Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Constant Motion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

jcsmum wrote: »
    Too windy. ;)
    This I agree with. The risk of death-by-flying-Conor-Lenihan-poster is way too high tonight. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Sh!te, I hope it clears up quickly and you're back running next week. Hope the cross training goes well for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

This I agree with. The risk of death-by-flying-Conor-Lenihan-party is way too high tonight. :pac:

+100%:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Ah sh*te RK, that's really unlucky! Listen to the physio, and you'll be back on track in no time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Is there any way of cutting off the supply of blood to one's body that doesn't like to accomdate marathon training in the same way we've clearly cut off that same supply to our brains?!! :mad: to injuries!

Feel better soon :)

• Advertisement

claralara wrote: »
    Is there any way of cutting off the supply of blood to one's body that doesn't like to accomdate marathon training in the same way we've clearly cut off that same supply to our brains?!! :mad: to injuries!

Feel better soon :)

It's not even that my ankles don't like marathon training, they just don't like sneaky kerbs! :pac:

I think I'm going to bounce off the walls very soon, not getting a long run this weekend is actually killing me (and so is reading about everyone else's 22-26 milers...).

Went to the gym tonight because I could bear the lack of running no longer. Did 3 miles on the dreadmill... the ankle behaved itself, but the treadmill decided to stop working just after it clicked past 5km! Not being a fan of treadmills, I decided to mix things up a bit and added 2km on the rower and about 10km on the bike too.

Couldn't shake the "jaysus, that's lovely running weather" feeling while I was standing at the bus stop on the way home though, caught the mind drifting into ways of getting back out...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Went to the gym tonight because I could bear the lack of running no longer. Did 3 miles on the dreadmill... the ankle behaved itself, but the treadmill decided to stop working just after it clicked past 5km! Not being a fan of treadmills, I decided to mix things up a bit and added 2km on the rower and about 10km on the bike too.

Couldn't shake the "jaysus, that's lovely running weather" feeling while I was standing at the bus stop on the way home though, caught the mind drifting into ways of getting back out...

Exercise junkie!

mrslow wrote: »
    Exercise junkie!

Funny cos it's true... :pac:

And continuing on that theme, intervals with menopause and Aimman tonight at the UCD track. Warmup, 5x800m for me - each being in the 3:43-3:50 range, couple of easy laps of the track and cooldown. Ankle behaved itself, though I had to take my support off after 1 mile because it was digging into my arch in a really uncomfortable way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

A good session there, glad you’re back in business with the ankle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

You did well today. Me thinks you over dramatised that little kerb incident, haha.

You're back on course for Barcelona!:D

I'm just the worst person in the world at handling being injured in any way, shape or form!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Great that you're BACK! The rest might have done you the world of good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Good to see you back missus, hope the ankle holds up okay.

5 miles very easy in pissing rain this evening - didn't bother timing it but it was pretty much snail-paced. :pac: Was listening to this week's MarathonTalk - my name got mentioned in the Rate Your Run section because I was ranting and rated my run as a 1.0 out of 10 for last week!

Think I'm going to have to get a support that's actually comfortable to run in. Feels like the right foot is pronating slightly more than usual because of the injury and that could get awkward for my last proper pre-Barcelona LSR this weekend...

Physio this evening - just wanted to get some advice on rehabbing the ankle and that I hadn't done myself any lasting damage. Turns out the ankle is healing nicely, got a few strengthening exercises to do and was instructed to ice it more often than I'm currently doing. Plenty of "You'll be grand for Barcelona", even though it doesn't feel it! On a slightly dorky note, she has suggested that I wear compression knee socks for it, it will apparently give some support and be a little more comfortable over marathon distance than wearing an ankle brace would be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Physio this evening - just wanted to get some advice on rehabbing the ankle and that I hadn't done myself any lasting damage. Turns out the ankle is healing nicely, got a few strengthening exercises to do and was instructed to ice it more often than I'm currently doing. Plenty of "You'll be grand for Barcelona", even though it doesn't feel it! On a slightly dorky note, she has suggested that I wear compression knee socks for it, it will apparently give some support and be a little more comfortable over marathon distance than wearing an ankle brace would be.

See? Sometimes my advice is actually correct. :pac: Now I just to cut back on the bull

BTW I have a pair of compression socks that I am never likely to wear again. I can bring them for you on saturday if you want.

menoscemo wrote: »
    BTW I have a pair of compression socks that I am never likely to wear again. I can bring them for you on saturday if you want.
    As long as you don't have gigantic clown feet, that would be great :)

As long as you don't have gigantic clown feet, that would be great :)

Are they blue?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭opus

5 miles very easy in pissing rain this evening - didn't bother timing it but it was pretty much snail-paced. :pac: Was listening to this week's MarathonTalk - my name got mentioned in the Rate Your Run section because I was ranting and rated my run as a 1.0 out of 10 for last week!

I heard that when I was listening to it this evening! Mind you I've achieved 'fame' by getting mentioned in the last two shows after I stupidly put in my total planned weekly total mileage for the Febulous targets instead of my longest target run :o

Hope the ankle is well on the mend.

Bad day at the office today, and it wasn't the ankle that was the problem. Felt like I couldn't catch my breath at all after about 12 miles today while running, so had to stop to walk. Just hope I'm not coming down with something, that would really be the icing on the cake. If I feel alright tomorrow, gonna try to get out for an easy 8-10 and see what happens.

*le sigh*

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

It happens. Tomorrow will be better, don't worry about it. :)

I know this sounds strange but it might have been the sun this morning (assuming you had no sunscreen on). I was wearing a baseball cap but still appear to have burnt the head off myself.

Either way, please try not to dwell too much on it. I am sure it was just a once off today like the 10 miler last week. You know you are in good shape.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Sometimes you just get bad days. It doesnt change the base fitness you have. Dont stress about it, or youll wreck your head on the next lsr. :)

menoscemo wrote: »
    I am sure it was just a once off today like the 10 miler last week. You know you are in good shape.

I agree that you're in good shape and this is just a minor set back but just to be pedantic, 'it was just a once off today like the 10 miler last week' is a contradiction in terms :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

I'm sure it was a one off, you were doing grand up to tht point. Proabably something to do with Mars being in the region of Aries and the blackbird flying east into the dawn sun while the Tide was out., or something like that. Tomorrow will be different! :D

mrslow wrote: »
    I agree that you're in good shape and this is just a minor set back but just to be pedantic, 'it was just a once off today like the 10 miler last week' is a contradiction in terms :P

I didn't mean the 10 miler last week, don't know why I typed that :rolleyes:. The 10 miler was back in August when RK also had a bad day at the ofice for no apparent reason... That was just a once off too.

I think the fact that the last 2 days in work have been quite stressful might have been a factor here, gonna just relax and maybe have a few beers tonight (got a couple of bottles of Leffe with my name on them :pac: ), have a nice lie-in in the morning and hit the road again tomorrow.

(incidentally, it was also a planned 10 mile run when I sprained my ankle, and ran 9km on it after it happened before cutting the run short)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

That sounds like a good plan, enjoy the beers!

Advertisement