Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Todds/BT

Options
  • 21-11-2009 1:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭

Anyone see todds display, I hear the moving puppets are back after 20 years

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭source

They weren't gone 20 years, maybe 10 at the most, and i was there today and they have some swanky display with loads of white clothes and not a moving puppet in sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

I really do miss Todds window

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭phill106

about 10 years gone id say, be great if they were back alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

phill106 wrote: »
    about 10 years gone id say, be great if they were back alright.

Does it really fit with the Brown Thomas image thse days?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

They stopped doing moving windows at some point in the 80s IIRC. Up til them they did a big festive window, with somewhat garish anamatronics, aimed mainly at children. One year it was "A Smurf Christmas."

But about 10 years ago they did "classy" moving windows for 3 years, I think '98, '99 and 2000. They were smaller displays confined in "frames" depicting a story. One year it was the Nutcracker and I think the other was the 12 Dancing Princesses but I'm not sure. The 3rd year they repeated the one from the 2nd year, which sucked.

I preferred the 80's style ones, they were more fun for children. I don't like the idea of "classy" christmas decorations anyway, multi-coloured cartoon style ftw. But classy puppets was better than no puppets. And in one of the displays one of the male puppets had a telescope between his legs that he opened and closed in a way that looked like he was having a ****. :D In my defense I was a student at the time so inadvertently **** puppets was high humour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

They had Fraggle Rock Puppets one year! that were impressive.

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

iguana wrote: »
    And in one of the displays one of the male puppets had a telescope between his legs that he opened and closed in a way that looked like he was having a ****. :D In my defense I was a student at the time so inadvertently **** puppets was high humour.

I'm well into my 30s but inadvertant **** of any nature is still table-slappingly funny.

Todds old idea was aimed at younsters and I have fond memories of going to see it as a kid. It was part of the Limerick Christmas and they had Santa's grotto in the shop upstairs. BT market to adults though so we won't see such displays again. Their current winter window display is impressive you'd have to admit. Quite classy.

Advertisement