Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Paul McShane

• 21-11-2009 1:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭

Only realised the guy is 23 :eek: seriously thought he was in his early 30's yikes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

In_tuition wrote: »
    Only realised the guy is 23 :eek: seriously thought he was in his early 30's yikes

this only means .... loads more years of being in the Ireland Squad !!! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

He could be around the setup for a long time to come.

He is a complete liability, and I hope we cultivate another centerback or two, or Joey O Brien returns to Boloton asap !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭In_tuition

PCPhoto wrote: »
    this only means .... loads more years of being in the Ireland Squad !!! :eek:

I know.

Dam this is such a wake up call lol, I'd no idea he was so young.

Only came across his age while I route through the squad to see who could possibly play in the next world cup qualifying campaign

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Het-Field wrote: »

He is a complete liability, and I hope we cultivate another centerback or two, or Joey O Brien returns to Boloton asap !

He makes Kilbane look like Maldini in his prime

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

He makes Kilbane look like Maldini in his prime

ooh crikey ... Kilbane and McShane on the pitch together. *Shudder*

I think it was actually said of Dunne in Japan but there was a quote (in the times I think).....which I dont think I'll forget for a while yet .... but can easily be used for the other two.

"He has the grace and poise of a sedated rhino"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Het-Field wrote: »

Please no Joey O'Brien, he's as bad as that other Cobh fella

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

When O'shea pulled up, I knew that was it. McDonkey on and France would win...

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Seillejet

Fahey deserves a run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Seillejet wrote: »
    Fahey deserves a run.

not at RB or CB he doesn't. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

mcshane shouldnt ever grace an ireland jersey ever again. ****ing useless waster, how he even become a pro is beyond belief. He must have a great agent

• Advertisement

he was a youth at Man United :eek: played in the 2003 youth cup final which they won

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

His debut (I think) v Czech Republic for Ireland was one of the best CB performances I have seen since Paul McGrath v Italy

He really lived on the back of that for the rest of his Irish career I feel though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

SlickRic wrote: »
    not at RB or CB he doesn't. :)

Seamus Coleman in at RB, problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Headshot wrote: »
    mcshane shouldnt ever grace an ireland jersey ever again. ****ing useless waster, how he even become a pro is beyond belief. He must have a great agent

Fact. I think it's an insult that he gets anywhere near the set up. He is beyond useless, how he is playing in the premiership is beyond me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGMuoxihmu4

I follow S'land and that video perfectly summed up his career right there. This was only from September till January that season :eek: - Keane had the sense to go out and loan Jonny Evans in the January window. He didn't play a game after that in 07/08 apart from one appearance - a horror show in the Tyne-Wear Derby in April.......and only played because of an injury crisis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Should have been Kelly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,270 ✭✭✭✭briany

I actually shouted, got up and left the room when I saw McShane was coming on on Wednesday but in fairness to him he stepped up his game like everyone else and really played his part. Could he have gotten to the free kick of doom? I'm not sure but Given could maybe have stuck a hand out to stop the cross too but maybe at that point the Irish players were sure the ref had seen the handball, at least that's what I gather from the replay. Maybe McShane could have played a little D-Fence, stolen the ball, travelled up field and put it in the French net for a three pointer?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

McShame!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Didn't someone else make a very similar mistake and try and let a ball go which Henry got on the end of (with his feet) and nearly tapped it in and in fairness to McShane Henry did handle the ball to keep it in, not exactly what you try and protect him from. The boy is only 23 and showed promise early on. it's too early to write him off and it's not like Ireland are flushing with other options. O'Shea wasn't much better at that age

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

To me, its testament to how much Premiership football Trapa watches that he has McShane the team.
    This is lovely:

Shoulda stook to the Pro Evo if you ask me.
    :rolleyes:

To me, its testament to how much Premiership football Trapa watches that he has McShane the team.
    This is lovely:

Shoulda stook to the Pro Evo if you ask me.
    :rolleyes:

His performance when Sunderland lost 7-1 to Everton was the worst performance I've seen from a defender in my experience watching the Premier League. Lawro even labelled him "McShame" on MOTD. I cringed that he was an Irish international, and just the week prior to that I thought Dunphy was being a tad harsh when he declared him "an accident waiting to happen" when we drew against Wales in Cardiff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Went to the same school as this lad, Cocky fecker. Never actually thought he was that good but cause he was on his way to United he was a God.

Got kicked out of class a few times cause i said he was muck and the teachers who loved him said i was a idiot, I lol at them now. He is a donkey imo.

Had one good game -v- Czechs, done nothing since. I could mark Koller and look good FFS.He got lucky that night. Hate him.

EDIT - That bleached hairdo fools nobody.

• Moderators Posts: 8,728 ✭✭✭x PyRo

We never know... Maybe he'll do a Titus Bramble ?.

When hell freezes over!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Oliver1985

Cant beleive he is in the irish team but his tackle on anelka was bril:o

I put my head in my hands when I saw McShane warming up on the touchline - I was praying for the sight of Stephen Kelly on the touchline when they said O'Shea had to go off. His positional sense is so bad that if he wanted to go back to France he'd end up in Boston. :(

Strangely, he makes fantastic debuts. Obviously against the Czechs and he had Berbatov and Keane in his pocket on his Sunderland debut. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

I think the list of comments on the match thread the other night spoke volumes once he was brought on....four letter expletives everywhere :D

I dont watch much Eircom league soccer but surely there is a defender worthy of McShanes place in the squad?? Would be brilliant for our domestic league rather than looking at some guy who plays for Hull who is quiet frankly sh1te!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

PCPhoto wrote: »
    ooh crikey ... Kilbane and McShane on the pitch together. *Shudder*

Please don't do that, Kilbane is nothing like McShane.

Outstanding the other night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I think it puts it into prespective how lucky we are to have o'shea who can slot into anywhere in the back

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

I know he is complete ****, but I remember when he came on the scene he was being billed as the next McGrath by some. He was brilliant for his first five games at CB, then it went bad.

Is he not really a CB? Why is he even played as FB, he is obviously terrible there..

That Foley bloke is better so is Kelly,Wilson from Pompey and even Finnan..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Didn't someone else make a very similar mistake and try and let a ball go which Henry got on the end of (with his feet) and nearly tapped it in and in fairness to McShane Henry did handle the ball to keep it in, not exactly what you try and protect him from. The boy is only 23 and showed promise early on. it's too early to write him off and it's not like Ireland are flushing with other options. O'Shea wasn't much better at that age

Actually, O'Shea was much much better at that age. In his first two seasons, he was oustanding. Then he suffered indifferent form for a couple of years, not least because he was being played in central midfield for a while. Then in the last 2 years, he's really begun to reach his potential. He was top quality from the start though, unlike McShane, who'll have to work his way up and improve a lot.

But he's young, so maybe he will.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭DEVEREUX

as soon as he came on i txted the brother to say that we f**ked. o' shea no doubt would have got his head on the free and cleared.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

PHB wrote: »
    unlike McShane, who'll have to work his way up and improve a lot.

But he's young, so maybe he will.
    I can't see how he'll improve. He doesn't have the physical attributes for Premier League football and seemingly lacks a defenders brain.
    • As that video shows, he's slow, really, really slow
    • His ball control is non-existant
    • He has the reactions of my half deaf grandmother
    • His decision making is shocking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

DEVEREUX wrote: »
    as soon as he came on i txted the brother to say that we f**ked. o' shea no doubt would have got his head on the free and cleared.
    they were my thoughts as well. But not sure if it is fair of OP to start a thread highlighting McShane's error. Not his biggest fan but singling him out given it was a handball a bit unfair.

they were my thoughts as well. But not sure if it is fair of OP to start a thread highlighting McShane's error. Not his biggest fan but singling him out given it was a handball a bit unfair.

:confused: I didn't start a thread highlighting McShane's error - I haven't even mentioned it.

I was referring to the fact that I was amazed he was 23 as I perceived him to be much older.

The thread arose due to finding out the fact when searching through the ROI squad last night to see who we realistically would have in our squad for the next World Cup qualifying campaign.

You have it totally wrong.

• Advertisement

:confused: I didn't start a thread highlighting McShane's error - I haven't even mentioned it.

I was referring to the fact that I was amazed he was 23 as I perceived him to be much older.

The thread arose due to finding out the fact when searching through the ROI squad last night to see who we realistically would have in our squad for the next World Cup qualifying campaign.

You have it totally wrong.
    He only made his debut in last campaign. Doesn't look that old to me really. Maybe the hair adds years on him. But why have a thread devoted to him. Its highlighting one player when you could highlight six or seven.
    All for commenting on a player within a thread but not devoting a full thread to one player unless its in a positive light.

He only made his debut in last campaign

That's irrelevant. Andrews only made his debut last year and he was 28.
    Its highlighting one player when you could highlight six or seven

Highlight a player for what? You are seeing this thread in a different light to how I started it.

And that is perfectly acceptable for I cannot control what other posters say but for you to nab me for starting the thread and accusing me of "starting a thread on McShane's error" and "singling out" is totally disrespectful because I never said anything like that.

You are missing the point of my post which I have explained to you.

I said exactly why I started the thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I hate when a player is played in an unfamiliar position and then gets stuck there despite being bad to very average in that position and not too bad in their original position. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

JPA wrote: »
    I hate when a player is played in an unfamiliar position and then gets stuck there despite being bad to very average in that position and not too bad in their original position. :rolleyes:

He's been playing RB for most of the season :rolleyes:

Almost certain he was a fullback at West Brom too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

Only realised the guy is 23 :eek: seriously thought he plays like he's in his early 30's yikes

Fixed that for you:D

The guy shouldn't be allowed near an Irish shirt

Col200sx wrote: »
    Fixed that for you:D

The guy shouldn't be allowed near an Irish shirt

:D thank you, thank you :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

PHB wrote: »
    He's been playing RB for most of the season :rolleyes:

I know, he's been a full back for a while now, but he's still brutal at it. He's a natural CB, he hasn't adapted to FB at all, yet he continues to get picked there.

That's irrelevant. Andrews only made his debut last year and he was 28.

Highlight a player for what? You are seeing this thread in a different light to how I started it.

And that is perfectly acceptable for I cannot control what other posters say but for you to nab me for starting the thread and accusing me of "starting a thread on McShane's error" and "singling out" is totally disrespectful because I never said anything like that.

You are missing the point of my post which I have explained to you.

I said exactly why I started the thread.
    sorry was just wondering why you have the word yikes in your original post. If he has youth on his side surely that is a positive. Where do you stand on the issue?

I know, he's been a full back for a while now, but he's still brutal at it. He's a natural CB, he hasn't adapted to FB at all, yet he continues to get picked there.
    noodler wrote: »
    Almost certain he was a fullback at West Brom too!

Eh?

Anyway, he has been atrocious for Sunderland during his initial spell at CBT anyway, ditto for Ireland (Wales game for xample).

sorry was just wondering why you have the word yikes in your original post. If he has youth on his side surely that is a positive. Where do you stand on the issue?

Have the word yikes purely because of being startled to find out his age.

It had nothing to do with the possibility of him being around the Ireland set-up. I know pretty much everything about football, european and world leagues and I was simply shocked to find out he was only 23.

I have obviously overlooked him in recent years - I simply figured he was in his early 30's.

I said in one of my final posts last night following on from what people said of him that I was tempted to forgive him for being at fault giving how young and inexperienced he is.

So I suppose that's where I stand with it. As we all know you got to make mistakes but more importantly learn from those errors and if he does then I would have no issue with him donning an Irish shirt in the future - after all he is the future that I will go and support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Banter Joe

A mistake is a mistake, no problem there.

It's the fact he's absolutely useless and yet still playing that bothers me so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Dimitri

He's a player prone to mistakes, he made several at Sunderland, not that a mistake is unheard of but he seem to make silly errors, he should've had that ball cleared before Henry caught it. I'm sure Sunderland fans can direct to examples where his lapses in concentration have left him caught out of position and cost them on occasions. The only thing is 23 is young for a centre back (he definately is not a full back given his lack of touch and pace) and he can improve. Positioning for a centre back is crucial and requires game time in the position to master. However given Irelands other defensive options i don't think he should.ve been on the bench, i'd have Finnan there in a heart beat. Finnan on the right O'Shea on the left, Dunne and St.Ledger is a very strong defense in my mind. And McShane watching on T.V.

Dimitri wrote: »
    He's a player prone to mistakes, he made several at Sunderland, not that a mistake is unheard of but he seem to make silly errors, he should've had that ball cleared before Henry caught it. I'm sure Sunderland fans can direct to examples where his lapses in concentration have left him caught out of position and cost them on occasions. The only thing is 23 is young for a centre back (he definately is not a full back given his lack of touch and pace) and he can improve. Positioning for a centre back is crucial and requires game time in the position to master. However given Irelands other defensive options i don't think he should.ve been on the bench, i'd have Finnan there in a heart beat. Finnan on the right O'Shea on the left, Dunne and St.Ledger is a very strong defense in my mind. And McShane watching on T.V.
    Yes i think Finnan is a good option but again I will say to vilify one player in a thread (and I accept it didn't start that way) is a bit unfair. I wouldnt agree with our midfield but would never single out Andrews or Whelan as it is at the end of the day the kind of treatment that A Reid was subjected too. (Today he got a standing ovation but Trap has made him feel that small by freezing him out. it is an appalling situation and exacerbated by fact that no one gave him a moments thought during the week. He has been completely isolated from all of this.
    Point being would hope we would never do that to any Irish player on these boards. As much as I think McShane has his problems to put him under such scrutiny is not in the spirit of these boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

noodler wrote: »
    Please don't do that, Kilbane is nothing like McShane.

Kilbane while not a great player is well up there for players who represented Ireland.
    Will exceed 100 caps if not already and there isn't a player on the pitch who has more pride. Legend imo

McShane is a liability. I do remember he got rave reviews for one game as CB for Ireland years ago, I don't remember the specific game
    But he is never a a right-back and not even a Premiership or International defender.

I hoped to see Kelly play instead of him

• Advertisement
Advertisement