no end of grief (forgive the pun:p) so I'd get that tooth looked at get yourself back on track!

Congrats again on a great run, and a great motivating story for the rest of us! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Emer911 wrote: »

and a great motivating story for the rest of us! :D

+1 to that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 298 ✭✭earnyourturns

Well done RK! You're an absolute gunner these days.

WARNING: EXTREME YUCKINESS AHEAD

If it makes you feel any better about GI issues, when I was running a half-marathon on Sunday, at around the 11 mile marker I thought "what's that smell? Are we running by a sewage pipe?". Then I realised that the woman in front of me, wearing extremely short shorts, had had - eh - a bowel malfunction and that wasn't mud splashed down the back of her legs after all.

It was a good incentive to step up the pace. I'm still a bit traumatised though.

• Advertisement

WARNING: EXTREME YUCKINESS AHEAD

If it makes you feel any better about GI issues, when I was running a half-marathon on Sunday, at around the 11 mile marker I thought "what's that smell? Are we running by a sewage pipe?". Then I realised that the woman in front of me, wearing extremely short shorts, had had - eh - a bowel malfunction and that wasn't mud splashed down the back of her legs after all.
    OH JAYSUS :eek:

Now I know where that 7.xx mile near the end of your half came from! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 298 ✭✭earnyourturns

Yeah I still get a bit queasy thinking about it but I also just feel really sorry for that poor woman. There but for the grace of God (and Immodium) and all that. I'd had a bout of pre-race, er, issues myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Well done on the PB, sounds like you had a rough time of it today, and yesterday with a broken tooth.

+1 on the Garmin recommendation. They should put one in every goodie bag :) Today was my first race with a forerunner, and it made a big difference. Forced myself to slow down after the 1st 500 meters as I was going way too fast. It just seemed to push me a little harder in order to keep my target pace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

Too much lilt before the start?:pac: Just keep up the consistency in your training and you'll smash 50mins in September.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭plodder

Stomach problems are an absolute disaster for running a good time. For me, I have to make sure my last meal was at least 3 hours before racing, and I know I have a pretty strong stomach. Luckily, I've been ok for races, but I have been caught out once or twice for training runs. I've seen what happened to that other woman, before in the DCM. It happens unfortunately. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Fair play RK, even with all the problems you still hit a PB, can't ask for more than that! Sub 50 next time, deffo.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭OI

Well done on finishing rk, sounds like a nightmare

Just came across this article. Not sure if it might help you!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Congrats on the pb, lots of more 10ks to do to try and break that 50 min mark. Have you considered giving Dunshauglin a shot? or the Dublin 10k? the Luas will bring you close to the start of the Dublin 10k.

I'd consider Dunshaughlin if it wasn't on the same day as Dublin Pride! Most likely I'll be absolutely plastered drunk by the race start time. :pac:

In two minds about the Dublin 10k, it looks like a good chance to get a decent 10k time, but I'm not sure if I can really justify doing 2 races in July (am already entered for the Adidas race series 5 miler) and get my long runs in properly.

But I'd like to just say a gigantic F*CK YOU to South Dublin County Council about their work on the bus lane on the Firhouse Road though, they ripped out a perfectly good asphalt path and bike track section between the M50 bridge and just after Ballyboden St Enda's and replaced it with a section where the choice is concrete so hard that running 1 mile on it makes my knees hurt, concrete shaped like cobbles, and bike track that appears and disappears seemingly at random. This section has always composed a section of any training run longer than 5 miles that I've done, and I'm going to have to find somewhere different to run now because I'm going to end up injured if I don't find somewhere else.

KIRBY SMASH.
    I came down that way this evening. What the hell have they done. Its bloody awful, those cobbley things are brutal. I used to love that stretch, good surface, and slightly downhill, now its hopeless.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

You'll go sub-40 for the 5 mile race no bother! In my experience, that was a much easier target than sub-50...

Again, well done on your PB, tough day out and all that but you'll have better days!! Now get that masters finished and get a real job so you can afford a Garmin :P

Went out for 6 miles, made it 500m down the road before my stomach decided it didn't want to play... again. :mad:

I am so ****ing angry at my body right now you wouldn't believe it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

:( Is your diet still different with the broken tooth?
    Did you start out fast? It does sound odd and not like you at all :confused:

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

There are tummy bugs on the go right now. Maybe you have a touch of one, and you only feel it when your body is under pressure. Hopefully it will pass soon, pardon the pun. :)

• Advertisement

littlebug wrote: »
    :( Is your diet still different with the broken tooth?
    Did you start out fast? It does sound odd and not like you at all :confused:
    It's more normal today than it has been, maybe my body is going "What? Where's the Coke Zero!?" (I haven't drank any since Saturday and I normally drink about 2L a day). Started out quite slowly actually, was probably heading out at about 9.30/mile pace.
    Oryx wrote: »
    There are tummy bugs on the go right now. Maybe you have a touch of one, and you only feel it when your body is under pressure. Hopefully it will pass soon, pardon the pun. :)

That's a distinct possibility. Hard to say though exactly what's causing it, whatever it is I just wish it would bugger off. I was really looking forward to a good run today too :mad:

Finally got back out this evening, did 7 miles very easy. Not sure of exact times because I forgot my watch. Very nice run, lovely weather for it, and my stomach behaved itself - victory! :D

4 miles today (9.18/mile average pace), took me 3 miles to get into it and shake off the huge "MEH" feeling that was going on. Really couldn't go further though because my shoes are absolutely wrecked (basically about 10 miles away from being worn down to the white foam under the gel at the outside edge of both heels) and I didn't feel like risking anything. Contemplating a swim tomorrow...

Should be buying new shoes this week though, there's still no sign of a pair of size 7.5 women's Brooks Adrenaline at Runways though :mad: Went to Arnotts for a look yesterday though, tried on the 3020 (NOT PINK! WOOT!) and the 2150 (also not pink, if I can get the SS10 colourway rather than the newer one). Quite liked both of them, and would possibly consider getting both and rotating them for DCM training - 2150 for shorter runs, 3020 for longer ones. Arnotts sale starts Wednesday, we shall see! :pac:

This week has been pretty dire in general, I've felt like I was running with the head more than anything else this week (particularly on Monday at the Women's Mini-Marathon, a mind over matter exercise if ever there was one) and just trying to tell the body to shut up. That's not a good thing. Hopefully things pick up now over the next while.

On the subject of DCM training, I'm pretty much settled on using Higdon Intermediate 2, and starting a week early (ie. this Tuesday for the first 3-miler). Got my hands on the P&D book last week, and I think my base is too weak for the 18 week 55 mpw program, plus I don't really fancy 54 mile weeks at around the time my thesis is due. I'd definitely consider one for my third marathon though (quite possibly Connemara or Cork 2011).

Also, one last thing - was playing around with this last night - found it quite interesting :)

Starting a new plan is exciting. Good luck with it!

Ran to the pool (3 miles @ ~9.20/mile pace) and went for a swim this evening, did 1,200m freestyle and 200m breaststroke.

Then my purse was robbed from my backpack while I was waiting for a bus home. €45 and all my cards gone, and I had to walk the 3 miles home because the ****er got my bus card. :mad::(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

Ran to the pool (3 miles @ ~9.20/mile pace) and went for a swim this evening, did 1,200m freestyle and 200m breaststroke.

Then my purse was robbed from my backpack while I was waiting for a bus home. €45 and all my cards gone, and I had to walk the 3 miles home because the ****er got my bus card. :mad::(

Oh that's just ****, sorry :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

Ah jesus, what ****ers! Very annoying.

Ah no, thats a sickener. Where did it happen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

That's so annoying. My blood is boiling on your behalf! :mad:

• Advertisement

gerard65 wrote: »
    Ah no, thats a sickener. Where did it happen?

At the bus stop just outside Our Lady's, I swim at Terenure College pool.

Advertisement