Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia E72

Options
  • 21-11-2009 12:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭

Hi,

I am looking to get a Nokia E72 since my HTC Touch Diamond screen stopped working. I read a million reviews about the E71 and even though I'm not a business user, I use e-mail and web all the time, so this is a perfect phone for me.

What I was wondering though is, the phone comes with 10.2Mbps HSDPA... my question is, what are my realistic chances of getting this in Ireland? I'm on Vodafone at the mo?

I could log onto each and every website of the providers and find out, but they might tell fibs, so any users out there with similar specs phones (prob blackberrys) with any info would be much appreciated.

Any thoughts on the phone too? Would you buy it? €350(ish!)??? Not cheap, but good price for the spec you get!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

DanGlee wrote: »
    Hi,

I am looking to get a Nokia E72 since my HTC Touch Diamond screen stopped working. I read a million reviews about the E71 and even though I'm not a business user, I use e-mail and web all the time, so this is a perfect phone for me.

What I was wondering though is, the phone comes with 10.2Mbps HSDPA... my question is, what are my realistic chances of getting this in Ireland? I'm on Vodafone at the mo?

I could log onto each and every website of the providers and find out, but they might tell fibs, so any users out there with similar specs phones (prob blackberrys) with any info would be much appreciated.

Any thoughts on the phone too? Would you buy it? €350(ish!)??? Not cheap, but good price for the spec you get!

There's a thread on this phone already.

You only get the max download speed if you're the only customer on the cell and you're standing right underneath the tower. In other words you won't see even the colour of it.

On the train today using a 3.6 Mb capable handset I was pulling a max of about 150 KB/sec

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

Hi,

You are not going to get 10.2mbps on that phone I believe. On e63 i only get 2-4mbps over wifi with my 10mbps upc cable modem, and on e71 the highest i got was 3mbps on umts. But they might have changed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 mout

Just had official confirmation from Vodafone Irl that they will not be offering the E72.
    Seems bizarre as this phone will surely be a big seller.
    The first network to offer it will get my business anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭MrsMcSteamy

Oh my god, are you serious Mout ?? I have been holding out buying a new phone because i have been waiting for the E72. Looks like i wil be buying sim free or changing network.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

boooo to this news

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Its sim free online for €350-400 since last week, screw the networks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

Seems strange. Vodafone uk are doing it. Maybe they are waiting until they have offloaded all their e63 and e52? iPhone for me now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

mout wrote: »
    Just had official confirmation from Vodafone Irl that they will not be offering the E72.

Source if you don't mind me asking ?

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭DanGlee

That sucks.

Am going to UK tomorrow, might see if they available SIM free over there in shops, otherwise its eBay.

Can't anybody confirm (for the sake of buying from ebay/online) that Nokia "do" have a 24 month warranty? I ready it somewhere, but was a little vague!

Thanks.

That sucks.

Am going to UK tomorrow, might see if they available SIM free over there in shops, otherwise its eBay.

Can't anybody confirm (for the sake of buying from ebay/online) that Nokia "do" have a 24 month warranty? I ready it somewhere, but was a little vague!

Thanks.

24 month is correct. You can buy now in online stores, €35-400 as i said earlier, you dont need to go the ebay route

• Advertisement

You can buy online now, dont need to go the ebay route

I have been looking around online (there a thread I stared in Rip off Ireland about it)

But basically, the UK sites selling it, ether:

A: Don't ship to Ireland
    or
    B: Change the price from £300 to €409 when you put your Irish address in.

All Irish sites are €400+. So unless I can find a UK site that ships to Ireland (I'm sure there some...) I will have to find an eBayer thats ships, which there generally are more of than official online shops that ships to Ireland and still charge around £300, which converts to around €350, which should be the official selling price anyway, not €409+ shipping!

Phew...

I have been looking around online (there a thread I stared in Rip off Ireland about it)

But basically, the UK sites selling it, ether:

A: Don't ship to Ireland
    or
    B: Change the price from £300 to €409 when you put your Irish address in.

All Irish sites are €400+. So unless I can find a UK site that ships to Ireland (I'm sure there some...) I will have to find an eBayer thats ships, which there generally are more of than official online shops that ships to Ireland and still charge around £300, which converts to around €350, which should be the official selling price anyway, not €409+ shipping!

Phew...

Well the official sim free price with nokia in the Uk is £359 sterling, which is €398 so thats the reason irish sites are over the €400. Their is uk sites that post here, expansys is just one of the top of my head.

Oh, I thought it was around the £300 mark, as most on ebay are around that price? I wonder if a shop sold them, you could haggle with them saying you can get it online for £300 and they might knock a bit off?
    Suppose no harm in asking!

Yeah expansys ship, but always found them pricy!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Lots of unhappy customers on Mobile-review.com reporting build quality issues, software problems as well as poor call quality. One poster is already on his third unit. All the problems seem to mirror those found on the E52. Shame if true because the e71 was arguably one of the company's best ever phones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

Lots of unhappy customers on Mobile-review.com reporting build quality issues, software problems as well as poor call quality. One poster is already on his third unit. All the problems seem to mirror those found on the E52. Shame if true because the e71 was arguably one of the company's best ever phones.
    It's only out, no phone starts off perfect. Bug fixes, software updates and hardware revisions to come shortly, happens with the best of them including the E71.

PS: All phones should have torches :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

hardware revision unfortunately leads to you changing the unit with all the hassles that brings.

cpu-dude wrote: »
    It's only out, no phone starts off perfect. Bug fixes, software updates and hardware revisions to come shortly, happens with the best of them including the E71.

Very true unfortunately. The early buyers are also testers :rolleyes:

I remember the same about the n95 when it first launched, and then it became probably the most popular model

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

Looks like I might hold onto my beloved E71 a little bit longer in that case :D:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭hedgeh0g

cpu-dude wrote: »

And a lighter :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Glowing review on GSMArena.com.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Breezer wrote: »
    Glowing review on GSMArena.com.

Mobile-review's own review was extremely impressive.

I think I'll still buy it. I'm not going to be put of by one of two bad reviews. And you never know how heavy handed some users area of these devices? If you look after it, it will last!

I think I'll put the order in this week!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭jamesd

Would the e75 be another option against the e72 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

the e72 is a great phone it succeeds the e71

its also available sim free which is best option

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I have a E71 and I think its brutal. Ok its got great battery life, keyboard and the size of the phone is great. Keyboard is good. But the camera is woeful. The software is like a 1st year student wrote it. It does so many dumb different things. like if you have a missed called, and you ring them back from say you recent called list, it doesn't clear the missed call. Lots of things like that. For me the only saving grace is the calendar is usuable. Though again it does lots of annoying things.

The E72 camera is much improved from the E71 model, while still having the other good stuff like long battery life etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

It has a rds radio something the E71 doesn't. It has visual radio or some rubbish.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Gonna be getting this phone fairly soon. Cant wait tbh :D

Advertisement