Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flood risk in the South and East

Options
  • 21-11-2009 4:14am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭

Anything up to 30mm of rain will fall in the next few hours in the Southeast and East. Flooding is likely and river flooding is very likely. Additional falls of rain in the worse hit West and Soutwest will also occur creating further problems there. Those problems will be more widespread this morning. But the rain should clear tomorrow afternoon and I think this will be the last real rain event for the next 4 or 5 days at least. That is not to say further flooding won't occur. Water tables are far too high atm to even rule out a shower causing floods, of which there will be many over the following days.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Met Eireann also warning on the TV forecasts that with the stormy weather this weekend, coastal flooding may also be an issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

latest run is frightening for rainfall,east and south.get more sandbags people.this is the midnight 00z run so will be fairly accurate as it in very reliable timeframe.

ukprec.png

ukprec.png

• Registered Users Posts: 14,517 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I agree in general but it does seem that the rainfall potential for today is more evenly spread across all of Ireland including central and western counties, so that basically any flooding still underway or recently improving, could return to about the same levels as the peaks on Thursday.

The rainfall now moving into the southwest is likely to spread north more than east, and gradually cover the whole country with about 20-30 mms of new rainfalls. Then there could be additional rainfalls of 10-20 mms from showers and more periods of rain in the windy blast to follow. Add to this the fact that strong southerly, later SW to W winds, will tend to raise water levels in estuaries and lower stretches of certain rivers, backing up the flood waters even more, and you could speculate that places like Galway and Cork might be hard hit by further flooding at times this weekend, but central and eastern counties will see problems too.

There is also yet another dose of wind and rain to come on Tuesday.

About the same here, heavy rains, strong winds in places, lightning, even an earthquake up the coast from here. November, who needs it anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,483 ✭✭✭weisses

West gets soaked again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭holly1

I agree in general but it does seem that the rainfall potential for today is more evenly spread across all of Ireland including central and western counties, so that basically any flooding still underway or recently improving, could return to about the same levels as the peaks on Thursday.

The rainfall now moving into the southwest is likely to spread north more than east, and gradually cover the whole country with about 20-30 mms of new rainfalls. Then there could be additional rainfalls of 10-20 mms from showers and more periods of rain in the windy blast to follow. Add to this the fact that strong southerly, later SW to W winds, will tend to raise water levels in estuaries and lower stretches of certain rivers, backing up the flood waters even more, and you could speculate that places like Galway and Cork might be hard hit by further flooding at times this weekend, but central and eastern counties will see problems too.

There is also yet another dose of wind and rain to come on Tuesday.

About the same here, heavy rains, strong winds in places, lightning, even an earthquake up the coast from here. November, who needs it anyway?

Earthquake:eek::eek::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,517 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Not to worry, Holly, I was talking about the similar bad weather in western Canada where I live, and also we had a 6.6 earthquake up the coast near the Queen Charlotte Islands, it shook buildings but did no great damage.

I don't know much about earthquake potential in Ireland, I suppose you can get minor tremors there, and these very large tidal movements on the continental shelf can bring them about too, so I wouldn't be surprised if there were some minor earthquakes or tremors in the next 48 hours. I've never heard of earthquakes doing damage in Ireland like they do in parts of England (the other year I remember some damage being reported near Grimsby.)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

The rain is scary in cork city at the moment. Really heavy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭cgf

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

cgf wrote: »

That radar picture doesn't look good at all...

How do you think Kildare will fair out over the next24hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

holly1 wrote: »
    How do you think Kildare will fair out over the next24hours.
    i'd like to know that too :p

• Registered Users Posts: 18,483 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

http://www.mobilegeographics.com:81/locations/1643.html

2pm is high tide today , looking forward to getting some good pix today of the tide coming over the wall in Sandymount

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

Nerin wrote: »
    i'd like to know that too :p

never mind,its hit here

Nerin wrote: »
    never mind,its hit here

Ditto:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

I tihnk this should be renamed: "Flood risk everywhere" :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww