Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Constant Motion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Thrilled for you :D
    You put so much hard work into your training and you deserve your sub 4! Way to go! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

jcsmum wrote: »
    Thrilled for you :D
    You put so much hard work into your training and you deserve your sub 4! Way to go! :)

I'll be saying the same thing on your log in early June :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

I'll be saying the same thing on your log in early June :)

I can only hope! (and train like crazy!) ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

Well done on the sub 4!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Well done on the time but pity about the footie result!!

• Advertisement

Finally home, alcohol out of system, so it's time for a race report. As ye all know I haven't had the easiest of leadups to Barcelona, and it really did feel like a total kick in the proverbials when the second cold arrived last week. One trip to the pharmacist for a tactical nuclear strike worth of drugs, and one absolute meltdown on Thursday night in front of an old friend, and we were off. Thankfully the cold had improved a lot by Saturday and particularly Sunday, but it didn't help the nerves much and I was still asking myself the usual "What the fcuk am I doing?" questions on Sunday morning. Was knocked a little out of my usual comfort zone by not being able to get my porridge in my hotel on Sunday morning, my substitute breakfast was some Catalan bread/pastry thing with loads of sugar and sunflower seeds. I don't like change on marathon morning, but meh. Nerves were hopping at this stage.

So to the race. Positioned myself between the 3:45 and 4:00 pacers at the start. Felt like absolute ****e for the first 5km, calves were tight and getting up to marathon pace felt quite tough. 5km split was 28:23. Definitely started to feel a bit better after that, but it really took about 8-9km for me to really settle down into my running. Hit 10km in 55:46. Left knee started to niggle slightly at about 13km, told myself "shut up, this is just a silly phantom injury" and kept on trucking. Pretty much got bodychecked at the water stop at 15km and swore at some random Spanish guy because of it. Hit 15km in 1:23:44. An English guy started talking to me at about 18-19km, he'd noticed my Dublin Half-Marathon 2009 shirt (my lucky shirt, I've done my first and third marathons in it now) and wanted to know my opinion of the race. Turned out it was his 88th marathon and he was aiming for the 100 Marathon Club, and he was giving his opinion on various races he'd done too. This was quite a nice distraction and it helped to bring me through 20km in 1:52:08 and through halfway in 1:58:10. He told me at this stage "Go on, you're a bit too quick for me" and this made me smile. Felt pretty damn good at this stage, and 20-25km was my second fastest 5km split of the race (27:24, to come through 25km in 2:19:31. Things started to feel a bit tough around the Diagonal at about 27-28km, and by the time I hit 30km (in 2:47:38) I was getting to the "Right. Just keep it going. Take absolutely everything you can just to keep on moving" stage. Started to suddenly feel quite cold and goosepimply and wasn't sweating much at all after about 32km and that worried me greatly - particularly because with this part of the course being in full sun right on the seafront it was probably the warmest part of the course. Lashed back a load of Powerade at the 35km water stop, took my fourth gel and that definitely helped because I did feel a bit better afterwards. At that stage it was just a matter of checking the Garmin every few minutes, trying to keep the pace under 6 min/km and keeping one foot in front of the other. The last 10km in Barcelona is probably the single hardest thing I have ever done in my life. Splits slowed quite a bit, went through 35km in 3:16:58 and 40km in 3:46:11. The last 2.195km was purely running on fumes, I had nothing left at all and just kept telling myself "Just get to the line, the pain will be over sooner if you just keep on running". Almost lost it at this stage too, the last 2.195km took nearly 13 minutes. Crossed the line in 3:59:00 by my Garmin, which also turned out to be my chip time. PB for me by 25:56.

Honestly I'm still in shock at going sub-4. If someone had told me on Thursday night that it would happen I would have laughed at them. The feeling on crossing the finish line is something that I just can't describe, not just to hit my target but to feel like I'd finally avenged Dublin '10 too... I really can't put it into words. Gracies Barcelona! :D

Congratulations to all the other boardsies who ran Barcelona too, some really great performances - and not just in the karaoke in the George Payne afterwards! :pac::D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Well done again J!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Well done again missy, great performance. Don't know how you did it in that weather, I'd have been royally pissed off with the sun coming out on marathon day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭aero2k

..." the pain will be over sooner if you just keep on running".
    I love that line, I think I might borrow it!

Great run, congratulations.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Fantastic running RK! You must be very proud :)

Love reading the reports! I'd say they have planted a few ideas for lots of us :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Congrats on the great run.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Perkina3

Congrats Rainbow!!! We all knew you would do great!!! But you have set me target now!! gotta get 3:58.59 now :P

Depending on my circumstances in the next couple of months..... like on how things go.... I intend on running the London Marathon in 2012 and Dublin Marathon in 2012.... Wud anyone be interested in going for these:P.... Aiming for 3.30 again but would be happy with a sub 3.45 ;)....Rainbow you no u wna :eek::eek::eek::eek:

I'm concentrating on 2011 at the moment, will take a look at 2012 next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Great run RK - massive chunk off the PB. The performance of the day IMO

Just if anyone's curious, Garmin trace.

Just if anyone's curious, Garmin trace.

The Garmin ho has arrived!:pac: Welcome to the 'must circle the car' club:P

Back in work today. Spent most of the day thinking "I want to get out for a run". Went to get up and head out after the Spurs game (what a waste of an evening) and my left knee was pretty much having none of it. Decided to attack my ITB with the foam roller - holy ****balls that was painful. :eek:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Nice race report. Congrats on the great time :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

and my left knee was pretty much having none of it. Decided to attack my ITB with the foam roller - holy ****balls that was painful. :eek:
    Payback time:eek:

Both myself and Opus got mentioned on Marathon Talk this week :)

• Advertisement

After waking up this morning with every bit of my legs apart from my left knee and ITB feeling pretty much good to go (therefore proving that the knee niggle isn't just normal post-marathon crapness), I decided to head to the physio. Left ITB is pretty much in full rebellion. After having much pain inflicted on me, I've been told to take a week off running and that there's about a 90% chance that I'm out of Conn. ITB problems and hills don't mix. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

After waking up this morning with every bit of my legs apart

More info then we needed thanks! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

After waking up this morning with every bit of my legs apart
    Aimman wrote: »
    More info then we needed thanks! :eek:

:D Well said Aimman....You must have been ready with that foam roller again RK ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭opus

Both myself and Opus got mentioned on Marathon Talk this week :)

Interesting! I can guess you got a nod for the stellar performance in Barcelona but can't imagine why they would mention me :confused: Ah well I'll find out during my long run on Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

90% chance that I'm out of Conn. ITB problems and hills don't mix. :(

So there's a 10% chance that you're in...:rolleyes: No pressure... Haha, only messing. Take care of yourself. You have a sub 4 pb to beat in the future ;)

claralara wrote: »
    You have a sub 4 pb to beat in the future ;)
    Roll on Dublin :pac:

Really though, before then I want to go sub-24 for 5k, sub-40 for 5 mile and sub-50 for 10k first, before having a good crack at 1:50 for the half. Physio pretty much rolled her eyes at me last night when I told her my marathon PB was 3:59 but my 10k PB was 52 minutes...

Roll on Dublin :pac:

Really though, before then I want to go sub-24 for 5k, sub-40 for 5 mile and sub-50 for 10k first, before having a good crack at 1:50 for the half. Physio pretty much rolled her eyes at me last night when I told her my marathon PB was 3:59 but my 10k PB was 52 minutes...

Parkwest 10k is supposed to be flat and fast! Think it's on in June.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

mrslow wrote: »
    Parkwest 10k is supposed to be flat and fast! Think it's on in June.

it's July. Are you trying to divert people away from Dunshaughlin in June? Don't want witnesses to the dust-eating? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

RayCun wrote: »
    it's July. Are you trying to divert people away from Dunshaughlin in June? Don't want witnesses to the dust-eating? :D

Boom! Mwahahahahaha!

• Advertisement

RayCun wrote: »

Dunshaughlin sounds like a good one actually, problem is it's the weekend of my birthday when some drinking should be done instead. :pac:

Advertisement