Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Constant Motion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

29 miles a week for 7 weeks, why not?

That sounds like a challenge :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

That sounds like a challenge :pac:

It's more or less what you should be doing on a marathon training programme anyway. Now come on!!! :pac:

Fine. :p (and yes, I do realise that it is what I should be doing!)

(This is probably going to end up with me frantically squeezing in a 60 mile week over Christmas to make up the mileage :pac: )

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭earnyourturns

Attagirl

After missing my run yesterday due to Dublin Bus screwing me over (memo to any Dublin Bus employees: it really is nice when the 49 actually turns up, and even better when it's on time), I really had to get out tonight. 6 miles, 9.03/mile average pace. First 4 miles were relatively easy, then it started bucketing rain. 2 8.40ish miles ensued :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

8.40 is FAST!

Where do you work/live RK? Would it be possible for you to cycle to work and back? When I lived in Dublin my life improved infinitely when I started cycling to work and back and didn't have to deal with the incompetency of Dublin Bus...Great pace over 6 miles btw!

Living in Firhouse at the moment, but planning to move out after Christmas. Undecided as to exactly where I'm going to move to.

It would be possible for me to cycle to work - if I had a bike! :pac: I really should take advantage of the cycle to work scheme.

Do it! Also, what with me now living 20,000km away, you'd be more than welcome to my old bike which is otherwise just languishing in my parents' shed. It's a Kona Shred, so not exactly light and speedy but built like a tank and you get 12 year old boys shouting things like "nice bike" after you.

NB: this offer is contingent upon my parents refusing - as I suspect they will - to bring aforementioned bike to Canada in January where we're meeting up...

• Advertisement

Your ideas interest me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Living in Firhouse at the moment, but planning to move out after Christmas. .

Jebas...I hope that's nothing to do with me being seen on the Firhouse Road in my running tights......:eek:

Another 6 miles tonight, bit slower than last night at a 9.20/mile average pace. Much better weather tonight, less wind and rain! Enjoyed that anyway,

Trying to decide how far to run for my long run this weekend, whether to go for 10-ish again, or stretch it out closer to half-marathon distance...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Another 6 miles tonight, bit slower than last night at a 9.20/mile average pace. Much better weather tonight, less wind and rain! Enjoyed that anyway,

Trying to decide how far to run for my long run this weekend, whether to go for 10-ish again, or stretch it out closer to half-marathon distance...

I had the same question, the longest I've done since DCM is my 6.6m last night. I'll probably do 10 and then maybe the 13 the following weekend.
    I'll probably go earlyish tomorrow morning, if you want to meet up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Yeah, I dont think a 3 week taper is needed for a half marathon, especially if you have a marathon distance done 7 weeks before the race. You could probably even throw in another 9-10M around 1st December and then ease off on the miles.

Might not even be critical to get up to 13M before race day either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Hi RK I was thinking the same a couple of weeks ago and decided to do a 12 and follow it with a 15 last Sunday, now I'm just going to concentrate on quality without having to worry about the distance, so if I was you I'd stretch it to 12/13 but only if you feel comfortable in doing so. A good confidence boost (not that you need one after DM)
    As regards taper I'll probably just have it easy from the Wed-to race day

Aimman wrote: »
    Yeah, I dont think a 3 week taper is needed for a half marathon, especially if you have a marathon distance done 7 weeks before the race. You could probably even throw in another 9-10M around 1st December and then ease off on the miles.

Might not even be critical to get up to 13M before race day either.

Wasn't really talking about a taper, tbh! Think I'll aim for 2 hours on my feet, for me that's probably around 12 and a bit miles at LSR pace. I'd like to get up to 14-15 before Waterford and I did 10.5 last week, so probably around 12 would be ideal. If I can get 6 in on the other day of the weekend then that's 30 for the week and I'd be chuffed with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Good going RK, you'll make 1000 before the years is out yet!!

Woke up this morning afternoon feeling totally meh, like a serious duvet day was coming on. Knew I shouldn't be lazy though, but spent most of the afternoon playing mental games about going for a run. Finally convinced myself that 6 miles would be a good idea, and off I went. Took it relatively easy (9.35/mile average pace) and I'm glad I got out anyway. Almost didn't get back into the house because I forgot my key, and my dad was too wrapped up in watching the Liverpool match to hear the doorbell! (
    Just as I rang the doorbell, Glen Johnston scored
    )

Will get out for said long run tomorrow, after another good night's sleep tonight. The sleep thread has actually given me a lot of food for thought - I really need to start sleeping more than 5-6 hours a night during the week, it's not healthy and it leaves too much to catch up on at the weekend.

12 miles today in 1:54ish (~9.30/mile average pace), with a little break in the middle to talk to menoscemo and Woddle who were out at the XC in Tymon Park, and both looking very relieved at not having to run it! :pac:

Nice to get the 30 mile week in the bag too, going to aim for the same again next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Nice 12 miler and can you ring that door bell more often please ;)

Well done, great running at the weekend. I'm feeling really lazy now :o

Track session with Brianderunner, Aimman and menoscemo tonight, 10x400m intervals. Splits between 1:41 and 1:49 for the intervals, 5 miles total distance covered when warmup and cooldown are included. Enjoyable session, even if I wasn't saying that at the time! :pac:

I also entered Conn half today. :)

Realised why my last few reps were dropping off the pace a bit last night. A cold has arrived with a bang this morning. :mad:

On the other hand, my shiny Rush ticket will cheer me up. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Thats a pity about the cold, sweat it out of you over the next few days. There's going to be a very cold snap coming and it wouldnt help your cold if you were out running in it, no matter how well you wrap up.

Didn't run last night, was feeling quite miserable with my cold so I got into my pyjamas and watched Rangers v Man U. I'd planned on doing a relatively short easy run last night and a longer one tonight, but the cold (my one, not the weather) kinda killed that. Finally shoved myself out the door this evening at about 9.30 for a very easy 5 miler. Didn't bother with the watch, no point when I've taken enough decongestant to fail any drugs test - just kept things steady and the breathing easy, average pace was probably about 10 min/mile. Was quite happy with the run in the end, good for the head more than anything else.

Nipped into Arnotts today after work to check out the 20% off sale, there's quite a lot of running gear on it. Tried on a pair of Under Armour winter running tights and they have got to be the most ill-fitting thing I have ever tried on. Somehow they managed to be too long, too loose on the waist but not anywhere else (and no drawstring either to rectify this), and have a thick seam in exactly the right place for serious cameltoe no matter what way I adjusted them. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

...the most ill-fitting thing I have ever tried on. Somehow they managed to be too long, too loose on the waist but not anywhere else (and no drawstring either to rectify this), and have a thick seam in exactly the right place for serious cameltoe no matter what way I adjusted them. :eek:

Sound delightful! I have some lovely images in my head now! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭yungwan

.....and have a thick seam in exactly the right place for serious cameltoe no matter what way I adjusted them. :eek:

Haha I laughed out loud at this part!! So funny!
    Well done on getting out and running with your cold.
    Id be hibernating and feeling sorry for myself. Look after it over the weekend though.

Tried on a pair of Under Armour winter running tights and they have got to be the most ill-fitting thing I have ever tried on. Somehow they managed to be too long, too loose on the waist but not anywhere else (and no drawstring either to rectify this), and have a thick seam in exactly the right place for serious cameltoe no matter what way I adjusted them. :eek:

:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

and have a thick seam in exactly the right place for serious cameltoe no matter what way I adjusted them. :eek:
    I had to google that. OMG. Shocked.:D

Advertisement