Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Constant Motion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Next time definitely come along! Do keep an eye on the thread, there should be something most weekends, and interval sessions during the week too. Intervals at UCD tomorrow at 6.15 if you're interested.

Cheers RK - work in NCD so will never make it across in time for those sessions - they do sound interesting :eek:. Will keep an eye for LSR's.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

10.38 miles @ 9.39/mile average pace this morning - group run in the Phoenix Park with digger2d2, mrslow et al. Light dusting of snow made it interesting, glad to get another decent run in the bag after getting very little done this week due to trying to finish my Christmas shopping :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

10.38 miles @ 9.39/mile average pace this morning - group run in the Phoenix Park with digger2d2, mrslow et al. Light dusting of snow made it interesting, glad to get another decent run in the bag after getting very little done this week due to trying to finish my Christmas shopping :pac:

Sorry I couldn't go to make up the 16 with ya. Hopefully that run will help you get over your fear of running on snow though. It is not that bad is it?

Still very afraid of going on my hole, but there (thankfully) wasn't very much snow there today. No worries about the 16, just to get the miles in I might try and get out for another 10 tomorrow weather permitting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

It was really gorgeous in the park whilst the sun was out....A few icy patches here and there but easily avoided. Great to see so many runners braving the conditions too!

• Advertisement

Well I braved the conditions again today. Kinda wanted to do 10 again, ended up only having the time to do 8.5 as I slept late and had already made plans to visit relatives this afternoon. 9.33/mile average pace. Tymon was beautiful with an icing-sugar dusting of snow. :)

Well I braved the conditions again today. Kinda wanted to do 10 again, ended up only having the time to do 8.5 as I slept late and had already made plans to visit relatives this afternoon. 9.33/mile average pace. Tymon was beautiful with an icing-sugar dusting of snow. :)

Good for you.....I'm leaving the OH's car in for a service in Bohernabreena in the morning and running home via Glenasmole and then through the back of the Waterworks...Should be about 8 ish miles and although I expect it be cold the scenery should make up for that.....

Sounds like a lovely run! Have fun :)

Sounds like a lovely run! Have fun :)

It was fantastic....Car temperature reading was minus 6 when I left it off and the tips of my fingers were numb inside my gloves for the first 2/3 miles but it was amazing....Ended up being 8.2 miles at 9:31 pace which I was very happy with considering the climb in the first 3 miles....Also got my hands on a pair of LunarGlide 2 in JJB for €50 this afternoon so a good day all round!:D

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Also got my hands on a pair of LunarGlide 2 in JJB for €50 this afternoon so a good day all round!:D

tell me more

• Advertisement

menoscemo wrote: »
    tell me more

Half price on a load of runners in JJB......LunarGlides, LunarSwifts etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

And not to brag or anything ..

I got The glides2 for even cheaper in JJB since i freelance teach classes in their gym :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭showit

...Also got my hands on a pair of LunarGlide 2 in JJB for €50 this afternoon so a good day all round!:D

Hi There

Its my first post here on boards - i been trying to get a pair of these for a while €50 seems good price - i wonder did you get them in jjb in dublin ?

thx

Half price on a load of runners in JJB......LunarGlides, LunarSwifts etc.

Where is the nearest JJB? Is there one in the square? I thought I got a bargain getting the Lunarglide 1's for €50 :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

menoscemo wrote: »
    Where is the nearest JJB? Is there one in the square? I thought I got a bargain getting the Lunarglide 1's for €50 :rolleyes:

Liffey valley

Yep, there's one in the Square...I needed size 8 and had to get the display pair so not sure how many others they might have in other sizes but LunarSwifts were €40.50 I think and they seemed to have more of them....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭showit

Yep, there's one in the Square...I needed size 8 and had to get the display pair so not sure how many others they might have in other sizes but LunarSwifts were €40.50 I think and they seemed to have more of them....

Thanks

Got out for 3 miles in a hell of a lot of snow this afternoon. Took a few pics along the way too - stunningly beautiful day, but cold as hell (-6 at 2pm). Got some cross-training in too today, shovelling all the snow off the driveway, and helping my dad to carry slabs of beer up from the local supermarket. :pac:

5 miles on packed snow this afternoon, stunningly beautiful day out with clear skies and a low winter sun. Had to stop twice to help people push cars up hills, and got a few comments because I was wearing a silly jester hat that I got for a ski trip about 10 years ago. My Lunarglides are now a lot cleaner than they were this morning too. If we want to go by the temperature at the nearest Met Eireann station, that was my coldest run ever - it was -9 at Casement at 1pm.

Chocolate time now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Well done for keeping it up through all that crazy weather. I bet you felt great after that run on Christmas day :)

• Advertisement

I did! Even better to get back out for a run today, on nicely thawed road! :D

8.5 miles today (9.16/mile average pace), felt tough early on but relaxed into it more as the run went on. Glad to get it done though, because I'm going to undo all my good work tonight :pac:

Good long one today :D

20 miles (9.40/mile average pace) with menoscemo and Brianderunner for the whole distance, and with several others for the first 10 miles. That was a tough one, but really glad to get it done - it's already longer than my longest training run for Dublin.

If anyone needs me, I'll be murdering the tin of Roses :pac::D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Well done, and well ahead of Barcelona too. Are you planning a few more 20 milers in training?

Hopefully 2-4 more 20+. I'm hoping to do a 22 miler as my longest run before Barcelona.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

Nice one on the 20miler. Can't even imagine going that distance at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭earnyourturns

20 miler good Jaysus! Fair play to you :)

Think I've undone all the good work with the amount of chocolate I've eaten since I got home today...

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭earnyourturns

Heehee at least it was well earned. As they say around here, good on ya! Following on from sending chocolate to Racheljev, I'm thinking about going into the import-export business on the side so if you need any NZ chocolate for the weeks and months ahead just let me know :D

Think I've undone all the good work with the amount of chocolate I've eaten since I got home today...

Last I heard, the Marketing Manager at Cadbury was considering you a worthy recipient of sponsorship for Barcelona.....;)

• Advertisement

So... the year that was 2010. Quite frankly, it was a terrible running year.

It started badly with the snow and ice in January, it took me a few weeks to get some decent mileage in. I did get a nice new PB over 5 miles at the Raheny 5, narrowly missing my target when I finished in 40:13. This was probably the last of my residual fitness from DCM '09 though.

Disaster happened on 1 March though, I fainted while running (1.5 miles into a short recovery run, of all things) and was sent to Vincent's by the UCD doctor for tests (they wanted to rule out the chances of a heart problem). I wasn't allowed to run while waiting for the results, and this resulted in 4 weeks where I wasn't allowed to do any exercise at all. This was one of the busier times of year in terms of college workload too and not having a proper outlet for my stress for 4 weeks really hurt.

2 weeks after I came back (far too early, tbh) I decided to have a crack at the Great Ireland Run. I went off too quickly, and ran a pretty horrific positive split. Still got a PB though, finishing in just outside 53 minutes. On this day, the now-established tradition of going to Ryans after races began, with the consumption of large quantities of Erdinger. :pac:

Thinking that my 10k PB was relatively soft, and being too broke to really justify heading to Cork for the relay session, I did the Women's Mini-Marathon, in possibly the worst conditions I've ever raced in. I went off too quickly (again), and finished in 52.22. I was probably relatively close to 50 minute shape, but paced myself badly. Meh. One race I probably won't bother with in 2011, the expo nearly made my head explode from the pink, plus I'd like to try and get a team together for Cork.

I was deep in thesis country at this stage, and the race series races came along way too quickly. Raced badly at the 5 4.9 mile, finished in a craptacular 42 minutes. The 10 mile race was on a very warm Saturday, two days before my thesis was to be submitted. I knew it wouldn't go well when I woke up feeling like I'd been hit by a bus, I really knew it wouldn't go well when I was struggling to hold 9 min/mile pace with menoscemo, OI and racheljev. I was slowing the entire time, and actually ran a slower time than I did in 2009. Even the purple shirt didn't make it worthwhile. The half was probably one of my best races of 2010, even if I did die off a little in the last mile and a half. Felt solid at about 8.45/mile pace for about the first 11 miles, which I was happy with. Finished in 1:56:25, but I think on a flatter and less crowded course that there was definitely a 1:55 there.

To DCM then. Was feeling my hip a little after an 18 mile training run in late September. A day later I couldn't sleep on my right side. Headed to the physio in a panic, thinking that was me out of DCM. Several hundred euro, lots of dry needling (:eek:)and not very much running later, I toed the startline on the October bank holiday Monday. :pac: Managed to not only cock up the later sections of the race, but also my own watch timing. Finished in 4:27, which I was bitterly disappointed with - that said, two weeks before the race I would have been delighted just to make the start line.

Recovered quickly after DCM and had built mileage nicely by the end of November, was back up to 30 mile weeks and a 12 mile LSR. All was well. Then the weather gods decided to be arseholes again and December was disgusting weather-wise. I did get in a couple of nice LSRs along the way - a 14 miler in the middle of the month and a 20 miler yesterday, but most of my shorter runs were treadmill or on snow. No racing this month - tbh I'm not hugely bothered about it at the moment.

Total for the year: 945.2 miles - disappointed with this, as I had originally been targeting 1,200 miles for the year. Totally underestimated the power of fate to screw me over though - and between injury, illness, thesis and weather I probably missed a total of about 2 months this year.

Looking onwards towards 2011 - the immediate goal is Barcelona. I'm about 90-95% sure I'm going to do the full in Connemara too, and pretty sure I'm going to do Dublin too. In terms of shorter stuff, I'd like to get a team together for the Cork relays. I'll probably do the race series again too, and I'd like to do another half or two as well.

2011 time goals:
    5k: (1) actually do another one, (2) 23 minutes
    5 mile: Sub-40 (agonisingly close in 2010...)
    10k: Sub-50
    10 mile: Sub-85
    HM: (1) Sub-1:55 early in 2011, (2) get close to 1:50 by the end of the year
    Marathon: (1) sub-4 hours either in Barcelona or Dublin, (2) enjoy Conn!

Advertisement