Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Constant Motion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭JEmily

I'm sorry RK, was so engrossed with my own injury i didn't see your post until now. As someone else said "it's an injury but it's not the worst". At least your allowed keep doing small runs, they will keep you definitely ticking over.

The only thig i can say is "stay positive and focussed". Even the world's best athletes get injuries but you have to just keep doing the best you can in the meantime. You'll get there. And maybe it will heal quicker than you think.

Sorry no other words but you'll be fine;)

P.S. Rest is the key, don't let anyone push you back before your ready, take it now and it will pay off down the line!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

ULstudent wrote: »
    Your at the stage now where short, sharp runs will keep you in grand form fitness wise for dublin
    Longest run I've done so far (this year) was just over 18 miles. The lack of a 20-miler worries me. Fcuk all I can do about that now though, let's see how Epically Undertrained Marathon turns out. 24 days of physio and hoping this injury goes soon...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Longest run I've done so far (this year) was just over 18 miles. The lack of a 20-miler worries me. Fcuk all I can
    do about that now though, let's see how Epically Undertrained Marathon turns out. 24 days of physio and hoping this injury goes soon...

18 miles was the longest i did for last years and it wasn't an epic diaster!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

with the strong base that you have I don't think those 2 miles will make much difference at this stage. just stick to the physios orders for the few weeks and you'll be fine!

I think I'll just go out at 10 min/mile pace (or at least try, can't guarantee that taper won't make me want to jump out stupidly fast for the first few miles) and see what happens. Barcelona is the real target now, tbh.

• Advertisement

*string of F-bombs*

Went out for a run this afternoon. Had an ache in my hip the whole time (pretty much right across the kinesiotaped area), which was gradually getting more annoying as time went on. Ended up calling it after 4.5 miles because it was worrying me. I'd planned to do 12 :(

Starting to get really worried now about DCM. Stupid body :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

Ugh how frustrating. Sorry to hear that, hopefully it'll get sorted in time.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Don't worry just yet RK. The short run might actually help just loosen things out. Give it another go tomorrow and see how you feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Ah bum, sorry to hear that RK. Hopefully you have a good run tomorrow to make up for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

So sorry to hear about your injury RK. Totally sucks. Keep the faith- you can still make it!

• Advertisement

Bally8 wrote: »
    So sorry to hear about your injury RK. Totally sucks. Keep the faith- you can still make it!

I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but I'm actually starting to get really worried now. Back at the physio on Tuesday, I'll see what she says then. Hate this crap :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

It sucks balls krby - it really does. I say for today 'pretend' everything is alright, and put the feet up, some dvds and chocolate and enjoy. If that makes you feel guilty, maybe go to the pool and then dvds?

It's not over til its over (RQ is living proof).

ULstudent wrote: »
    It's not over til its over (RQ is living proof).
    Seriously hope this is the case... feel like I'm going to have completely detrained by the time DCM rolls around. By then, it will have been 31 days since my last long run, my longest run has been 18 miles (I'd originally wanted to get multiple 20's in before DCM), and I've run a grand total of 7 miles this week when realistically if it wasn't for this injury I would have done 40+.

So frustrated right now it's not even funny. :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I feel your pain, really I do. I know EXACTLY how you're feeling right now. You still have time to recover and get the legs moving again before the marathon. This time last year my life was great I was all set for a 3:45 and a massive PB. I didn't have time when things fell apart for me last year, you DO.

You've done some great training, remember that PB you ran for the half just two weeks ago?! You were in good shape when you got injured, you won't lose much endurance over 4 weeks. You might have to readjust your time goal, but, there's great satisfaction in battling through a marathon when you weren't even sure if you'd make the start line(even when it takes 4:47!). You might have a difficult decision to make in 2/2.5 weeks time or even at the halfway mark, but they're things to worry about when they come up. Right now, just worry about keeping sane and getting better.

You can still do 10-12 miles the weekend before the marathon and that will be a massive confidence boost. You have time, you have fitness, you have endurance. By the time you got injured the majority of your training was done, you know this! Get to the pool and lash out 40 lengths, something you have no problem doing. Mithril had been suffering with his hip too, maybe take a look at his log and see what he was doing while he was out?

Stay positive, and as UL says kick back, put the feet up and try not to freak out. I know it's frustrating, I know it sucks, I know it feels as if all your hard work and effort is going to go to waste, I know you feel like punching a wall, I know you're probably wondering why you even bother, but, if running hurts that much nothing is going to get it better faster than chilling out.

Have faith in the training you've done, not only over the last 4 months, but over the last 2 years, all that stands to you now. You've been through worse than this, and when you do cross the finish line, even if it's not the time you originally planned for you'll all of a sudden remember why you bother.

I have no regrets whatsoever about running DCM '09 and Barca '10 even if it seemed really stupid to other people, I knew I'd come through them OK, slowly, but OK. On the other hand, I dropped out of Edinburgh two years in a row, deciding to run or deciding not to run are both difficult decisions. That will be your decision to make in a couple of weeks time, not NOW. You still have the luxury of time. Enjoy having the luxury of time.

Oh and enjoy work tomorrow! :D

Seriously hope this is the case... feel like I'm going to have completely detrained by the time DCM rolls around. By then, it will have been 31 days since my last long run, my longest run has been 18 miles (I'd originally wanted to get multiple 20's in before DCM), and I've run a grand total of 7 miles this week when realistically if it wasn't for this injury I would have done 40+.

So frustrated right now it's not even funny. :(

I ran zero last week mileage wise. I'm living proof, hang in there!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Regardless of what your body is doing wrong, dont let your head get defeated at this stage, because that will stop you more than anything. Stay positive and focus on race day. Youre good for it, dont forget that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

I can't add to what the others are already saying RK. You know yourself what you would say to anyone else in the same situtation.
    Fingers crossed the injury behaves. Once you get to the startline you WILL get to the finish line.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Hope it all heals quickly for you RK and you cross the finish line with a smile on you face!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭opus

Still a reasonable amount of time left for your injury to get sorted so fingers crossed. Hopefully you'll still be able to run Dublin with the training you've already done & like everyone else is saying don't give up on it yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Fingers (and everything else crossed for you) to make it to the start line.

As RQ says enjoy work and hopefully that will prove a good distraction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

So sorry to read about Saturdays run Rainbow. I can feel your frustration, and worries. It sucks to be injured at this stage.

Fingers crossed, this week will be a much better week - you have the fitness and ability, the injury has just knocked your confidence.

Take care of yourself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

RK, am so so sorry to hear about your run at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Perkina3

Hey RK.....If it makes you feel anybetter.....My hamstrings have shortened so I am going to be living in the physio to keep me ticking over till the DCM..... After that I am into 2 months of stretchs to increase the flexibilty there and make sure I get them sorted

You will be fine for the DCM... Jus like you have been advising us you rest yourself and remember that on raceday you will haev a 10 minute bump on ur time.....Jus cuz its race day! :)

Decided to chance one more short run before the physio attacks me again tomorrow. 4 miles, ~10 min/mile pace, hip felt better than it did on Saturday. Still noticeable, but not the constant ache that was there a couple of days ago. I wonder did squeezing myself into a pair of size 10 Nike compression shorts help? :pac:

Also, all of you guys rock <3

Well I really did get attacked by the physio this evening. Dry needling to the hip, ITB and glute - that hurt so much you wouldn't believe it. Have to go back for more of that on Thursday too. Physio wasn't sounding too positive about DCM either - lots of mentions of "taking the long view", and lots of Barcelona talk. Apparently Saturday was a bit of a test of the injury, and I failed miserably. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

:(
    fingers crossed it turns around in time

Ah RK, that sucks. Hopefully you'll get to the start line in one piece. Or else... We could walk it together! We'll rope in RQ as well, we'll start up at the front and all them pesky runners with their 'oooh I did a 22 mile lsr' talk will have to get by us, tee hee, imagine the fun ;)

racheljev wrote: »
    Or else... We could walk it together! We'll rope in RQ as well, we'll start up at the front and all them pesky runners with their 'oooh I did a 22 mile lsr' talk will have to get by us, tee hee, imagine the fun ;)

Link arms.
    Tesco bag of sambos.
    Cans of lilt.

We'll be cool. :cool:

Link arms.
    Tesco bag of sambos.
    Cans of lilt.

We'll be cool. :cool:
    Sambos? No way, bags of monster munch have all the nutrition we need ;)

• Advertisement

I got dry needling done on my calf, worst pain i've ever had. Nearly fainted on the plint. But i think it may work for you too. Wait and see how you get on this week, it's only Wednesday.

I found Arnica gel brill for the bruising and swelling, (MrSlow said i'm a Rep for Arnica). But it's better than all the rest out there imo and it's cheap.

Advertisement