Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SGU 1x09 "Life" [SPOILERS]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Dawsons Creek: The Next Generation
    You could say the same when you watch many of BSG's character episodes, particularly those with the love triangles in later seasons. I don't think it's any more like "Dawson's Creek" than any other show which has drama elements.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭seithon

I have to say... The more I watch this the less I like it.. Its interesting in places but the characters are pretty bland and uninteresting.

About the only character I like is Rush, the rest can just go hang somewhere, I was excited to see new tech... and then they went and showed someone beating up someone else..

If this keeps up I'm just not going to bother :/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Boring. Boring. Boring. I've never been so bored watching Scifi before. It was like Dawson's Creek! Okay, we saw the chair, but that was all. Christ, I'm even disappointed I used some of my broadband allowance to download it.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Gotta agree with seithon there, I barely recognised the two characters who were fighting. One of them (the botanist) I dont think I have seen before. The characters simply arent interesting or well scripted.
    Ely, Rush, the captain, thats about it for interesting characters. Not just that but its poorly shot, very lazy. Compare the camera work to BSG which really made you feel like you were in the thick of it. Its very bland in Universe. Still, I'll give it a series but I suspect it will be its only series. :(

Just a note on costs... shooting on "earth" would be more expensive then on the ship
    its not a *real* space ship you know :p
    . They have a set and most importantly control over the environment. Going out on location is much much much more complex (you have crowd control, are at the mercy of the elements, transport for a BIG crew, food provision, trucks not to mention renting the location). So its not budget that is making them shoot more on "earth".

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Another dull episode :( The communication stones really need to go as they lead to boring Dawson's Creek type Earth rubbish.

Not enough focus on the few interesting characters (Rush, col and the black soldier and to much focus on dull characters (everyone else). Dev is bang on the money about SGU being a one season show and if it was airing on any other US network it would of been canned by now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

I saw it yesterday and I can already barely remember what it was about. Still remember the previous episode though as that was excellent.

I do remember I jawned a lot even during the lesbian scene :D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

"Time" is the sort of episode we should be getting - it showcases the real promise of the show and re-affirms our hopes for the show.

"Life" is the sort of episode we should not be getting - it shows the real dullness that can pervade dramas and re-affirms many people's fears about the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

I disagree guys, these episodes are needed too. They give you background to understand the motivation of characters, next time you'll see them in action you'll know what they might think and what shapes their decisions. Also they're bound to interact being on this ship all the time - I prefer them to have their likes and don't likes, and not just ignore one another in between the shootings. What Park or Franklin are doing and feeling might resurface later and it won't feel rushed or fake.

See how the chair is introduced and will most likely be played later. In Atlantis they'd discover it, use it and discard it all in one episode (two parter if we're lucky). In SGU it will be a longer story arc, with decisions ho to use it and who will use it, and these decisions will actually have consequences for a change, as opposed to the "gadget of the day" approach.

This show will actually make good DVD viewing - I've seen previous Stargates on DVD and the "one episode, one task" matrix was excruciatingly boring after a while. How many action episodes can you watch in a row - they would benefit from more development or diplomacy oriented episodes, I feel SGU got it right so far. Action episodes taste better if you have more insight in what's going on their heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,350 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I also found BSG to be fantastic on DVD for the same reason. When you're in the context of one episode its hard to justify carrying on 4 or 5 different story threads; when you get to sitch down in watch 2, or 3 at a time, its a lot easier to follow and appreciate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

herya wrote: »
    I disagree guys, these episodes are needed too. They give you background to understand the motivation of characters, next time you'll see them in action you'll know what they might think and what shapes their decisions. Also they're bound to interact being on this ship all the time - I prefer them to have their likes and don't likes, and not just ignore one another in between the shootings. What Park or Franklin are doing and feeling might resurface later and it won't feel rushed or fake.

See how the chair is introduced and will most likely be played later. In Atlantis they'd discover it, use it and discard it all in one episode (two parter if we're lucky). In SGU it will be a longer story arc, with decisions ho to use it and who will use it, and these decisions will actually have consequences for a change, as opposed to the "gadget of the day" approach.

This show will actually make good DVD viewing - I've seen previous Stargates on DVD and the "one episode, one task" matrix was excruciatingly boring after a while. How many action episodes can you watch in a row - they would benefit from more development or diplomacy oriented episodes, I feel SGU got it right so far. Action episodes taste better if you have more insight in what's going on their heads.

I would completly agree about the charater development however it can be done in a way that can keep the viewer interested. I think they tried to develop too many people in the one ep (Young, The leutenant guy, the gay HR chick) which made it a bit OTT on character development and not enough on general story line & scifi stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭wyrn

I agree with developing the characters but that episode just got boring. I'm sick of the same old characters being used every other week. We'd Young & co this week, next week it'll be Rush, Eli and Chloe.

I'm sick of those characters, I want to see more of the secondary characters and their roles. I don't even know their names (tall guy who's family has never left Kansas, sleeping around lady, scary bald solider, the scientists and lady solider with dark hair.) I want to see more of the cook - it looked like there were leading up to something in the first couple of episodes by featuring him and now.............

Apart from Rush, there isn't any characters that I like. TBH if there was some sort of accident and all the main characters died, who would care?

Next week I'd love to see Chloe fall off the ship. WHY is she there??? Even in last week's episode when they went off world, she went?

Also I was wondering about the clothes too. Was Chloe wearing yoga clothes? If I were one of those scientists I'd be off exploring the ship and away from the military rule.

wyrn wrote: »
    Next week I'd love to see Chloe fall off the ship. WHY is she there??? Even in last week's episode when they went off world, she went?

Also I was wondering about the clothes too. Was Chloe wearing yoga clothes? If I were one of those scientists I'd be off exploring the ship and away from the military rule.

I agree, Chloe is so pointless. She manages to be childish and stuck up at the same time, also she has no purpose on the ship and is not trying to find one (apart from messing with guys heads - Eli is not your lap dog, hands off!), she's just a stranded socialite. There was a moment in the pilot when she deflected her father's embarrassing toast and I thought that she might be groomed to be a smart girl growing out of daddy's shadow, a junior diplomat maybe, but we have none of this now.

Judging by her clothes changes and makeup she must have grabbed her suitcase, or rather someone else grabbed it for her. Hair curlers included.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

No....we NEED Chloe!...for us male nerds, eye candy is essential...besides, she's giving me tips on exercise routines.

Nympho chick....we need to see more!, anf hot lesbo action, in fact...let them get infected with a sexy time virus and all shag!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

I agree, Chloe is so pointless. She manages to be childish and stuck up at the same time, also she has no purpose on the ship and is not trying to find one (apart from messing with guys heads - Eli is not your lap dog, hands off!), she's just a stranded socialite. There was a moment in the pilot when she deflected her father's embarrassing toast and I thought that she might be groomed to be a smart girl growing out of daddy's shadow, a junior diplomat maybe, but we have none of this now.

Judging by her clothes changes and makeup she must have grabbed her suitcase, or rather someone else grabbed it for her. Hair curlers included.

You sound jelus!...Eli is a wuss, if he wants to fawn over her or using him then fair due...girl power!

Actually I find Chloe the least attractive of all the female cast - TJ or Lt James or Wray are much more attractive to me. Dr Park is a fair bit of eye candy too, just not so obvious, and I like her choice in lingerie! Maybe she'll teach Eli a trick or two.

OK Young's wife might be less attractive than Chloe. But she's not on the ship, it doesn't count.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Overall I'm enjoying the series, but this episode was really weak. I'm finding it hard to maintain an interest in the on Earth stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Was I the only one expecting something to come from last week's episode then? So we just have to accept that everything worked out OK, somehow? What an absolute waste that was then, even worse than I thought it was last week.

This weeks was all a bit boring too. They introduce a chair, they have a volunteer to use it but ....... nothing. Not aloud to use it. The whole episode seemed a bit all over the place, like it didn't know where it was going.

If it wasn't for the reset in last week's episode, that would have been what you'd like to see more of, but as it stands, this was two fairly pointless episodes.

No episode next week, because of Thanksgiving, and then 1 more before a break I guess. Better be a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Bajingo

jor el wrote: »
    Was I the only one expecting something to come from last week's episode then? So we just have to accept that everything worked out OK, somehow? What an absolute waste that was then, even worse than I thought it was last week.

This weeks was all a bit boring too. They introduce a chair, they have a volunteer to use it but ....... nothing. Not aloud to use it. The whole episode seemed a bit all over the place, like it didn't know where it was going.

If it wasn't for the reset in last week's episode, that would have been what you'd like to see more of, but as it stands, this was two fairly pointless episodes.

No episode next week, because of Thanksgiving, and then 1 more before a break I guess. Better be a good one.

They did a a webisode to continue from last weeks episode to 'wrap it up'.
    Actually I find Chloe the least attractive of all the female cast - TJ or Lt James or Wray are much more attractive to me. Dr Park is a fair bit of eye candy too, just not so obvious, and I like her choice in lingerie! Maybe she'll teach Eli a trick or two.

OK Young's wife might be less attractive than Chloe. But she's not on the ship, it doesn't count.

No..TJ is close second to Chloe..actually it's not that close to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

thought this epsidoe was a lot stronger than last weeks, im not to much of a fan of earth eps or the stones, but i think the story worked well here, i must say the sooner telford is gone the better, i really really hate him,

interesting to see young nearly loosened his lips when TJ asked him if he wanted to talk, but just as he was about to, he stopped himself, he has a big weakness for TJ, i can see them gettin in on again,

how many men has DR Park slept with so far, its getting to be a bit much 90210,

i dunno if the show is being set up in such a way that rush will be kicked off the ship, he keeps challenging young to use the chair, when its obviously a bad idea, i duuno why people are complainin about them not useing the chair, its a death sentence,

also the hydroponics bay is up and running, so there food issues should be solved by seasons end,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Can somebody confirm something.... two actors from SG1 and SGA in this episode?

The guy with the moustache having sex with the ships bike, was he the guide with O'Neill who got shot in South America trying to find Lee and Jackson?

The guy who was in the room when Young was disconnected from the stones, in SGA was he the second in command on the planet where no one lives past the age of 24 because of ritual suicide?

Stargate love re-hiring actors.

Also.... anyone watching V? Spencer (bald crazy soldier) was in the 3rd episode as one of the Visitors on the mother ship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

don ramo wrote: »
    i duuno why people are complainin about them not useing the chair, its a death sentence,

Rush said that the chair was from an earlier period in humanity, which means that the human mind may not have developed as intensely as the ancient's brains before they left Atlantis. So, our brains could be on an evolutionary level very similar - so the chair may actually be safe afterall.

don ramo wrote: »
    thought this epsidoe was a lot stronger than last weeks, im not to much of a fan of earth eps or the stones, but i think the story worked well here, i must say the sooner telford is gone the better, i really really hate him,

Oh no, he's a good character but I'll be disappointed if this is the end to this triangle story... Telford getting his mug cracked... I expected something more tricky/sinister.
    how many men has DR Park slept with so far, its getting to be a bit much 90210,

Two men - she's on par with Scott at the moment. I wonder what is going to happen when they run out of contraceptives.
    also the hydroponics bay is up and running, so there food issues should be solved by seasons end,

Yes the ship is getting awfully homey...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

jor el wrote: »

*cough*

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

TJ is streets ahead of all the other women on the show.. streets, hundreds of them!!!

Rush said that the chair was from an earlier period in humanity, which means that the human mind may not have developed as intensely as the ancient's brains before they left Atlantis. So, our brains could be on an evolutionary level very similar - so the chair may actually be safe afterall.
    and you believe him,

there are only a handfull of people able to retain the ancient database in its entireity, there may be more able to retain whats in this database,

if its so harmless why have it at all, i mean if its so easy for a human brain to accept that much knowledge, theres no need to have it on the ship in teh first place, everyone would just have the knowledge,

its a death sentence and rush knows it, young told rush hes more than welcome to use the chair himself,

Two men - she's on par with Scott at the moment. I wonder what is going to happen when they run out of contraceptives
    i though she had 2 in this episode, and at least one more in a previous one, as far as i remeber she hasnt slept with anyone twice,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭wyrn

Another thing that bugs me is Eli. Why is he sucking up to Young? I know Rush isn't exactly the most open guy but seriously?

It's almost as if he helps out Young, Young will give him more power and appreciation. What I mean is, there's a huge divide on the ship Military Vs. Science and so far it's Military rule. As this becomes more prominent Rush will be relieved of his duties (perhaps after an accident in the new discovery) so Eli can rush in and 'save the day'. I think Eli is jealous of Rush and thinks he knows more than Rush. I think Rush is hiding alot of info about that ship and for a reason. Eli can't hack the fact that Rush knows more than him. Eli dropped out of college for a reason - could be that he was used to being the most intelligent in high school and couldn't cope with competition from college.

Young and Chloe are using Eli. I really don't like Eli's character - he's so up himself and really annoying. I'm crack if I were stuck on the ship with him and Chloe. No wonder bald solider has issues.

Another thing that bugs me is Eli. Why is he sucking up to Young? I know Rush isn't exactly the most open guy but seriously?

It's almost as if he helps out Young, Young will give him more power and appreciation. What I mean is, there's a huge divide on the ship Military Vs. Science and so far it's Military rule. As this becomes more prominent Rush will be relieved of his duties (perhaps after an accident in the new discovery) so Eli can rush in and 'save the day'. I think Eli is jealous of Rush and thinks he knows more than Rush. I think Rush is hiding alot of info about that ship and for a reason. Eli can't hack the fact that Rush knows more than him. Eli dropped out of college for a reason - could be that he was used to being the most intelligent in high school and couldn't cope with competition from college.

Young and Chloe are using Eli. I really don't like Eli's character - he's so up himself and really annoying. I'm crack if I were stuck on the ship with him and Chloe. No wonder bald solider has issues.

eli dropped out of colledge to take care if his mother as she got sick,

eli is hardly jealous of rush, rush has had years to learn ancient tech, eli has had 3-4 weeks, eli is smart thats undeniable, jealous i doubth it, id say hell learn a lot more about ancient tech by doing what younge tells him, instead of sideing with rush who wont tell him squat, at least younge will grant him access to the system, and hes quiet capable of educating himself,

the chloe eli thing wont happen, eli probably knows that deep down, but its better to have friends than have none, there the least 2 expierienced people there, they have no formal training, first time off world, most of the scientist and military personel, have most likely visited dozens of planets and fought in a good few battles.

of course the military are in command, why wouldnt they, you couldnt let civilains in charge of such a situation, military are trained to survive, you saw some of them jogging around the place, some are totally unfit, there only as strong as there weakest link, and there are some weak links there, baldy is an accident waiting to happen,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Gareth-W-A

I think Eli is jealous of Rush and thinks he knows more than Rush. I think Rush is hiding alot of info about that ship and for a reason. Eli can't hack the fact that Rush knows more than him.

I could not disagree more!
    If anything, Rush seems jealous of Eli, because he cracked the Icarus code when Rush couldn't himself. Eli is just a kid that got swept up in this huge thing, and he's conflicted because he doesn't know whether he should trust Rush or Young, and he's just trying to keep everyone happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement