Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Constant Motion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Good running. Any decision on Sunday?
    No absolute decisions made yet. I don't really have the choice to do my LSR during the week and race it properly because it's a bit awkward doing a 15-17 mile LSR starting at 8-8.30pm at this time of year. I'm still kicking around the idea of doing it as a fast finish long run - do 10-12 miles before the race and try dip under 45 for the race then. Priority has to be marathon training though, much as I do have a particular liking for this race.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

A 12 week plan for me for Antwerp would have me down as 13 with 8 at marathon pace(whats marathon pace for me? :pac: ) so I could do that with 5 miles raced and 8 miles afterwards. Would like to go further than 13 though which is whats putting me off doing Raheny. Missed it last year 'cos of Barcelona training...I'm obviously not running Barca so it really shouldn't be an issue this year. :pac:

Sports massage tonight. Felt good and evil in roughly equal measures. Needed that though, right hip has been very tight since the weekend and all the stretching I was doing wasn't doing an awful lot to loosen it. After the pre-DCM'10 debacle though, anything got to do with my hip worries me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

right hip has been very tight since the weekend and all the stretching I was doing wasn't doing an awful lot to loosen it.

Snap. There must have been something catching on saturday. I wonder who pased it on to us? :pac:

menoscemo wrote: »
    I wonder who pased it on to us? :pac:
    I blame mrslow :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I blame mrslow :pac:

Thought it must have been him. Grrrrr.

Time to give him the frowning of a lifetime.

*FROWN*

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

You too missy. Take it easy...an easy week is no harm at this stage anyway.

6 miles this evening, kept it easy (9.45/mile) because I felt bloody tired the whole time. Haven't slept well the last few nights. Bleh. Gonna get a decent lie-in on Saturday morning and then have my LSR at a civilised hour of the day (ie. not before midday!).

Also seriously contemplating changing the name of my log to "Constant Eating"... because that's what it feels like I'm doing at the moment! After breakfast at 8.30 this morning, I was ravenously hungry again by 11.30. Le sigh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

6 miles this evening, kept it easy (9.45/mile) because I felt bloody tired the whole time. Haven't slept well the last few nights. Bleh. Gonna get a decent lie-in on Saturday morning and then have my LSR at a civilised hour of the day (ie. not before midday!).

Also seriously contemplating changing the name of my log to "Constant Eating"... because that's what it feels like I'm doing at the moment! After breakfast at 8.30 this morning, I was ravenously hungry again by 11.30. Le sigh.

Not surprised! You're running really hard :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭yungwan

6 miles this evening, kept it easy (9.45/mile) because I felt bloody tired the whole time. Haven't slept well the last few nights. Bleh.

Sigh... if this was my fast time Id be happy! lol
    Pfft with ur easy miles!! :p

Great running RK, I continue to envy and admire in equal measures!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

yungwan wrote: »
    Sigh... if this was my fast time Id be happy! lol
    Pfft with ur easy miles!! :p

Great running RK, I continue to envy and admire in equal measures!

Agreed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭maria74

Second that agreement!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

must be something in the air, have had one of those nosebag days. Started with the best intentions - low gi bread, fruit, but soon graduated onto Loads of chocolate and biscuits... Must eat less tomorrow... Good mileage going on there missus, might see you on Sunday in Raheny?

I actually haven't been too bad with my snacking, I've a bag of clementines on my desk in work so I've been hitting that every time my stomach starts grumbling at inappropriate hours of the morning. That said, I've had a crazy longing for chocolate biscuits today... and when I got home from work my brother had opened a big packet of M&S chocolate biccies. :D

Gonna get a decent lie-in on Saturday morning and then have my LSR at a civilised hour of the day (ie. not before midday!).
    Famous last words. :pac:

Just before midday and I'm munching a Tiffin and drinking a can of real Coke after finishing just over 17 miles (9.30/mile average pace). Had the company of the lovely jcsmum for 10 miles of this, had a good oul' chat along the way. Probably didn't fuel enough for the distance I was going today (1 gel + just enough water to get the damn thing down) because I'd initially planned 15 miles and my "proper fuel" line time-wise is at about 2:30. Glad to get that done now anyway :)

Think my current Wave Inspires are fcuked though, cushioning in the forefoot felt a bit dead towards the end today so I'm going to break in the 2nd pair tomorrow. Got a 3rd pair ordered, Up and Running had them for £55 - and miracle of miracles, they had a 7 in stock. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

17 miles! You just couldn't hold back, could you?!?

Hope you savoured every bite of that tiffin- you deserved it. I really should have done another mile or two with you, I could have. Oh well.....:)

jcsmum wrote: »
    I really should have done another mile or two with you, I could have. Oh well.....:)

Next time! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Super training Rainbow Kirby! You're going to run a blinder in Barca :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Great running RK and good luck tomorrow

• Advertisement

Raheny 5 chip time: 40:31 (PB is 40:13 from this race last year)

18 seconds slower than last year. Didn't run 17 miles the day before last year, or start way too far back! :pac:

Only decided on the morning that I would do it, wanted to see how the legs felt after yesterday morning's exertions. Legs felt about 90% grand this morning, so I said I'd give it a go - would make a change from yet another Sunday plod around Tymon Park! This is my third time doing this race, it's one I do quite like, even if €30 on the day is a bit of a pain in the wallet. Didn't really know what to expect from the race, but I just said I'd give it a lash. Started quite a way back (took me ~50 seconds to cross the start line) and spent virtually the entire race passing people. First mile felt quite congested, but once I got into my stride it was grand. Probably should have done more of a warmup, but meh. Hit mile 4 and put the foot down heading up the hill, and passed a lot of people. Didn't quite hit the sub-40, but meh. This wasn't a goal race.

Even though I didn't PB, there are quite a few positives to be taken from today. I reckon if I'd done my long run earlier in the week, the sub-40 was there for the taking. It also gave me a chance to do some faster running, which is something I've been sorely lacking lately because I've been concentrating on a lot of long, slow running in preparation for Barcelona. I'm also feeling significantly more comfortable at 8 min/mile(ish) pace than I was this time last year, so that bodes well for a sub-50 10k. Gonna have a crack at one of those at some stage. Mojo is definitely returning anyway. :)

Also, McMillan is now saying the magic word when I put that time in: :D
    5 mile 40:31 -> Marathon 3:58:21

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

I TOLD you to go up further but you didn't listen to me! So much for "oooh if I break 45 I'll be happy" ya chancer... Great time, well done and fingers crossed that this time 5 weeks you'll have the sub4 done and dusted :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

I never cease to be amazed at your progress RK. Remember in 2007 when we started our logs are you were doing 11 min miles? Now you are comfortable at 8!! You totally rock! (Im still stuck at 11 min/miles by the way:(:))

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

You did 40.31 after doing a 17 miler the day before! OMG! :eek:
    Fair play to you!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Brilliant stuff Rainbow Kirby! You're in flying form :)

racheljev wrote: »
    So much for "oooh if I break 45 I'll be happy" ya chancer...
    I honestly didn't know how the legs would react to being asked to run quickly the day after an LSR, because I've never done that before! Thankfully the answer was "not too badly" :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

You're all over a sub-4 in Barcelona! Ding ding :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

3:58 sounds suspiciously sub 4 to me! Good omen for Barca.

5 miles recovery this evening through the wind and rain, took me about 10 minutes more than it did yesterday for the distance! Was listening to the MarathonTalk interview with Bruce Fordyce, what a legend. Just listening to him makes me really want to do Comrades...

170.5 miles for the month, which is by far my highest mileage month ever (best previous was September 2009, which had about 125-130). 2 more good strong weeks and then we're tapering. :D

Btw, any advice on how to handle the 5 weeks (training-wise) between Barcelona and Connemara are greatly appreciated...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Gl with the sub 4 attempt in Barca RK , nailed on....no pressure now:)

Advertisement