Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Constant Motion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Well done you, what a fantastic time for somebody with such a recent injury. Thanks for all the encouragement and sound advice you dished out over the last few month - it was invaluable! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

And back on the road today. 3 miles sloooooow. Calves and hamstrings felt a bit tight, but thankfully no complaints out of the hip. Had a good stretch afterwards and spent some quality time with the foam roller. :eek: Good to be back though, and it's a lovely day for it - cool and sunny with a light breeze.

My shoes are ****ed after Monday though. Cushioning feels like it's gone in the forefoot, which seems weird. The need to replace my Adrenalines just got very urgent. I'll probably wear my Lunarglides for the next few days, I'm not doing much in the way of distance so it's not a big deal. I'm actually not sure if I'll replace my Adrenalines with another pair of the same - 280 miles total on them is really not acceptable in terms of lifespan. This may have been affected by my injury subtly altering my gait though.

Time for a bit of navel-gazing. About a year ago when I started this log I set certain goals.
    Sub-25 for 5k at the Jingle Bells 5k in a couple of weeks from now

Any PB for 5 mile at Raheny, and sub-40 in the summer over 5 miles.

Sub-50 for 10k at some stage next year (this is going to be tough)

1:25 10 mile

1:50 HM

The biggie: I want to go sub-4 in Dublin next year. This is probably going to be the hardest of the lot, because McMillan currently predicts 4:11.

Um. I've gone sub-25 for 5k, and done 5 miles in a hair over 40 minutes. That's about it, I haven't come in any way close to the rest of my goals, particularly the marathon goal which is the one I really, really wanted. Closest I've come to the others is getting within 2.30 of the 10 mile goal as a 10 mile split in a half-marathon, and seeing my chip time for DCM was probably the closest I've come to feeling like I'd been kicked in the gut since my martial arts days.

This year has sucked (running-wise) to an absolutely unprecedented degree. Between the big freeze, missing a month after fainting while running, working on my masters and getting injured 4 weeks before DCM I've managed to run less than 800 miles this year. I was hoping to have the 1000 wrapped up by now, but I almost certainly won't hit it for the year. I'll have another crack at a good half-marathon in Waterford, but that's about it really for 2010. It's been a frustrating year.

That's enough of looking back though, because it's only going to depress me. Time to look forward. Today is 18 weeks to Barcelona - getting straight back in the saddle! 4 hours is the goal, probably a bit ambitious but it's the goal for now. Will do Dublin too next year. Haven't made any firm decisions on other races - I may squeeze in 2-3 halfs along the way too, and the sub-50 10k *must* happen next year. In terms of training, I really need to run more miles in general, do more core work and stretching, and to stop being so one-paced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

There must be PMA in the water today!! Well done on the marathon and best of luck going forward :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

I've been following your progress throughout the year in awe RK. You have been unlucky but you're determination to constantly keep going inspite of the setbacks is really inspiring. When I read your posts they truly represent what I feel is the mentality of a proper athlete. Plus your advice and encouragement to others is completely selfless and invaluable to all us newbies. So thanks! You don't give yourself enough credit!!

.....but I hope your journey to all your goals next year is a little easier! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Time to look forward. .

this ^ but you know what.... to run 4.20 whatever on the back on a difficult year with illness, injury and low mileage in the weeks leading up to the marathon show that you have a lot more in you so you really shouldn't look on it as a negative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Hi RK, I've nothing to say but wanted to get your thread off 666 replies and onto 667....:eek:

Doh, littlebug has already done it....

4 miles this evening (8.59/mile average pace). Had to blast some cobwebs out of the legs - first mile into a headwind, middle two miles were at about 8.40 pace and last mile was both uphill and back into a headwind. Was trying out the new shoes I bought on Sunday too - decided not to go for another pair of Adrenalines because I didn't even get 300 miles out of them. Bought a pair of Mizuno Wave Inspire 6, we'll see how I get on with these. They feel pretty good anyway, plus the colour is pretty sweet (there's some pretty strong hints of the Dublin colours :pac: ).

Gonna go stretch and do some core work in a bit, also more quality time with the foam roller. Fun times. :pac:

Also, the diet started today. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Excellent, well done and good to see you're back. Enjoy the quality time on the foam roller :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭yungwan

Well done - straight into it. Fair play to you. You are some motivator! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭JEmily

Also, the diet started today. :eek:

Snap;)

Haven't done anything in the way of a decent run yet, hopefully Thursday/Friday, actually can't wait to get out and do couple of miles

4 miles this evening (9.40/mile average pace). Have wussed out of running the last two days because the weather sucks so much, but forced myself out this evening after convincing myself that running in the rain was more fun than watching Liverpool. :pac: Lovely headwind rolling straight off the mountains into my face as soon as I got out too. Was scared of destroying my iPod (Shuffle, after my 1st gen iPod Touch got destroyed about a month ago because of a leaky handbag and a long wait for a 75) in the rain too, so this run was done with only my internal monologue for company. I'm getting better at this whole running without music thing, still prefer to have my sounds though for training runs.

Hoping to squeeze in another short run and an 8-9 mile LSR over the next few days. We'll see.

LSR today, really had to go today because of the storm forecast for tomorrow. 9 miles @ 9.29/mile average pace. Very happy to get that done, but it was starting to feel a bit tough towards the end. This was probably down to still having a bit of post-marathon fatigue going on, and not drinking enough water this morning. Will probably squeeze in a short one tomorrow morning just to make it to 20 miles for the week. :pac:

Will probably squeeze in a short one tomorrow morning just to make it to 20 miles for the week. :pac:
    Done. 4 miles (9.00/mile average pace) makes it 21 miles for the week. First time since late September that I've ran on consecutive days, and first week since then where I've gotten 4 runs in. :D

Still haven't decided on a training plan for Barcelona, and it's 17 weeks from today... :eek:

Well done and a nice pace yesterday too!

Another 4 miler tonight, it was all I really had time for after getting delayed on the way out of work - causing me to miss a 49 and wait half an hour for another one. :mad: 9.34/mile average pace so I took it fairly handy, and gave my Wave Inspires a baptism of muck along the way (there's a hell of a lot of it on the paths near the M50 bridge near Woodstown!). No music again tonight after realising the battery was dead on my iPod just as I was heading out the door, but meh. I think my run may actually have been better without it because I'm feeling incredibly relaxed now. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

How are the wave inspire 6's RK? The 5 is my fav shoe at the moment but i thought the 6 would be a bit light for training in. The perfect half marathon shoe i would think.

I like them so far. Probably need a bit longer to make a proper judgement on them (I've only 21 miles on them so far) but they've felt good so far to me. Usually if a shoe isn't supportive enough for me it makes that known after about an hour, and I managed 9 miles in them just fine at the weekend so I was happy with that. It's a very different feel to the Adrenaline (which I wore over the summer and for DCM) anyway, and I think I prefer it. I'll be wearing them for Waterford anyway, and hopefully they'll carry me to a 1:54:xx time :pac:

Incidentally, I thought they were rubbing my ankle slightly on Saturday after about 4 miles, but it turns out it was the zip on the tights I was wearing!

Wanted to get out for a run straight after I got home, particularly after seeing the weather forecast, so ended up grabbing Subway on the way home. Was rather nice, but I really didn't need the extra calories when I'm trying to lose some weight! :eek:

6 miles this evening (9.37/mile average pace), just taking it easy and getting the miles in. Pretty decent run, apart from the idiot that saw the green pedestrian light at the bottom of the Knocklyon Road as an excuse to put the foot down. It's a good thing I've gotten into the habit of waiting a couple of seconds after the lights change before crossing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Wanted to get out for a run straight after I got home, particularly after seeing the weather forecast, so ended up grabbing Subway on the way home. Was rather nice, but I really didn't need the extra calories when I'm trying to lose some weight! :eek:

6 miles this evening (9.37/mile average pace), just taking it easy and getting the miles in. Pretty decent run, apart from the idiot that saw the green pedestrian light at the bottom of the Knocklyon Road as an excuse to put the foot down. It's a good thing I've gotten into the habit of waiting a couple of seconds after the lights change before crossing...

Do you generally have to eat before running? I can't run at all after eating, so will generally have lunch at 2pm and go for a run between 6-8pm and just have dinner after.

• Advertisement

menoscemo wrote: »
    Do you generally have to eat before running?
    Lunch was 12.30 and I wanted to run at 7.30 - had to get something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Lunch was 12.30 and I wanted to run at 7.30 - had to get something.

Have you not heard the newsflash? Running on empty is what the cool kids are doing :cool:

Have you not heard the newsflash? Running on empty is what the cool kids are doing :cool:

Wish I could get away with that, but I just can't. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

I'm with you on that one RK! I'd collapse (no joke) if I went running "on empty".

I generally have a box of raisins or a banana to keep me going if I have to do a late-ish run and have dinner after I come home. That's usually enough to just keep me ticking over.

Met up with Menoscemo, Aimman and Brianderunner this morning, 10.5 miles @ 9.54/mile average pace. Clearly I was slowing them down to a ridiculous degree :pac: Enjoyable run though - lovely morning for it, despite the cold.

Sounds like a nice run there yesterday morning. Good work!

I did my 11 miles on an empty stomach yesterday morning because I wanted to go straight out when I got up... I'm not sure if that was bold but it suits me. I'd have to wait at least an hour and a half if anything passed my lips pre-run.

5 miles this afternoon, 9.18/mile average pace. Nowt much more to report on that, more miles in the bag. 25.5 miles for this week and I'm relatively satisfied with that. Hopefully a bit more next week. :)

Just noticed that I FINALLY went past 800 miles for the year yesterday. No chance of making the 1000 miles now :(

well done, great running at the weekend. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Just noticed that I FINALLY went past 800 miles for the year yesterday. No chance of making the 1000 miles now :(

29 miles a week for 7 weeks, why not?

Advertisement