Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum break between shifts?

Options
  • 20-11-2009 11:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭

What's the minimum break between shifts? I have read that its something like 10 or 11 hours or something. Is this true?

Currently, we are getting 9 hours from when we finish on a friday and start again saturday morning. It used to be 10 hours but some people sees it that the earlier we're in, the earlier we're out.

By the time I get home and wind down, I only get 6 hours sleep. This isn't enough for me and i can't physically do it anymore. I said this to the manager and nothing happen. I mean, we used to get 10 hours, why change it to 9 hours? Its the same work we do whatever time we're in. I don't know should I start sleeping it out, so they might get the hint.

Is there anything I can do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

its supposed to be 12 hours but 11 is allowed so long as its only once and your over 18.

if your management tough, place I used to work in I was home at 11pm and back out at 4:30 am following morning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

You have a legal entitlement to an 11 hour break in every 24 hour period plus and additional 24 hour break once a week (or a48 hour break every 2 weeks). Look here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

It's 11 hours. It's a bit of a problem where I work, muppets always rostering people on the late one day (and therefore have to leave at 8- rest of us could be there till 9) and the early the next (7). My friend was shocked when I was giving out about how one day there was 2 of us left to finish up when 6 others got to leave- not their fault obviously- she had been dealing with 7 hours between shifts for months! And she's not contracted so can't say anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭lisajane

Has anyone ever brought anything against their employer regarding not getting enough hours between shifts? Or can you?

The worst thing about not getting enough sleep is that i get migraines. Real bad ones. So for the sake of missing out on 2 hours, every week i get a migraine due to lack of sleep. The problem is it doesn't hit me until after work. So i guess management couldn't give a fuk cause i've got the work done. But it affects my whole afternoon and evening off, which is meant to be the start of my weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

It's 11 hours minimum, definitely.

• Advertisement
Advertisement