Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

whats the flooding like in offaly?

Options
  • 21-11-2009 2:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

hi guys

im hopin to be travelling down to limerick tomorrow.

my friend is moving to the uk cos of the recession and its probably going to be the last time i see her for a while. so im wondering what its like in offaly at the moment.

cant really find out anything about it lookin on the net. hoping someone can tell me if youve all been affected by all the flooding.

going to be travelling through birr etc.. im in athlone. seems like theres a bit of atlantis everywhere at the moment.

thanks a million :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Id go the birr-roscrea-nenagh route other than the birr - borrisokane -nenagh route as that road can be prone to some flooding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Couple of fields underwater around me but thats it. I think offaly dosnt be too bad with flooding anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Kent Brockman

AK1976 wrote: »
    hi guys

im hopin to be travelling down to limerick tomorrow.

my friend is moving to the uk cos of the recession and its probably going to be the last time i see her for a while. so im wondering what its like in offaly at the moment.

cant really find out anything about it lookin on the net. hoping someone can tell me if youve all been affected by all the flooding.

going to be travelling through birr etc.. im in athlone. seems like theres a bit of atlantis everywhere at the moment.

thanks a million :)

You may find this link useful
    http://www.aaroadwatch.ie/map/map.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 AK1976

thanks guys

all went well . still recovering ha ha!

no probs with the roads thank god.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭medoc

the situation in west Offaly is not good at the moment. Lusmagh and parts of Banagher are flooded and as usual the Shannon Harbour area is bad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

It could be worse!

Last year, Offaly County Council voted to rezone a flood plain in Tullamore: fortunately the town has escaped major flooding - no thanks to the Biffos like Barry Cowen - although some of this area is now waterlogged.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/councils-to-build-on-flood-plain-1468918.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭I_luv_2_ski!

hi,

Just wondering whats it like around Birr at the moment?

Bringing a group of scouts down at the weekend. Were staying in the Kinnity Log Cabins (owned by Birr scouts so I'm guessing theie near by to Birr)

Any answers would be great as were deciding tonight if were going ahead woth it or not!

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 25 irish horse

hi no real flooding in birr the log cabin is up in the mountains so should be alright.the weather is to be a bit better on saturday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭I_luv_2_ski!

Thanks Irish Horse!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

Essexboy wrote: »
    It could be worse!

Last year, Offaly County Council voted to rezone a flood plain in Tullamore: fortunately the town has escaped major flooding - no thanks to the Biffos like Barry Cowen - although some of this area is now waterlogged.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/councils-to-build-on-flood-plain-1468918.html

where is this Grand Canal Quarter that they talk about in that article?! :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Scawgeen

I think it's a site behind ?? the Railway station, opposite OCC headquarters and stretches down to the river. I don't have any map links...sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

Scawgeen wrote: »
    I think it's a site behind ?? the Railway station, opposite OCC headquarters and stretches down to the river. I don't have any map links...sorry.
    is it not on the cappincur road? beside where the free car park is, opposite Sacred Heart school?

Bogger77 wrote: »
    is it not on the cappincur road? beside where the free car park is, opposite Sacred Heart school?

Maybe, but I can't see 400 acres there. 'Grand Canal Quarter' there's posh for ya ! very European.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭offaly1

is it not on the cappincur road, say between the cappincur roundabout of the new bypass and the portarlington road roundabout? :confused:

"..................... stretches from the rear of Tullamore Railway station, Kilcruttin, the Grand Canal and as far as Charleville estate. The development will be known as The Grand Canal Quarter."

Come up ya boya! Think this is it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 742 ✭✭✭channelsurfer

its flooded all over it by the canal behind the railway station at srah.. the drains beside the canal are right up to the edge.....say what they like but if they build there it will only move the problem to somewhere else...it has to be madness to allow this happen if it does go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭medoc

If a developer builds on a flood plain and puts in all the correct defences, leaving his new development perfectly dry and safe in accordance with whatever planning conditions, the water still has to go somewhere. On the news in cork and galway there were houses flooded that were built years ago and never in trouble before, surely some of this was caused by natural floodplains been removed from the equation. When looking at the zoning and development of floodplains other areas developed and undeveloped must be taken into account aswell. If there is to be any devolopment on a floodplain it should be only allowed in certain exceptional circumstances eg. an extension to a hospital or school thats next door or some strategic infrastructure thats vital and the only viable location is the plain, taking a view of the whole river basin to see what effects the development will have further along. Definatly not houses and commercial development that could be built in countless locations in town.

Advertisement