Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Constant Motion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

Bad day at the office today, and it wasn't the ankle that was the problem. Felt like I couldn't catch my breath at all after about 12 miles today while running, so had to stop to walk. Just hope I'm not coming down with something, that would really be the icing on the cake. If I feel alright tomorrow, gonna try to get out for an easy 8-10 and see what happens.

*le sigh*

It was only a minor blip this morning....Forget about it and enjoy tomorrows run :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

8.5 miles today (9.15/mile average pace) - felt very flat the whole way around, dunno what's going on here. Maybe the 5 day break convinced the body it was taper time, or maybe I'm getting a cold. I dunno. Meh. It's still miles in the bank anyway. Went over 200 for the year today, should have been there about a week and a half ago.

On top of all of that, we go and lose in the flippin' rugby (and I work for a French company, so this means lots of stick from the Paris teams tomorrow). Today is crap. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

Heard your name on MT this morning,
    I'm glad to see you're back running (in a slightly moany kind of way :-)) good luck with the last few weeks of training.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Fupping threw that rugby match away - not happy :mad:

Good to see ankle has recovered and hopefully energy levels return soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Glad you are back in business. Like the others said it was just a blip. Your marathon prep has been top notch and all going well on the day, you'll do a sub 4 in Barca. No pressure!
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

How's this week going for you? Are you out for a long one at the weekend or have you hit land of crazy already? :pac:

claralara wrote: »
    How's this week going for you? Are you out for a long one at the weekend or have you hit land of crazy already? :pac:

It's currently not going at all, took yesterday as a rest day, and today I appear to have developed a rather nasty cough that's making the front of my chest hurt a lot so I didn't run today either. Think it might be worth a doctor visit, just on the off chance that it's related to what happened on Saturday. Kirby is not a very happy camper, and this wasn't helped by De Mammy saying to me "You know, you don't *have* to break 4 hours in Barcelona..." :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

It's currently not going at all, took yesterday as a rest day, and today I appear to have developed a rather nasty cough that's making the front of my chest hurt a lot so I didn't run today either. Think it might be worth a doctor visit, just on the off chance that it's related to what happened on Saturday. Kirby is not a very happy camper, and this wasn't helped by De Mammy saying to me "You know, you don't *have* to break 4 hours in Barcelona..." :(

Don't let the crazy in, go to doc, get better, continue taper, you know you'll be fine - the work is done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Mind yourself missus, don't mind de Mammy, head for the doc and all will be well. Positive thoughts, positive thoughts....

Went to the doc at lunchtime today, have a low-grade virus thing going on. I don't have to take any time off running, but just shouldn't do too many hard efforts over the next few days. Could have been a whole lot worse.

• Advertisement

Went to the doc at lunchtime today, have a low-grade virus thing going on. I don't have to take any time off running, but just shouldn't do too many hard efforts over the next few days. Could have been a whole lot worse.

Mind yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

That's actually great news because because
    a) you know went wrong at the weekend
    and
    b) it should be cleared up long before Barca.

menoscemo wrote: »
    That's actually great news because because
    a) you know went wrong at the weekend
    and
    b) it should be cleared up long before Barca.

Just hope I haven't done my fitness too much damage this month to cost me a good time. Either way there will be a nice easy brain-soothing run after the match tonight, hopefully to mull over a Barcelona win :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Just hope I haven't done my fitness too much damage this month to cost me a good time. Either way there will be a nice easy brain-soothing run after the match tonight, hopefully to mull over a Barcelona win :pac:

Hope all is ok!!....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

Sorry about Barca. Don't know how you can head out so late in the evening. Hope you get back to 100% soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

I'm a neutral, so didn't really care who won, but that was a great game of football! I knew Messi was going to regret his missed opportunities.:rolleyes:

But on a more important subject, sorry to hear you're under the weather. Plenty of Vit C, Echinacea, sleep and fluids and you'll be right as rain. [mods - that's not medical advice - it's mammy advice! :D]

Good luck with the recovery.

hopefully to mull over a Barcelona win :pac:
    Famous last words :pac::mad: This ain't over by any means though, the leg at the Nou Camp should be a cracker. Someone restrain me from changing my flights. I owe Brian a pint now too :eek:

Moving swiftly (or not so swiftly) on. Got out for a short run after the match, 4 very easy miles. Just wanted a bit of fresh air really! Felt a bit better than I did on Sunday anyway, so I'm taking that as a good sign. Am armed with Berocca, Lemsips and a huge bottle of water, I'll blast this out of me yet!

Famous last words :pac::mad: This ain't over by any means though, the leg at the Nou Camp should be a cracker. Someone restrain me from changing my flights. I owe Brian a pint now too :eek:

Moving swiftly (or not so swiftly) on. Got out for a short run after the match, 4 very easy miles. Just wanted a bit of fresh air really! Felt a bit better than I did on Sunday anyway, so I'm taking that as a good sign. Am armed with Berocca, Lemsips and a huge bottle of water, I'll blast this out of me yet!

Go YOU! I looked out the window around 9oc, too dark, too late, too lazy. :rolleyes:

Another late run tonight - ended up meeting up with friends after work for coffee and crepes, so it was around 9pm by the time I finally laced up the runners and headed out. Did 6 easy miles this evening (~9.45/mile average pace), just felt like a bog-standard Thursday evening after work run (bit tired, but looking forward to the weekend).

Got my number in the post for the Operation Transformation 5k today too, my inner nerd was rather happy to get #42. :pac: Picking up on something that Tim Noakes said on MarathonTalk about doing a few good speed workouts close to your goal race, I'm going to have a good crack at it and see how I get on.

If you want to do 18 starting early on Sunday, I'm sure I could get out of bed a few minutes earlier and pick you up. Or if you'd rather start at 10, that is also fine!

• Advertisement

claralara wrote: »
    If you want to do 18 starting early on Sunday, I'm sure I could get out of bed a few minutes earlier and pick you up.
    That would be great :) Just want to get in one last good solid long one before Barcelona. I figure that at this stage my recovery powers are good enough to get away with an 18 miler 2 weeks beforehand. :)

That would be great :) Just want to get in one last good solid long one before Barcelona. I figure that at this stage my recovery powers are good enough to get away with an 18 miler 2 weeks beforehand. :)

Excellent! I'll be in touch so and we can make a plan. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Double or nothing on the Manu Crawley game this weekend? You can have Crawley :p

Double or nothing on the Manu Crawley game this weekend? You can have Crawley :p

Aw, you're so generous. :pac:

This bug needs to hurry up and fcuk off. Still a bit congested and sinusy this morning, which isn't optimal when you're trying to have a good crack at a 5k! Roughly 2 mile warmup (~10 min/mile pace) was enough to indicate that going all-out would be tough, and so it proved to be. Finished in 24.35 (7.54/mile), the legs were good for something a good bit quicker, but I just couldn't get enough air in to go any faster. I'm quite frustrated with that really, I think the MSB 5k is going to have to be entered (assuming I recover quickly after Barcelona) just so I can get that sub-24 5k out of the way. Needless to say, there was a little trip to Boots in the Square on the way home for some cold-blasting stuff...

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

Well done today- from marathon training to 5k racing via an infection, you're not asking for a lot!
    Enjoy your 18 miler- from the chat today it seems like you've all the hard work done already.

Last long run before Barcelona in the bag. :)

18.6 miles - started out with Claralara and hollypink (I think? Correct me if I'm wrong), ended up stretching out hollypink's run to nearly 8 miles when she had only planned 6 due to my terrible sense of direction. (Pro tip: Never ask me to plan your long run routes! :pac: ) Grabbed a gel and some water when we (finally) made it back to the cars and headed out with the guys and claralara. Was feeling pretty good most of the way around, though was starting to fade a little after about 16 because I probably could have done with slightly more fuel. That said, when we got to about 1km away from the cars, just up the hill after the Chapelizod gate, I decided to stretch the legs out a little. Dunno why, it made sense to me at the time. I think I just needed to prove to myself that even at the end of a long run I still had some strength there.

So very glad to have got that run in though, for mental reasons I needed to get one last solid long run in before Barcelona, having missed a 20-miler and dropped out early from a 22-miler this month. Feel a lot better about Barcelona now, time to taper. :D

ended up stretching out hollypink's run to nearly 8 miles when she had only planned 6 due to my terrible sense of direction. (Pro tip: Never ask me to plan your long run routes! :pac: )

They'd be longer for sure, you'd be real in trouble though if the people that were waiting for you weren't so easy going and understanding :rolleyes:

Nice run today, had to work to catch you in the end and I was only on 10+ ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

Last long run before Barcelona in the bag. :)

18.6 miles - started out with Claralara and hollypink (I think? Correct me if I'm wrong), ended up stretching out hollypink's run to nearly 8 miles when she had only planned 6 due to my terrible sense of direction. (Pro tip: Never ask me to plan your long run routes! :pac: ) Grabbed a gel and some water when we (finally) made it back to the cars and headed out with the guys and claralara. Was feeling pretty good most of the way around, though was starting to fade a little after about 16 because I probably could have done with slightly more fuel. That said, when we got to about 1km away from the cars, just up the hill after the Chapelizod gate, I decided to stretch the legs out a little. Dunno why, it made sense to me at the time. I think I just needed to prove to myself that even at the end of a long run I still had some strength there.

So very glad to have got that run in though, for mental reasons I needed to get one last solid long run in before Barcelona, having missed a 20-miler and dropped out early from a 22-miler this month. Feel a lot better about Barcelona now, time to taper. :D

Yes that was me alright. Still feeling proud of myself for doing nearly 8 miles today, even if I did fade after mile 7. Fair play on the 18 miles, I'm in awe of such mileage!

• Advertisement

hollypink wrote: »
    Yes that was me alright. Still feeling proud of myself for doing nearly 8 miles today, even if I did fade after mile 7. Fair play on the 18 miles, I'm in awe of such mileage!

It doesn't be long growing, you looked quite fresh as you got to the car park.

Advertisement