Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Constant Motion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Fúcking weather, I hate ice and snow - not only does it make running awkward, but a water main burst in my area overnight and we've had no water all day. :eek::mad:

Ended up heading to a gym today to get in a run on the treadmill - bloody torture device. Did 5 miles on the treadmill and then lifted a bit and stretching - think I've proven that the cold isn't completely gone yet because I was finding it very tough to push the pace on the treadmill.

Trying to decide what to do about a decent run tomorrow... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭yungwan

Trying to decide what to do about a decent run tomorrow... :rolleyes:

I hear ya... Ive a 12 miler planned and I have no idea where to go or whether it will possible.

Ill go as planned and just hope I dont fall and creal myself!

Another fall of snow last night made for slightly safer outdoor running conditions, so out I went. 6 very slow miles today, through the Dodder and Tymon parks. Dressed as normal for winter conditions, only replacing my normal socks with ski socks and putting my Adrenalines back on because I didn't feel like freezing my Wave Inspires. :pac: Tbh, when you're just getting over a cold and you're running on snow, 6 miles feels more like 8-10, so I'm quite happy with the effort this morning. Sitting down to watch rugby now :D

Took a few pictures along the way too... here. Quality is a bit crap because they were taken on a cheap phone.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Good work, running in snow is hell! I didnt even bother, you make me feel lazy now.

So no running since the weekend, as my area has had absolutely tonnes of snow (15-20 inches in places) and I'm terrified of getting injured (felt a bit of a niggle out of the hip I injured before DCM after my snow run on Sunday too). Seriously, I've lived in South Dublin my whole life and I have NEVER seen this much snow here.

I *have* to join a gym close to work soon. I have to get over my treadmill issues, or Barcelona isn't going to happen. It's going to take a hell of a long time for this much snow to melt :(

• Advertisement

Bleh. Treadmill. Bleh. BLEH. 4 miles and I hated every minute. Just make the snow be gone NOW please. :mad:

Did 15 mins bike too, and some weights. Stepped out of the gym, and realised that with the snow gone it would be such a perfect night for a run... (-1C and still). :mad::(

Swimming doesn't drive me mad like the treadmill does, maybe I should focus on that...

On the other hand, graduation tomorrow. Kirby in a dress and heels in the snow... should have thought this through before now! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Enjoy the Graduation tomorrow. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I didn't realise that you just live down the road from me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Hope you're enjoying your graduation and the fact that the Waterford decision has finally been made! I now challenge everyone to still get off their asses for 13 miles on Saturday morning!!

claralara wrote: »
    I now challenge everyone to still get off their asses for 13 miles on Saturday morning!!
    I would if I could find somewhere safe to do it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Hope you're enjoying your graduation and the fact that the Waterford decision has finally been made! I now challenge everyone to still get off their asses for 13 miles on Saturday morning!!

I'd say that things should have cleared up sufficiently so as to have some decent routes in phoenix park on saturday.
    Maybe we should have a group training session. I really need to get going. I have an ultra to do in 4 months :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭maria74

I think with the thaw expected and the big chill to return next Thurs/Fri (??) the parks and paths will be full on Saturday am, all the frustrated runners afraid to wait til Sunday for a long run, incase all goes white again!:D

maria74 wrote: »
    I think with the thaw expected and the big chill to return next Thurs/Fri (??) the parks and paths will be full on Saturday am, all the frustrated runners afraid to wait til Sunday for a long run, incase all goes white again!:D

So very true...

menoscemo wrote: »
    I'd say that things should have cleared up sufficiently so as to have some decent routes in phoenix park on saturday.
    Maybe we should have a group training session. I really need to get going. I have an ultra to do in 4 months :eek:

Yikes! I have 26% of that Ultra to do in 4 months and it's already haunting me! I'm not part of BAC (yet!) or your running group but a group session would probably realistically be the only thing to get me out...maybe I could just sneak around behind yee :cool: (and most likely lose you after 600metres..!)

(and most likely lose you after 600metres..!)
    You do realise how slow I am, right?

You do realise how slow I am, right?

Haha! Well I'm certainly no hare! You seem to keep up with the lads on your group runs pretty well so I don't believe you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Yikes! I have 26% of that Ultra to do in 4 months and it's already haunting me! I'm not part of BAC (yet!) or your running group but a group session would probably realistically be the only thing to get me out...maybe I could just sneak around behind yee :cool: (and most likely lose you after 600metres..!)

You don't have to be part of BAC to do any group runs. we were doing loads of them during the marathon training programme and maybe 1 in 10 people were in Boards AC....as for speed, don't worry, if you can magage 10 mins/mile you won't be going too slow. I see RK has put up a post int he group training thread. I am sure if we meet at the papal cross as usual then we will be able to work out a route through ice free parts of the park.

Gym again tonight, after ice-skating down from the bus stop to get to it. 5 miles on the dreadmill, turned around when I got off it to notice that some ginger guy on the elliptical behind me had been checking me out for about half the time I was running. :eek: Did 10 minutes on the bike too. I'm absolutely itching to get back outside, whoever invented the treadmill really did devise a fine torture device.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Aye, they are horrible. But a lifesaver when you cant get out. :)

menoscemo wrote: »
    You don't have to be part of BAC to do any group runs. we were doing loads of them during the marathon training programme and maybe 1 in 10 people were in Boards AC....as for speed, don't worry, if you can magage 10 mins/mile you won't be going too slow. I see RK has put up a post int he group training thread. I am sure if we meet at the papal cross as usual then we will be able to work out a route through ice free parts of the park.

Ok well I think I could manage a bit of a distance at that speed...
    Sure I’ll sneak in if it’s going ahead so. The paths around me are lethal and I don’t know the Park at all…God knows where I’d end up!!

• Advertisement

14 miles @ 9.50/mile average pace in the Phoenix Park today with Menoscemo, claralara and DigiJem, complete with cross-country sections :pac: Was delighted to get out, a very enjoyable run with good company.

Little birdy tells me it was claralara's first ever 14 miler too, so well done to her :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Were you cold? You looked like you were expecting it to be cold? :pac:

I always tend to slightly overdress! The gloves had already disappeared into my jacket pockets after ~2-3 miles.

Little birdy tells me it was claralara's first ever 14 miler too, so well done to her :)

Yeeeaaah! Conn Ultra here I come...:rolleyes: haha!

Conn Ultra here I come...:rolleyes: haha!
    Never say never ;):pac:

6 miles today, with a lot of grass and snow running as part of that! Headed down to Tymon Park, but thanks to the fact that there is still a lot of ice on the footpaths along the Firhouse Road, quite a bit of that was in the bike track or the bus lane. There was also still a lot of ice on the paths in the park, so I ran through grass and softer snow for some of the way around. Wore a pair of relatively clean white, blue and grey Lunarglides today (my Wave Inspires are still drying out and are stuffed with newspaper), let's just say they're not so clean now! More muck in 6 miles today than in the previous 90-100 miles I'd put on them during the summer... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭yungwan

Great running this weekend RK.

I done bloody nothing. Busy Christmas duties took over. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Damm should have gone out with you on Sat as it sounded like a good run. Must keep an eye on the Boards meet-up thread. Nice running RK

Next time definitely come along! Do keep an eye on the thread, there should be something most weekends, and interval sessions during the week too. Intervals at UCD tomorrow at 6.15 if you're interested.

• Advertisement

Intervals this evening with claralara and menopause, warmup, 10x400m intervals (mostly around 1:42-1:43/lap), ~1 mile cooldown. Totalled off at 5 miles. Enjoyed that, love running on cool winter nights. :D

Advertisement