Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there any significance in Ireland's defeat?

• 20-11-2009 11:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 527 ✭✭✭

Is it possible that Irelands defeat to France could have a significant impact on the Irish economy in that it will prevent thousands of people from spending their money/life savings in South Africa rather than Ireland?

I was at the game and am as heartbroken as the next person but I just had this thought today and would like to hear some opinions.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Irish Ecomomy aside , I think the qualification for the WCF would have being the boost that the whole country needed ,something for the population to look forward to next year and distract them from the daily worries about the economy etc .

I live in north west england and people all over England (and byond) are as outraged as the people in Ireland about that decision . I have heard people discuss and say that by Ireland not qualifying ,it will have a knock on effect on the local travel industry this side ,if only because many irish people in Ireland /UK (looking for the cheaper alternatives ) would have choosen to book their tickets , flights and accomadation through travel agents on uk sites and to also to book on the high street .The pub industry would have gained by the amount of irish people wanting to go out and support the country during the wold cup .So the affects will be felt , on a much smaller scale I might add ,across the water to .

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

I suppose it depends on whether people will spend the money they would otherwise have spent or just save it instead. I'm guessing it's a relatively negligible amount of money in the scheme of things though. I wonder how much business pubs will lose.

read irisheconomy.ie much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 527 ✭✭✭EI111

read irisheconomy.ie much?

Haha i never have but now that you point it out I see someone beat me to it. Well good to know my thinking is on point. Good discussion there too I see.

Advertisement