Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Constant Motion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭brophya2007

Miracles happen. Just got the nod from the physio to do DCM.

Excellent news RK

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Good for you RK. Best of luck with it. I'll be cheering you all from the sidelines, so stay smiling! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Delighted for you!! Seeya Monday :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭yungwan

Brilliant news rainbow kirby.

Ive been watching your injury reports and was hoping you'd get a chance to do DCM after all your fretting.

Best of luck on Monday and enjoy the carb munching!

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭JEmily

Happy days, delighted for you, bring it on!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Great news, see you Monday!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Delighted for you rainbow kirby :D!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Fantastic news! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

+1 on all the above :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Great shtuff!

A miracle on 34th street, i mean fitzwilliam square.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

4 miles this evening - no watch. Hip behaved itself, not a peep out of it! :D

Monday? Bring it on, 4:20 run 10 minute miles all day :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Roll on Monday!

All the best with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

4 miles this evening - no watch. Hip behaved itself, not a peep out of it! :D

Monday? Bring it on, 4:20 run 10 minute miles all day :D
    Good stuff, best of luck now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Delighted the hip is behaving itself :) See you Monday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Delighted you're running RK. Best of luck. Hopefully I'll catch up with some of you in McGrattans for a wee while after.

Best of luck on Monday!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Good luck on Monday, dont forget to look around and enjoy it all!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Good luck on Monday RK, hope you get around without any pain and hope you enjoy it all!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

good luck rk and well done with masters!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Best of luck tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Best of luck RK, wish I was there at the start again with you this year

Bally8 wrote: »
    Best of luck RK, wish I was there at the start again with you this year

Next year you will be :D

Well?

How did it go RK?

I was thinking of you today!

Made an arse of timing things, thought for the whole afternoon I had a PB, then the chip time came through at 4:27 and crushed my spirits. Race report tomorrow.

Onwards and upwards though, Barcelona awaits.

You still did amazingly well considering all the injury worries you had over the last few weeks.

Alot of people wouldn't have had the determination to keep going and actually start the marathon, let alone finish it sub 4.30.

Be proud of yourself.

Congrats to everyone on your achievement today! Lovely day for it. Was at about mile 20 cheering, so hope I lightened some loads!? :D
    Congrats again!!

Right, time for a race report.

As ye all know, I only got the final nod from the physio to run DCM last Tuesday. For the month of October my longest run had been just 9 miles, and my longest runs overall were 2 18 milers. It really took me until the middle of last week to get my head around the "Holy crap, I'm running a marathon on Monday" factor, but once it hit the nerves started hopping! Went to the expo on Saturday, saw RQ, Xebec, Menoscemo, Ray and quite a few of the people from the novices thread. Put my feet up at home on Sunday and watched football. Thankfully Man U did not do what they did last year and lose the day before DCM :pac:

Barely slept Monday night, the sound of my alarm at 6am was not a particularly welcome one! The usual pre-race breakfast of porridge, bagel with jam and a cup of coffee was downed, and I got a taxi at 7. Got to the start area (with more coffee) at about 7.45, and ended up having a pic of me bundled up like an Eskimo taken by one of the wandering photographers. Put all my disposable stuff on, and headed to the green start (passing my workplace along the way, there are still gel wrappers outside it). I wanted to aim for ~4:15, but didn't want to go off too fast. First mile went by in 9.40, which was pretty much right on target, then hit MASSIVE LOGJAM at the bottom of Dawson Street - this slowed my 2nd mile to about 11 minutes and really knocked me off my stride. Didn't really feel like I got into my running at all until about 6 miles, and by 13 miles I had (somehow) pulled myself back to within 20 seconds of 4:15 pace. Was still feeling pretty good at that stage, went through half in just under 2:08 by my watch (~4 minutes faster than '09).

Was still on 4:15 pace at about mile 17, but couldn't really fight the need to take a leak at that stage. First pitstop then, just accepted that I was going to lose 2-3 minutes. Passed 18 and the thought *did* cross my mind that the last time I'd gone past that distances was 364 days previously. 19-21 was miserable, I hate the Clonskeagh section. Not much crowd support (compared to other places) on the stretch up from O'Sheas pub to the Spar in Clonskeagh, it's all uphill, and it really does seem like almost everyone is walking. Hit 20 and the stomach decided it wasn't happy. Took my last gel at the water station just before the N11 and my stomach really didn't like that. Ended up having to take a 2nd pitstop at the portaloos at the bottom of Nutley Lane, and accidentally stopped my watch here. No idea just how much time I lost, felt like maybe about 3 minutes, but on countback it was more than that. I couldn't even face drinking my water at this stage, but just kept on trucking. Got a bit of a second wind at mile 25 for some reason and finished relatively strongly. Had a bit of a twinge out of my hip just after the 25 mile marker, but said to myself "Feck it, quickest way to make it stop hurting is to finish".

Chip time 4:27:00. In proof of how badly I fecked up my own timing, my time on my watch was 4:13:30, was fully expecting my chip time to be ~4:17ish, but maybe that was just marathon tapioca-brain. :rolleyes: Having had a day to mull over it, I'm not gonna lie. I can't help but be a little disappointed not to have gone faster than last year.

The marathon's an honest race though, you get out of it what you put in, and I just didn't/couldn't put enough into it this year. I didn't run enough miles in training, I didn't do enough good long runs (2x18, 16, 14, 13.1) and my peak mileage in the 18 weeks before DCM was only 38mpw. To be blunt about it, I got what I deserved.

The morning after? Surprisingly enough, not as painful as last year. I even managed to negotiate the stairs on the 49 coming home from work this evening without any problems (some bastards were clogging up *all* the seats downstairs :mad: ). I drank gallons of coffee in work to stay awake today though - just wanted to sleep all day.

Also just gonna leave this here. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Hi RK, great job on DM and with all the problems you've had to overcome, delighted to hear your going to Barca, see you there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

Well done on your marathon. Thanks also for all the good advice and positive vibes over the last 6 months.

Good luck in Barcelona.

Advertisement