Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Class photography - Ideas?

• 21-11-2009 12:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 228 ✭✭

I will be taking pictures of all the classes in the local primary school and trying to think outside the box a little in terms of the composition of the group. One thing I'm certainly going to try is shoot down from a height (ok up 2 steps). Anybody got any other thoughts / ideas, anything rather than the traditional three rows of glum looking kids with a horrible background !!

Due to the ages involved I can't post up the results but will let you know the outcome.

Thanks

Eoin

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

emul wrote: »

Due to the ages involved I can't post up the results but will let you know the outcome.

Are you too young to post a pic on the 'net?

Have the little tykes each bring in a mask of their face and before the shot is taken they've to switch masks with their neighbour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Fionn

Depending on the location you may have little option but the firing squad type, the some may even expect this type of photograph, especially the school.

Some problems you may find include:
    one or more people are nearly always looking in different directions (ask people to look into your lens, ask them to make sure they can see the lens!)
    blinking - so always always take a few shots
    different expressions - some co-operating, others acting the maggot!! Try and grab their attention. (Get the teacher to help) bring sweets, don’t go in there on your own – you wont survive!!

Other considerations
    Locations - for instance the assembly hall – you can maybe get a step ladder and take an overhead shot with something a bit wide-angle.
    The classroom again if you’ve something wide and maybe an extra speedlight or a reflector
    Remember exposure! If you can get lights and a background and can use them - it makes a huge huge difference, otherwise maybe two speedlights or perhaps outdoors weather permitting of course.

Think of how your controlling DoF especially if the group is three deep or spread back!
    Oh and use a tripod!!

Good luck
    :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I would go for the traditional three rows & just try to do it well.

It is how these shots have been done for many years & that is why it works. These shots will fit in with similar shots at different times of their lives. It is a format that is meant to conform to the rules understood by everyone and has stood the test of time. As posted above there are many challenges to getting this right.

After you have nailed the formal shot, only then should you consider trying something different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭squareballoon

I had this idea for a class photo that I didn't get a chance to use. divide the class into 4 groups. Lie on the ground and get them to stand over you with their heads together looking down at you like in a scrum. Then crop the photo into a square and put all 4 photos in a square montage.

Even better if they don't have a uniform and you can group them into clothes of similar colours.
    Good thing about this is that they can't really help but look at you and you've fewer to manage at once.
    bad thing is that it might be a bit to different for some schools.
    If you go for the traditional one then having someone behind the shooter with a fart machine always work a treat for getting them to look.

Advertisement