Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Constant Motion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

No hangover on Sunday?! You lucky thing!! From the pics I saw on FB today you definitely looked like you should have been suffering :P

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

xebec wrote: »
    No hangover on Sunday?! You lucky thing!! From the pics I saw on FB today you definitely looked like you should have been suffering :P

Pics from Thursday, or pics from Saturday? :pac::p

Plan
    Monday | Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday
    rest|3 m|6 m|3 m|rest|6 m|8 m

Actual
    rest|4 m|||||Clontarf half

4 miles this evening (9.00/mile average pace), went out after the match and it was a very pleasant evening for it. Did the set of flexibility exercises from P&D afterwards, need to work on flexibility and core strength because I kinda lack both! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Are you doing a half marathon on Sunday?

Yup! Planning to do the half in Clontarf, but treating it as an LSR. I'm not in shape to really race it.

Wow! Good luck. Clontarf should be nice(ish) ...by the sea and all that!

You're well on top of Marathon training if you manage the half this weekend!

• Advertisement

It was fun last year... a huge sea mist rolled in for the beach section and it was really surreal! I'm really just taking the opportunity for a change of scenery and water stops on my long run.

Plan
    rest|3 m|6 m|3 m|rest|6 m|8 m

Actual
    rest|4 m|6 m||||Clontarf half

Tonight should have been a nice 6-miler, was feeling good, there was a light breeze and some drizzle so it was nice and cool. Unfortunately after 3 miles, some cow who couldn't control her dog spoilt it - her dog was on one of the extendible leashes, but not locked in the short position. A kid cycled quite close to me on a BMX, and that startled the dog, which promptly ran at me, and tripped me up when it tried to nutmeg me. Took quite a lot of the skin off my right knee and elbow and cut both hands too. Dragged myself back up, walked for a couple of minutes to make sure everything was structurally OK, and then decided the quickest way home was to just get on with the run. I finished out the 6 miles in around 57 minutes total (9.30ish/mile average pace), even with the little walk break. I'm well 'ard, me :pac::p

Great pace!

I'm convinced every time I see a dog that something is going to happen. I even avoid areas where I know people walk their dogs!

Hope you're ok and not too sore tomorrow!

It's touch and go whether I'm going to be racing on Sunday or not. The cuts on my right elbow have become quite infected, despite my best efforts, and it's quite difficult to either completely bend or completely straighten my arm. I'm heading to the doctor in the morning to get it checked out. Haven't run since Wednesday. :(

Went to doctor, and am now €50 poorer and on antibiotics. Also got a tetanus shot, which wasn't pleasant at all. I asked him about the half tomorrow - his response: "Up to you, see how you feel in the morning, but I'd be leaning towards not doing it". So basically I can do it if I want, but he doesn't recommend it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

ah no:( you've been having an unfortunate run (scuse the pun ) of bad luck lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Ah such hard luck, especially so close to race day.
    Hope the cut clears up & you're back running soon.

Sorry to hear. Especially as it clashes with the race. Hopefully the antibiotics will work quickly. So unfortunate!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Unfortunately after 3 miles, some cow who couldn't control her dog spoilt it - her dog was on one of the extendible leashes, but not locked in the short position. A kid cycled quite close to me on a BMX, and that startled the dog, which promptly ran at me, and tripped me up when it tried to nutmeg me.

Ouch!:( You poor thing! Hope it heals up quick enough.

Isn't it funny that cuts and grazes we would have completely ignored as kids are a real big thing when you're an adult? ...I haven't had a cut in so long (TG!)

I have no problem with dogs generally, but they always seem to want to run across my path when I'm running, which really puts me off my stride. And of course there's real risk of injury too with a rapid change of pace or direction.

Good luck with the recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Ah that's crap. Hope you're feeling alright soon and the training isn't too held up with the injury. I hate taking anti biotics as well...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Went to doctor, and am now €50 poorer and on antibiotics. Also got a tetanus shot, which wasn't pleasant at all. I asked him about the half tomorrow - his response: "Up to you, see how you feel in the morning, but I'd be leaning towards not doing it". So basically I can do it if I want, but he doesn't recommend it.

Pfft what do doctors know. Why not head out anyway and just treat it as a slightly faster paced LSR? Hope you heal up soon. We were talking about this today during out mountain training session, I was trying to decide who has the worst luck, me or you! About 20 minutes later I went on my snot and now I don't think I'll be able to offer the post race massage freebie in Clontarf tomorrow with my grazed hand, risk of infection would be huge if I was to massage tomorrow.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Head up and give it a shot, Id say. Worst thing that can happen is that you quit and sit on the wall and watch everyone else suffer. :) And at best you have a good run!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Oryx wrote: »
    Head up and give it a shot, Id say. Worst thing that can happen is that you quit and sit on the wall and watch everyone else suffer. :) And at best you have a good run!

I agree with this. Plus, it's out and back isn't it? Worst case scenario you have to walk or jog the three miles back to the start area.

Edit: I do realise it's more than 3 miles, I originally put in that it was laps :pac:

Well I was pretty much completely vindicated by my decision not to run the Clontarf half yesterday, my antibiotics have hit me like a truck and I spent most of the day vegging out on the couch because I felt so drained. Got out today though, needed some nice fresh air. 4 miles (9.10/mile average pace), felt harder than it should have. The war wounds still aren't fully healed yet, could feel the bruising on my left knee along with the cuts making themselves known. Wish it would all hurry up and heal, I'm going mad for a swim.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

Ah you poor things, sounds rough, but well done on the run, still faster than me uninjured!

• Advertisement

After watching Germany v Spain this evening (bloody Spain costing me a chance at €60 :mad: ), and a day of thesis work, I had to get out for a run this evening. Just did 4 miles (9.18/mile average pace), didn't want to push too hard while I'm still on antibiotics. Felt pretty good, could have gone further. Will hopefully get something longer in tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

That's such bad luck with the infection RK. Some anti b's can really are wipe you out so you are best to get it out of your system before getting stuck in properly. You'll bounce back stronger and faster afterwards.

Missed a few days, but back out this morning (the morning after the night before, LGBT forum beers last night in the Market Bar and quite a lot of Paulaner was consumed). 2 miles down to Tymon Park where I met up with Dotcomdolly and jcsmum for a very nice 5-miler in the park. Was planning to run home too, but the stomach lurching and general hungoverness just got a bit too much after 7 miles so I gladly accepted a lift home. Great to get to run with others, shall have to do that again! :)

I've pretty much decided to scrap my 4 hour time goal for DCM though - "finish, preferably faster than last year" is the new goal. Too much life happening this summer, between my thesis and the fact that every time I even think about training hard I get sick or injured or something. I'm very out of shape at the moment compared to where I want to be because this year has been pretty horrible training-wise. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

Lovely running with you , the Frank Duffy Ninja!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

I've pretty much decided to scrap my 4 hour time goal for DCM though

not to worry, plenty more marathons out there for the future, I'm in a similar boat to yourself, I've since given up on a DM time and will be more about getting around.
    Are you going to do the Firhouse 10k?

Woddle wrote: »
    Are you going to do the Firhouse 10k?
    Probably will, it would be a shame not to do a race so close to home! How about yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Probably will, it would be a shame not to do a race so close to home! How about yourself?

I was till about a minute ago when I checked the date, I'll be in Galway.
    You must be lloking at a quickish time?

Still dreaming of sub-50. *crosses fingers*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Good to see you're back running again despite that dogs best efforts and also fair juice for running with a hangover; not sure I could have managed that so definite respect :).

Sorry to hear about your training; betcha it's going to start getting better now though!

• Advertisement

Didn't run last night - bad weather combined with the start of a cold made my couch seem like a better idea. Yes, kirby is a wuss. :pac:

Went out for 4 miles today, 9.00/mile average pace. Still feeling a bit sinus-y, but it's all above the neck so Saturday is definitely on.

Advertisement