Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Argos Camera - Too Cheap?

• 21-11-2009 4:08am

Hey all,

looking for a digital camera on behalf of my sister. She's no expert and it'll probably be used on a daily basis (during daylight mostly) and for very general photo-taking (people, kids, etc.).

Now she obviously doesnt care about the camera, so long as it can do the basics expected by a camera, and I came across this on Argos' website:

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5592719/Trail/searchtext%3ECAMERA.htm

I don't remember ever seeing a digital camera so cheap before, so instead of snapping it up, I'm a little apprehensive of it. Do you guys reckon it'd be OK?

Although I'm no camera expert, one of the details in the description pane is
    • Fixed focus.
    According to a quick Google search, that'd be OK for taking photos of things in the distance (or at least a meter away), but useless for closer shots?

Just wondering if you guys would recommend going with it, or is it worth avoiding? If it's going to be completely useless, I'd rather avoid it obviously, but if it'll get the job done, then for less than €30 I don't think I could complain.

Just curious to see if anyone here would have a better idea of it, or if it'd be suitable for the above named uses?

(Also probably worth noting I don't care if it breaks or if the brand is useless, as Argos are a pushover where returns are concerned anyway)

Thanks again. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

This camera will be rubbish before you take it out of the box. I doubt its much better then the majority of camera's on phones, and probably worse then some phone cameras. I'm sure someone here can recommend a good simple compact for someone on a budget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

I usually check the flickr camera finder and see how bad a photo the camera can take, I didn't see that model on the list, but you might check out their other cameras for a general feel of what they're putting out.
    I doubt its much better then the majority of camera's on phones
    I was thinking that too while looking at some of the vivitar stuff on flickr.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭unseen

Avoid it.
    No optical zoom and only 4megapixels? I bet my 2 year old cell phone can take better photos than this...

Fair enough then lads. Thought it was a little too cheap alright.

Ah sure, I'll continue to mooch around. It just caught my attention on their site, so I thought there'd be no harm in asking about it. Cheers for all the advice, guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

I've had my eye on this,It's pretty cheap on ebay and by all means is a pretty decent camera..

I need something that's small and this is cheap and seem to be quite a good camera,Just throwing it out there :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

anything basic from canon or fuji or any other well known brand should be fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Be cautious buying something like this from Argos, as their exchange policy if you want to change it for a different model is basically "NO".

Seem one poor chap who had spent a considerable sum of money on a camera from an Argos store and wanted to change it for a different model as he wasn't 100% happy with what he wanted from it. He was told no exchange or return and he was quite upset that his money was gone!
    Buying from a local store would allow someone the option to possibly exchange for a different model if the store owner operates such a policy, I know several camera retailers who will do this providing any software etc remains unopened an naturally the item is in perfect condition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,404 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭uprising

As said above, a basic model from Canon etc will be a lot better, I stated in another thread this camera Canon powershot A470 is a great cheap camera, 7 megapixel, here's a deal(CLICK) and here's an image from this camera at less than 1 megapixel (768 x 1024).
    4114046309_2fdf870a2a_b.jpg

EDIT: The video on it is decent quality aswell.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I think that we could have some fun with that Vivitar Camera. :D

Sort like the Laps on Top Gear.

Best photo with our Reasonably Priced Camera.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭KarmaGarda

I'd imagine it takes worse photos than some mobile phone cameras. The main problems I hear about cheap compacts is the resulting photos can either have horrible colour casts on them, or they are very blurred or "leaky". This isn't the case for all, I've heard of some really good cameras that are under €100. But I reckon there aren't many to be found.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

CabanSail wrote: »

That sounds like a genius yet challenging idea. What are the odds of us getting Michael Gambon on it?:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭KarmaGarda

CabanSail wrote: »

Actually yes, this is an excellent idea! How about we do this! If there's enough up for it I'd be willing to drop about 20/30 quid for a laugh! :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Wonder how many cheap Vivitars Argos have?

The ReaPriCam Challenge?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Perhaps the next meet up should have a Vivitar theme - everyone buys that Vivitar and see who can get the best out of it. It would only cost you a little more than purchase & develop of a roll or two of 35mm film (assuming you aren't near to Kate's developing deal ;)) Then you could flog it on eBay for a tenner :D

Have just started a thread in the Photo Challenge Forum.

Reserved my Vivitar V4090.

Advertisement