Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FFF reject replay

• 21-11-2009 10:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/internationals/8370764.stm

No surprise there really. FIFA have rejected the possibility of a replay. The French have rejected it. It was never realistically going to happen. I know it was an injustice but it wasn't the first on that has happened and certainly won't be the last. Hopefully if anything good can come of this it's that the calls for video technology will now be hard to ignore.

We're not going to South Africa. I think it's time to move on.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Oliver1985

They were never gonna give it as much as im gutted the next step is the euros now...Imagine we got france in the group :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Morzadec wrote: »
    We're not going to South Africa. I think it's time to move on.

youre only reaching this conclusion now? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

FF at home, FFF away - those bleedin F's are pure scumbags.

Time to look forward to Euro2012, karma will get Henry next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

gambiaman wrote: »
    karma will get Henry next year.

yeh it probably wont though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

Great, now lets get on with life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭johnp

Oliver1985 wrote: »
    They were never gonna give it as much as im gutted the next step is the euros now...Imagine we got france in the group :eek:

Fingers crossed :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

johnp wrote: »
    Fingers crossed :D
    Fingers crossed indeed. A team that plays as poorly as they did over 3 halves of football is always welcome (2 of those in Paris).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Helix wrote: »
    youre only reaching this conclusion now? :confused:

Not at all no (hence me stating it was never going to be a realistic possibility). I'm merely suggesting/encouraging that people accept what has happened and that a petition/protest/whatever else they want to do is going to serve no practical purpose, with the FFF's rejection of a replay as further evidence of this and the final nail in the coffin of any hopes (however deluded they may have been) of any possibility of a replay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

What i heard last night is that France will probably play us in a few friendlies at new stadium in next few years as a way of recompense (would attract a big crowd). Assume Henry wont be in squad for the first one anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

What i heard last night is that France will probably play us in a few friendlies at new stadium in next few years as a way of recompense (would attract a big crowd). Assume Henry wont be in squad for the first one anyway.

Well, they can fcuk right off.

Its over, they're in SA nxt year but they will be haunted by the cheating.
    Nice moniker for a nation .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

and Dunne is the biggest eejit ever for consoling with Henry

wtf

In fact if I was in charge of the team I would have fcuked right off the pitch at the half time of et.

quite obvious the game was lost, unfairly. maybe if them ****** officials had more time or realised the gravity of the situation something would have happened.

Ireland were far too lenient and rushed back to play far too soon.

Ac Milan stopped playing Marseille yonks ago when the power went out in a CL game, or whatever it was called with waddle was playing.

Imagine if that incident happened to Spain, I dont think they would have rushed back to kick off so soon

anyway, France are woeful and that manager

is just epic lol

he makes phil brown look good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

gambiaman wrote: »
    Well, they can fcuk right off.

Its over, they're in SA nxt year but they will be haunted by the cheating.
    Nice moniker for a nation .

yup...indeed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

There was more chance of McShane getting World Player Of The Year than the FFF agreeing to a replay. I particularly like the way Henry waited to make sure that FIFA and the FFF were in agreement before coming out and saying a replay would be the fairest result! Twát.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Good to have the Premiership back. This week has left me a bit depressed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Well The Sindo are reporting that it was Domenech who blocked the replay. This considering he is to personally gain around €862,000 from qualifying is not surprising really.
    Domenech blocked replay

By Dion Fanning

Sunday November 22 2009

Raymond Domenech was the sole obstacle to Ireland's game against France being replayed, the Sunday Independent has learned.

Domenech refused to allow the French Football Federation to agree to a replay of France's game against Ireland despite the overwhelming backing of the French squad, the French public and key figures within the federation.

The FAI yesterday conceded that there was no chance of a replay following the statement from the FFF on Friday night. Yet it has emerged that the French were close to agreeing but Domenech, who would have been fired if France had been eliminated last Wednesday, insisted there should be no second chance for Ireland.

During several discussions on Friday, Domenech would not back down despite the increased pressure following the statements from Thierry Henry and Arsene Wenger, who both called for the game to take place again, probably on Wednesday week.

The French public were overwhelming in favour of the game being replayed but the views of the French squad were even more influential and on Thursday night and Friday morning the feeling grew within the team that the game should be replayed.

If Domenech had relented, the FFF would have agreed to the Irish request and the FAI had been privately assured that FIFA would have allowed the game to take place and, in fact, they would have welcomed the chance to demonstrate that their commitment to fair play and integrity was more than just rhetoric.

"We regret that despite our best efforts for a replay, which would have restored the integrity of the game in front of a world-wide audience, our calls appear to have fallen on deaf ears at the French Football Federation," said chief executive, John Delaney.

But Domenech -- once seen as Ireland's best chance -- was the chief obstacle. The players are understood to have been confident they could beat Ireland in a replay and remove the sense they had qualified unfairly for next summer's tournament.

Domenech saw it differently, however, holding privately to his public view that there was no need to commit "hara-kiri" and allow a replay.

The FAI believed that the game would have attraction a global audience and influential figures in FIFA also held this view, seeing it as a way to restore the reputation of the game. Yet they could not act unless the FFF agreed as FIFA would not overturn a decision -- or non-decision -- made by a referee.

"The credibility of fair-play has been damaged by this incident in front of a world-wide audience," said Delaney, who sits on the UEFA disciplinary committee, added. "Despite our deep disappointment, we thank our players, the wonderful Irish fans and the Irish public at large for their support as well as the solidarity of the French people. We will continue to call on FIFA to take action to ensure that such damaging examples of cheating are not allowed to recur."

Ireland's manager Giovanni Trapattoni, who had said it was "impossible" that the FAI would agree to a replay, accused FIFA of "treachery" on Friday, adding that the double handball by Henry was "murder". Most contentiously, Trapattoni claimed that the fourth official had informed referee Martin Hansson of the handball.

"Even a blind man would have seen the double handball. The linesman was on line as the images show and he had perfect vision. I am certain that Mr Hansson was in contact with the fourth official and to those who were looking at the images in slow motion.

"Why, when he understood that he had made a mistake, did he not change his mind?"

In the end, it appears that it was Domenech's refusal to change his that denied Ireland a replay.

Original Article

Either way the French are bunched now. If they win the tournament it will be seen as a tainted victory based on a foundation of cheating. If they don't do well they will be seen as the selfish team who took the place of a team that had more of a collective desire to win.

At the end of the day filthy lucre is the sole motivation here and it appears it is one mans greed that has acted as the coup de grace of the Irish hopes for South Africa 2010.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

and Dunne is the biggest eejit ever for consoling with Henry

wtf

In fact if I was in charge of the team I would have fcuked right off the pitch at the half time of et.

quite obvious the game was lost, unfairly. maybe if them ****** officials had more time or realised the gravity of the situation something would have happened.

Ireland were far too lenient and rushed back to play far too soon.

Ac Milan stopped playing Marseille yonks ago when the power went out in a CL game, or whatever it was called with waddle was playing.

Imagine if that incident happened to Spain, I dont think they would have rushed back to kick off so soon

anyway, France are woeful and that manager

is just epic lol

he makes phil brown look good

*exhales*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Good to have the Premiership back. This week has left me a bit depressed

I think I'm off football for a while yet after that

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

gandalf wrote: »
    Well The Sindo are reporting that it was Domenech who blocked the replay. This considering he is to personally gain around €862,000 from qualifying is not surprising really.

Original Article

Either way the French are bunched now. If they win the tournament it will be seen as a tainted victory based on a foundation of cheating. If they don't do well they will be seen as the selfish team who took the place of a team that had more of a collective desire to win.

At the end of the day filthy lucre is the sole motivation here and it appears it is one mans greed that has acted as the coup de grace of the Irish hopes for South Africa 2010.

Only in Ireland will it be seen as tainted, do people view Argentinas world cup win as tainted?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I'm married to a French woman and an awful lot of the French see the victory as tainted.

Advertisement