Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Constant Motion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Fingers & toes crossed for you Rainbow! Best of luck tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

JEmily wrote: »
    I found Arnica gel brill for the bruising and swelling, (MrSlow said i'm a Rep for Arnica). But it's better than all the rest out there imo and it's cheap.

+1 on the arnica! I'm never without a tube of the stuff.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

JEmily wrote: »
    I found Arnica gel brill for the bruising and swelling, (MrSlow said i'm a Rep for Arnica). But it's better than all the rest out there imo and it's cheap.
    Must grab some of that tomorrow. Worth a shot anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

I had loads of dry needling done last year on an iffy glute, right up to DCM and it worked wonders. Not a bother on race day. You've still a few weeks to go.

More needles this evening, according to my physio I have a very high pain threshold :eek: They do seem to be helping, she did say that my ITB didn't seem as tight this evening as it did on Tuesday. I'm allowed to go for 6-7 miles on Saturday - fingers crossed that goes well!

I'm not out of DCM yet, so I'd better lay off the comfort eating...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Fingers crossed so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

I'm allowed to go for 6-7 miles on Saturday - fingers crossed that goes well!

Good news i suppose. You can do the simon race and subsequent boardsies drinking session then ;). 10 pints are great for an injury, numbs the pain i believe :p

Good woman Rainbow Kirby :D It'll all be worth it!

6.5 miles (9.09/mile average pace) this afternoon. Hip still doesn't feel quite right but it's hard to tell whether that's residual ouchiness from having needles poked into it, or whether it's the injury still playing up. Felt feckin' great to get out though, mentally I really needed that.

Also can't help but notice that during this run I hit 4 hour PMP exactly on the nail... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

6.5 miles (9.09/mile average pace) this afternoon. Hip still doesn't feel quite right but it's hard to tell whether that's residual ouchiness from having needles poked into it, or whether it's the injury still playing up. Felt feckin' great to get out though, mentally I really needed that.

Also can't help but notice that during this run I hit 4 hour PMP exactly on the nail... :rolleyes:

Hope this means you've turned the corner? Fingers crossed for a good recovery.

• Advertisement

Emer911 wrote: »
    Hope this means you've turned the corner? Fingers crossed for a good recovery.

I really, really hope so...

Physio again tonight. Have definitely noticed a difference in the last few days, things have improved quite considerably. More needling tonight, mostly on glute and piriformis, but nowhere near as painful as the two sessions last week.

I'm allowed to run the rest of the taper as originally planned (as in, short runs during the week, 8-10 mile LSR at the weekend, couple of easy runs next week). Will make a final decision with the physio as regards DCM next week when I talk to her, but her current view is "All systems go, as long as it doesn't get any worse".

Also, in case people didn't see it elsewhere, I got my masters results yesterday. I got a 2:1 overall (3.33 GPA). :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Congrats RK :)
    Great that you're back running too.. the girls are dropping like flies at the minute:(

Got out for 4 miles (9.50/mile average pace) this evening. Probably should have waited until tomorrow because I got needled again last night and it was definitely sore over the needling site. *sigh*

Saw a poster on a bus stop at Merrion Square today from Spar relating to the marathon... :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭earnyourturns

Well done on your Masters results! Hope the body holds together for DCM as well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭JEmily

Well done on your Masters results! Hope the body holds together for DCM as well :)

+1 ^^^

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

+1 from me too. :)

Saw a poster on a bus stop at Merrion Square today from Spar relating to the marathon... :eek:

I love looking out for the bus stop posters and the road signs warning of traffic delays etc. Brings out the goosebumps in the last week of training.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

Congratulations on the masters & sounds like you're on track for DCM as well!

Congrats on the Masters RK, and turning the corner with the injury. You'll back on track now :)

• Advertisement

Did my longest run in October today, 8.5 miles (9.24/mile average pace). Absolutely gorgeous day for it, even if I did slightly overdress by wearing a long-sleeve half-zip top with my capris!

The run felt surprisingly tough for the distance, though part of that could probably be put down to the fact that I went out too fast (unsurprising really, lots of pent-up energy), and the fact that I haven't run more than 6 miles at a time since September 28. The injury has very noticeably improved, and it feels like more of a dull ache across the area now than any sharp or burning pain. The fact that it's still making its presence felt is bothering me though. It diminished in intensity (oddly enough) through the later stages of the run, though that may have something to do with the fact that I was slowing down. I also feel a little out of alignment, which is definitely annoying. Feels like my right side is much heavier than my right and that the hip is still tight (I sense a lot of lunges in my future...). This is forcing my weaker left side to take up a lot of slack, and probably risks an overcompensation injury at some point.

Will have to see how it fares over the next couple of days in terms of recovery - I need to do a 6-miler too before I go back to the physio on Tuesday, and I'll probably do that on Monday after work. I've also been doing my physio exercises religiously - that includes getting up at 6.15am rather than 6.30am to do some before work, IT band stretches in the bathroom at work, and doing more every evening. Gotta do what ya gotta do...

Where do I stand as regards DCM? That's a trickier question to answer. It's started to hit me just how much I have emotionally committed to this, and it would really, really hurt not to do it. At the moment I think it's a case of "heart says yes, head says no, body says maybe" - but I'll make no final decisions until I discuss it with the physio on Tuesday evening. I don't want to lose these fragile shreds of recovery from this injury that I'm clinging onto, and I fear that doing a marathon in just over a week's time, where I feel I can't do myself justice anyway, may be counterproductive. I don't really want to risk putting myself out of Barcelona too.

4 miles this evening, no watch - time isn't really important for these few runs this week. Wind and rain the whole time, 2 miles of this run was into a headwind which was blowing the rain straight into my face. Don't ya just love autumn in Ireland? :pac:

Injury check-in: Still there, it hasn't gotten any worse, in fact it's gotten slightly better (which makes me :D ). Still some similar worries to Saturday, I feel like I'm a little out of alignment and I'm going to ask the physio could she check that out with the help of the treadmill there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Sounds like you've turned the corner. It's no surprise that you feel out of synch - it's hard not to tense up against anticipated pain when you do get back out again. Congrats on the masters.

Miracles happen. Just got the nod from the physio to do DCM.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I knew you would. Yay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Brilliant, delighted for you! Now, relax and enjoy it, you deserve it.

Fantastic Stuff! Get your skates on and get all your gear ready. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

Excellent news :D

So massively relieved right now you wouldn't believe it (and not just because I'm not having to post this on my phone :pac: ). Physio was delighted at how much the injury has improved over the last few days, and I only have to go back if I make it a lot worse during the marathon. I've to do lots of stretching between now and Monday, and I'm only allowed one short run - might add a swim there too. After DCM I have to really focus on core work over the winter if I want a good run in Barcelona.

I'm not done being broke yet though - I've also been told to replace my shoes pretty much as soon as DCM is over, I've almost worn through the outside of the right heel - which is crazy because I've only about 250 miles on my Adrenalines! :eek: Hopefully there'll be a bargain pair in my size at the expo...

Will try and follow the attached paceband as far as possible, though I seriously doubt my ability to make that time :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Good for you !! :)

Advertisement