Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netbook recommendation for programming/web development.

Options
  • 21-11-2009 4:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I want to get a netbook for Christmas but I'm not quite sure which to go for. I currently have a HP dv6000 thats about 2.5 years old that causes me quite a few problems; so I was planning on just taking out its battery and using it more as a desktop, leaving it at home with my graphics tablet, HDD, printer etc. and then get the netbook for college.

All I'll need it for it Java/C++ programming and web development and perhaps some photoshopping and video editing but nothing too heavy. I'm looking at the Eee Pc 1000Ha with XP Home Edition for it's 10.5 hour battery life and 160GB harddrive. I reckon I'll but Kubuntu on it then.
    But I'd love to get some advice on it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

The only thing I hate about netbooks is their combining of keys, like you have to hold down a modifier key to use the arrow keys (or was it pgup/pgdn/home/end?), anyway, I don't think I could stand trying to code on one... I'd be lugging around a full-size keyboard with me... I'd say make sure you have a go on one before you commit.
    Maybe someone can recommend one with a better key layout, but from the ones I've fiddled with in PC World, it seems like a standard enough thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

When I was teaching Java a couple of the students had netbooks and found them difficult to work with. I'd recommend getting something with a bigger screen and keyboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭NeverSayDie

I agree re the size and ergonomics - unless you really need the very small size and light weight, it isn't worth it. Doing development work on something with a keyboard and screen that small is certainly feasible, but not particularly pleasant.

If you do really need portability, I'd recommend the Samsung NC10, very nice little netbook. Don't know about video editing, that might be a stretch, but it certainly runs Visual Studio and the likes just fine. Has a great battery life in particular, and about as good a keyboard as you can find on a netbook.
    http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/laptops/234621/samsung-nc10

Advertisement