Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wolf sightings in Ireland

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

lightening wrote: »
    I don't know what park you are talking about. I am pretty sure kids get lost in parks around the country all the time. I actually don't have any wolves, and I don't intend to release packs of hungry wolves with machine guns strapped to their heads in to various parks and playgrounds to maul and eat the poor trildren. I am just having a discussion about a very wild part of Ireland where lots of indigenous wildlife already exists. It's a vast area with lots of mountains and valleys. The terrain is pretty rough and I don't think a kid would get far before being missed to be honest.

Do you not have a pack? My god, were safe so.:rolleyes:
    I know the area very well.
    Its not how far a child could go, its how close a hungry wolf could come. Especially with there machine guns:rolleyes:.

Oh and the park? Kilarney as you said earlier. Your right were trying to have a discussion, no need to get all smart and over the top with your replys.
    I think were all entitled to our opinions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Dusty87 wrote: »
    no need to get all smart and over the top with your replys.

Ah, I was only messing... Slagging off the "won't someone please think of the trildren" cries. They always come up when someone mentions anything with risk.

So, seriously, is no part of Killarney not two clicks (can't get over this distance) without houses? I wouldn't count roads. They are everywhere and a lot of them are hardly ever used for most of the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

So, seriously, is no part of Killarney not two clicks (can't get over this distance) without houses? I wouldn't count roads. They are everywhere and a lot of them are hardly ever used for most of the year.

My comment was tongue in cheek. But there are very few places left where there isn't some form of human habitation relatively close by.

Furet wrote: »
    My comment was tongue in cheek

Thanks Fook! You really had me worried there Furet!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ClovenHoof

Wibbs wrote: »

There were wolves here. Big buggers too by comparison to the ones in the UK. The last one AFAIR was killed in Kerry in the 1700's

1699 - although their howling was recorded in Donegal and Tyrone until around 1831.

The should be reintroduced to cull deer populations in the Kerry, Donegal and Sligo IMHO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Heard about a man in the wilds of Leitrim who is breeding wolves and living with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,755 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

The only thing stopping a viable re-introduction project for wolves in this country is the primitive attitude towards wildlife in Ireland, particualry among certain elements of the farming community - the experiance with the various Raptor re-introduction projects is evidence enough for that. Ireland is a country with a low population density, increasing deer numbers (approching pest proportions in many areas) and plenty of mountainious wild land.

One stumbling block is the huge number of EU subsizied sheep in otherwise ideal wolf habitat in places like NW Mayo, Kerry and Donegal. However this situation will change dramatically when the CAP comes to an end in 2013, removing incentives aimed at propping up non-viable farming practices and re-directing farm supports to environmentally sustaineable rural development. Forestry is likely to play a large part in this as Carbon offset measure in various climate agreements will make this type of land use much more attractive then traditional livestock alternatives for farmers on marginal lands.

PS: There is much needless fear and ignorance about the threat wolves represent to people - countries like Spain and Italy have growing wolf populations that are seen as no threat to rural dwellers who more or less accept the species as part of their Natural Heritage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

There are a number of posters here who are posting what can just be regarded as utter spam. This is a serious discussion so please try to refrain from purile comments and posts. Last warning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Birdnuts wrote: »
    particualry among certain elements of the farming community - the experiance with the various Raptor re-introduction projects is evidence enough for that.

Do you think it was only the farmers that did that?

Well i dont know. Who else did ya have in mind?........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Well i dont know. Who else did ya have in mind?........

Without going into the details too much...let's say it's seems as likely to have been hunters/gun club members who did the deed "to protect young game".
    I'm not from a farming background but people are too quick to accuse farmers of laying poison or objecting to re-introduction projects. Far for the truth in my experience.

Without going into the details too much...let's say it's seems as likely to have been hunters/gun club members who did the deed "to protect young game".
    I'm not from a farming background but people are too quick to accuse farmers of laying poison or objecting to re-introduction projects. Far for the truth in my experience.

Well, judging from previous threads with quotes like this from someone in the field;

"Well dont know where you are coming from wit that because if you check the stats the majority of firearms owners would be farmers, farmers sons"

It seems they are more or less all the one.

Well, judging from previous threads with quotes like this from someone in the field;

"Well dont know where you are coming from wit that because if you check the stats the majority of firearms owners would be farmers, farmers sons"

It seems they are more or less all the one.

I have to contradict that statement. I have regular contact with Gun Clubs as part of my work and easily 70% of the members do not have a farming background. Maybe once but certainly not in the past 10 or 15 years. Most are rural dwellers alright but certainly not farmers. Farmers hold firearms certainly but they are not active Gun Club members as a whole.

100% agree Grey Prickly Shoulder. Im not a farmer, there is farmers in my family alright but there is a bandwagon people jump on with opinions of farmers. One farmer does something wrong and the whole lot are painted with one brush.

Farmers hold firearms certainly but they are not active Gun Club members as a whole.

Probably because most farmers would use them for vermin and for protecting their livestock or crops. Would have no interest in joining a club.

I have to contradict that statement
    100% agree Grey Prickly Shoulder. Im not a farmer, there is farmers in my family alright but there is a bandwagon people jump on with opinions of farmers. One farmer does something wrong and the whole lot are painted with one brush.

Don't know where you are going with that Dusty to be honest with you, if it's not farmer and not hunters, who is poisoning? What bandwagon? And that was you I quoted dude!!

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=62280466&postcount=20

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭lee_

Wild wolf, this blew me away when I first saw it

Don't know where you are going with that Dusty to be honest with you, if it's not farmer and not hunters, who is poisoning? What bandwagon? And that was you I quoted dude!!

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=62280466&postcount=20

Lightening,
    What is your problem with me. No matter what i post you always try to stir stuff.
    Did i once say it wasnt farmers or hunters?? No i didnt. A farmer actually owned up to one if i recall and there was talk of charges. I suggest you read my posts again.
    And where are you going with what i posted before?? I actually dont understand what your getting at. This annoys me because i never once looked for an arguement with you before. You come on here giving out about hunters half the time, then post in the hunting forum. Will you make up your mind. And what ever your problem is with me can we sort via pm because im sick of you making snide remarks at my posts.
    This is a nice forum and i dont want to be going of topic everytime i post.

Lightening and Dusty, you two have me totally addled! ;)

Let's get the distinction clear and the context from where my statement is involved.

The loss of birds from the re-introduction schemes has not been linked to Farmers. Yes, farmers have guns and lay poison but farmers do not make up the majority of Gun Club members (who also have guns and lay traps and poison). Ergo the ignorance displayed by Gun Club members towards many of our predatory species is not to be confused with the opinions of the farming community.
    Let's also not confuse irradication of vermin with killing valued wildlife. (another thread needed here really).
    I have to agree that there is a "bandwagon" every time someone mentions re-introducing any species, (be it raptors, wolves, or wild boar, ) which immediately jumps to the conclusion that farmers will object. Totally sterotypical comments every time.

Anyway back to the topic. What about those Wolf sightings...

Lightening,
    What is your problem with me. No matter what i post you always try to stir stuff.

I have no problem with you Dusty, I may have got your qoutes wrong, you may have picked me up wrong. I thought there was conflict in the two things you were saying, anyway, sorry if I caused offense.
    You come on here giving out about hunters half the time, then post in the hunting forum. Will you make up your mind.

I can and will post on both forums, just like yourself, I have an interest in both subjects, I won't be pming you either, there isn't a problem as far as I can see.

EDIT... just looking back at the thread, I was a bit smart and I didn't realise it was you each time Dusty, genuinely no malice intended there.

• Advertisement

I have it on good authority that a member of the farming community was responsible for nearly all the eagle deaths in Kerry - thankfully this individual has now been "dealt" with:)

Likewise in Donegal a landowner next door to Glenveigh NP is strongly suspected as being behind a number of eagle deaths there:(

Was it not elements in the farming community that were (mis)using stychnine for years before it was banned:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭lee_

I have it on good authority that a member of the farming community was responsible for nearly all the eagle deaths in Kerry - thankfully this individual has now been "dealt" with:)

Likewise in Donegal a landowner next door to Glenveigh NP is strongly suspected as being behind a number of eagle deaths there:(

Excuse my ignorance, why kill the eagles,

and how was he dealt with??

lee_ wrote: »

Some people think they were killing livestock etc.
    I was told by a falconer the eagles released are scavengers and will only eat what they've found already dead. He said they would want to be very hungry before they'd kill anything themselves.

EDIT... just looking back at the thread, I was a bit smart and I didn't realise it was you each time Dusty, genuinely no malice intended there.

No problem, just got a little hot headed after a long day myself.;)

lee_ wrote: »

You use the word "ignorance" - and thats the reason why these gombeens engage in these illegal activities.

To answer the second part of you question the individual in question is being closely monitored and has been cautioned by the relevant authorities and a criminal case is being put together:)

This thread has wandered a long way from possible Wolf sightings. The tone is becoming far too aggressive.
    Enjoy. I'm out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

I know that the over proliferation of deer married to wild goats, etc, is meant to be playing havoc with various woodland areas.
    Graces7 wrote: »
    Heard about a man in the wilds of Leitrim who is breeding wolves and living with them.
    There's going to be a lot of very strange hybrid youngsters wandering around.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭the_dark_side

dont worry, that farmer is well known...

the wolves must have got here in sheeps clothing :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Wandering way off track. Locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement