Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stephen McPhail diagnosed with cancer

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Link not working7

Edit:Is now

Terrible news =/ Hope he recovers ok

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Link fixed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

http://backpagefootball.com/info/england-news/stephen-mcphail-diagnosed-with-cancer/
    Cardiff City player, and former captain, Stephen McPhail has been diagnosed with cancer, a club statement has revealed.
    The statement read:
    “Cardiff City midfielder Stephen McPhail has been diagnosed with a stage one malt lymphoma, previously known as a pseudo lymphoma.
    Treatment is expected to last for three weeks with a return to playing football by January, 2010.
    The club requests that the privacy of Stephen, his wife and young family be respected during his recovery.”
    McPhail, has 137 appearances to his name at Cardiff, as well as 10 caps for the Republic of Ireland. Everyone here at BackPage Football wishes him a very speedy recovery, and our thoughts are with his friends and family at this difficult time.
    Get well soon Steve.

Sad to hear, but good to see he should make a rapid recovery. I know he only played a few games for Ireland, but puts a crazy week into perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭johnp

Jaysus, wish him a speedy recovery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Poor guy. I wish him all the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

puts all the b*tching about everything else into persepective really.

get well Stephen.

i wish you nothing but a speedy and full recovery.

• Moderators Posts: 8,728 ✭✭✭x PyRo

Very unlucky with injuries and the like over the years. Top bloke too. Get well soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Get well soon man!! Good to hear they still expect him to playing in 2010!!!

Always terrible to hear stuff like this!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Back to football in not time hopefully. Get well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

Get well soon to Stephen :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

sounds like an early detection, hopefully we'll see him back in action before he has to hang up the boots though age related reasons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

Hope he has a speedy recovery.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I'm shocked by this as was only watching him against Forest a few weeks ago but he went off injured.

Get well soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 959 ✭✭✭pablodunlop

Get well soon Stephen,was one of my favourite players when I began supporting Leeds. MOT

Slightly OT but it would seem John Hartson is on the way back to recovering
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/nov/14/john-hartson-battle-with-cancer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/c/cardiff_city/8372023.stm
    Cardiff City and Republic of Ireland midfielder Stephen McPhail has been diagnosed with a form of cancer.

McPhail, 29, is to undergo three weeks treatment for stage one MALT lymphoma.

He was told five weeks after he had surgery to remove a lump from his neck and tests revealed he had the uncommon form of Non-Hodgkin lymphoma.

"Early stage disease usually causes few symptoms. It is more likely to go away completely after treatment," the Lymphoma Association said.

A Cardiff statement said McPhail could start playing football in January.

Lymphomas are cancers of the lymphatic system which is part of the body's immune system.

The Lymphoma Association confirms that "the most common symptom of lymphoma is a painless lump or swelling in the neck, armpit or groin."

The association advises that early stage low grade non-Hodgkin lymphoma - stage one or two - "may have little impact on how you feel."

McPhail, who joined Cardiff from Barnsley in a free transfer in the summer of 2006, has won 10 international caps for the Republic, the last of which came against Nigeria in 2004.

He has played 10 games this season but has been out since sustaining a thigh injury in the 1-1 draw against Nottingham Forest on 1 November.
    It sounds like they've caught it quickly, so let's hope he can recover quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

hopefully, we'll see you in the premiership next season Stephen, hopefully you'll get well soon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

Get will soon, hope to see you back playing football again soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Get well mate. Can't wait to see you back playing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Seems to be an early detection
    Get well soon and hopefully back playing soon too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Terrible news for himself, but hopefully he will fully recover after his treatment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 545 ✭✭✭shanel23

Get well Soon lad

- great memories of Stephen scoring twice against Chelsea at the bridge for Leeds in a 0-2 Leeds win .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Best of luck to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

shanel23 wrote: »
    Get well Soon lad

- great memories of Stephen scoring twice against Chelsea at the bridge for Leeds in a 0-2 Leeds win .

Great player when he was at Leeds!! a favourite of mine!!! We're all thinking of Stephen and his family!! I hope he makes a full recovery!!!

MOT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

get well soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

Stephen was a year ahead of me in school, lovely chap anytime I spoke to him. Get well soon.

Advertisement