Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool v Manchester City

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I think both teams deserved the draw lucas missed an absolute sitter

If Ireland can keep his performance levels up I really think he could be one of the worlds greats I know it's only early days yet but he was great on the ball great tracking back and did well to keep just on side for his goal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

I think if we were given 7 minutes of added time we would of got the win tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

2 more points dropped today, should Villa win vs. Burnley, they'll go 4 clear, Spurs win and they go 5.

That said, I thought Liverpool were better today than they have been for a while imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭In_tuition

Stephen Ireland "we feel robbed" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

PHB wrote: »
    That said, I thought Liverpool were better today than they have been for a while imo.

sorry, that's not true.

1st half we were ok, played decent football, but did not look penetrative.

2nd half we scored, then after that we were terrible, and scored because of City slackness.

Birmingham was far far better. we should have battered them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

Podge2k7 wrote: »
    I think if we were given 7 minutes of added time we would of got the win tbh.

Ye got 10 mins of added time today, just made one of the most boring matches I have ever seen even longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Podge2k7 wrote: »
    If we had played better we would have got the win tbh.

FYP

• Subscribers Posts: 16,596 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Probably didn't deserve more than the draw. Shocking defending for both the city goals. Didn't show enough going forward, but early injuries never help. Having to send on Benny so early was never good. We were poor but City weren't great either. I don't fancy them getting top 4 ahead of us based on that display. No matter how bad we are currently playing. Villa and Spurs ahead of us at the moment, but would expect them to go through a terrible spell at some stage.

Melion wrote: »
    Liverpool played well

I stopped reading there. Sorry but we did not play well today.

We are really struggling at the moment and having rotten luck re injuries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

Ye got 10 mins of added time today, just made one of the most boring matches I have ever seen even longer.

It may have been many things,but boring it certainly was not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

The money was just resting in my account.
    mark_hughes_blackburn1.jpg19297.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭Hoki

We have now conceded the most goals from set pieces this season (Richard Keys after the game) , thats a disgraceful stat for a team supposedly challenging for honours, i know we have been good in the past in this area but fook me if something is broke you gotta try fixing it. How many goals would we have prevented this season by having 2 on the posts :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Dermot morgan hero fact.

had to be said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

what game were you watching? the first hour was the most boring game i've seen in a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

We should of had a penalty at the end after Bellamy bundled over Kuyt, that's all I really have to say, overall it was a fair result.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Not happy with the result obviously, but that is the season that is 2009/2010 for Liverpool so far.

Agger - BAM!
    Babel - BAM!

WTF do we have to do to maintain a relatively full first team squad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    We should of had a penalty at the end after Bellamy bundled over Kuyt,

Lol ridiculous suggestion.

Crap first half but an excellent second.

Ade was anonymous apart from the goal. Ireland was superb once Tevez came on. Thought Carlos was really good as well. Yet again undone by our inability to defend well.

I know it was only his first game back but Gerrard was missing for much of the game.

Would have taken a point beforehand but we could easily have left with three.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Sh!t match. Sh!t result! Sh!t season

Xavi6 wrote: »

Really? We must have seen different replays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Yet again undone by our inability to defend we

Getting rid of Dunne, and your calls for it too, seems to be a pretty silly decision now.

Doesn't it?

• Advertisement

Crap first half but an excellent second

There were 4 goals in the 2nd half but the standard from both teams was shocking. Was far from excellent.

A decent team would have tore shreds out of city.

Des wrote: »
    Getting rid of Dunne, and your calls for it too, seems to be a pretty silly decision now.

Doesn't it?

No getting rid of him wasn't the problem, his replacements are.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Liverpool probably should have won, but could easily have lost. Bit disappointing overall though. I thought we started with an excellent tempo and urgency, but the injuries and break in play stopped that. An ok-ish performance, but things need to pick up very soon.

That Kuyt incident at the end could have been given. It would have been pretty generous, but I've seen them given. It would have annoyed me a bit to have it given against my team though, so that says how much I really thought it was a penalty.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    There were 4 goals in the 2nd half but the standard from both teams was shocking. Was far from excellent.

I meant excellent in the sense that it was end to end and exciting in comparison to the snorefest of a first half.
    A decent team would have tore shreds out of city.

Same goes for Pool tbh

Same goes for Pool tbh

agreed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

City did what they had to do defensively in the first half and then did what they had to do after Liverpool took the lead. Probably should have started going for it earlier tho after the injuries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

No getting rid of him wasn't the problem, his replacements are.

he's better than his replacements are currently playing, and he wasn't playing that badly for City.

He was a bit of a scapegoat, not "glamorous" enough for City, I mean Jolean Lescott ffs, he's a liability. Dunne is, and always will be, a better defender than him.

Getting rid of Dunne was a mistake, and a stupid decision which is being shown up now.The fact that his replacements are not up to it only compounds this fact.

Yes, the replacements are a problem, but the biggest problem is that Dunne is gone. City would be comfortable in third place, in my opinion, if Dunne was still there.,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Agreed on the Dunne issue, serves City right. Villa and Spurs look the better candidates for fourth at the moment.

I could hardly give a damn watching today's game - not exactly sure when I am going to get over Wednesday.

Worst few months as a football fan ever.

he's better than his replacements are currently playing, and he wasn't playing that badly for City.

He was a bit of a scapegoat, not "glamorous" enough for City, I mean Jolean Lescott ffs, he's a liability. Dunne is, and always will be, a better defender than him.

Getting rid of Dunne was a mistake, and a stupid decision which is being shown up now.The fact that his replacements are not up to it only compounds this fact.

Yes, the replacements are a problem, but the biggest problem is that Dunne is gone. City would be comfortable in third place, in my opinion, if Dunne was still there.,

You should be Dunnes agent !

I don't see a problem with getting rid of Dunne. The club should have gone about it better though.

I don't rate Toure at all and Lescott was made look good at Everton by Jagielka.

Truth be told, our best centre half partnership was sitting on the bench today, and that's who should be playing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

It was shocking stuff, so looking forward to decent football after the week thats in it and the first 45 minutes had no chances and at best 5 mins fo decent action. 20 minutes at the end it had a decent period but no team played well enough to actually win it. the Kyut 'incident' was a good tackle by Bellamy and nothing more.

Its hard for Rafa to change things around when effevtively 2 of his substitutions were enforced after 15 minutes but still the match was bloody awful stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Below the opening par from BBC website. now we are not even making claims to a top four place. I'm awake but I cant smell the coffee. Polly put the kettle on!

Liverpool and Manchester City fought out a draw at Anfield that failed to provide compelling evidence to support the claims of either club to finish in the Premier League's top four.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/eng_prem/8364417.stm

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Below the opening par from BBC website. now we are not even making claims to a top four place. I'm awake but I cant smell the coffee. Polly put the kettle on!

Liverpool and Manchester City fought out a draw at Anfield that failed to provide compelling evidence to support the claims of either club to finish in the Premier League's top four.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/eng_prem/8364417.stm
    Sounds about right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Personally I think Dunne is overrated. He's a good solid CB, but by now means the quality that City need to get getting. Lescott however isn't a massive improvement on Dunne, except that he's a little younger. Hangeland was the defender to get during the summer imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Hangeland was the defender to get during the summer imo.

Why would he join a lesser team?

:pac:

Just curious. Which choice centre half did we bring on when agger came off. How bad is the injury crisis after today?

Lescott however isn't a massive improvement on Dunne, except that he's a little younger. Hangeland was the defender to get during the summer imo.

Lescott isn't an improvement at all.

Hangelaand i can't argue with though.

i just don't understand how Lescott and/or Toure aren't being dropped. Kompany is quality.

suits the rest of us though.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Anyone spot how Ronnie Whelan harped on about the (supposed) cost of Liverpools squad and didn't mention the price of Citys?

mike65 wrote: »
    Anyone spot how Ronnie Whelan harped on about the (supposed) cost of Liverpools squad and didn't mention the price of Citys?
    Ronnie has been harping on about cost of Liverpool's squad for ages. As a rule he sings a different tune on Liverpool TV. anyone concur?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

SlickRic wrote: »
    Lescott isn't an improvement at all.

Hangelaand i can't argue with though.

i just don't understand how Lescott and/or Toure aren't being dropped. Kompany is quality.

suits the rest of us though.

:)

hope lescott is happy with his bulging bank balance...:rolleyes:

Ronnie has been harping on about cost of Liverpool's squad for ages. As a rule he sings a different tune on Liverpool TV. anyone concur?

He does be on Liverpool TV? That's a disgrace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Look Whelan is bitter for whatever reason and won't let it go until Rafa is fired. Just wish RTE would hire some people who actually know their stuff.

Bandit12 wrote: »
    Look Whelan is bitter for whatever reason and won't let it go until Rafa is fired. Just wish RTE would hire some people who actually know their stuff.
    Yeah just finished watching the highlights. A lot of what Whelan is said is true. We are conceding an awful lot of goals from set pieces. Zonal marking does not work for us. Once heard a pool fan say "how do you mark a zone". We defend one sector and the other team exploits the free space. Seems simple enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,109 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Yeah just finished watching the highlights. A lot of what Whelan is said is true. We are conceding an awful lot of goals from set pieces. Zonal marking does not work for us. Once heard a pool fan say "how do you mark a zone". We defend one sector and the other team exploits the free space. Seems simple enough.

Its been said a million times before but - Its not the system, Its the players!

The system works and has been proven to work. Today nobody attacked the ball whatsoever. By defenition, someone would have been assigned that zone and didn't do their job. It looked like it should have been Skrtel's job but he was completely flat footed.

~Rebel~ wrote: »

The system works and has been proven to work. Today nobody attacked the ball whatsoever. By defenition, someone would have been assigned that zone and didn't do their job. It looked like it should have been Skrtel's job but he was completely flat footed.
    Are you saying the players still haven't grasped the system. Again watch the goal. Three or four players on the line. No one picking up Adebayor for first goal.If the players cant play to the system, we need a new one. Eleven goals if im right conceded off set pieces. Its not working.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,596 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

~Rebel~ wrote: »

I'm not sure I agree, today it looked like Skrtels zone was the 6 yard line, forward and back, not out toward the peno spot. Adebayour sat in his zone, then moved into another one quickly and you can see in the replay 2 man city runners to the front post took our men out of that zone as they man marked rather than covering the zone.

So it looked to me whoever had that zone went with the runners leaving the space free for Adeybayour.

It also looked like a pre planned move and although zonal has been proven to work over the years it appears to me that other sides are spending a lot of time working on ways to beat it at set pieces. Its a realtively easy move to work out our zones and have all attackers move back and forward between them which causes us a fair bit of confusion.

I'd personally feel a mixture is required, rather than trying to stick to a rigid system that the players don't seem to trust.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

why? god forbid someone on liverpool tv has an honest opinion?

i don't like him, but he's entitled to his opinion.

it's hardly a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

He said something like: 'With the amount of money they spent this summer it isn't good enough'.

Oh yes all that money. All minus 1 million pounds of it :rolleyes:

In fairness though, as much as I think that zonal marking is a system that works (it has worked for us in the past), I do think he may have a point and I agree that questions may need to be raised. There is no way we will compete in any competition conceding this many goals from set-pieces. Its just far far too many. Its costing us a huge amount of points.

If it isn't the system that is at fault, then I really think that Skrtel's place in the team may come under question. I have serious doubts about whether his aerial ability is good enough for the PL. I don't want to scapegoat him but it appears that he is the main culprit for a lot of these goals. I don't think we could be leaking so many goals from set-pieces with Sami around. (Although I agree that Skrtel is clearly worthy of a place in the team based on current available centre-backs).

It's very worrying to say the least and it really needs to be sorted, it's got to the stage where excusing these goals as minor blips in an otherwise good system just isn't holding ground anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Morzadec wrote: »
    He said something like: 'With the amount of money they spent this summer it isn't good enough'.

I

sorry now but thats rubbish in one aspect

liverpool bought an injured player, aquaman could turn out to be a great buy but the league is over now. if liverpool bought a fit player, I would be pretty sure liverpool would still be in the title race.

• Advertisement
Advertisement