Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broken wine bottle cut hand

Options
  • 21-11-2009 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Bought a bottle of wine in dunnes last night. As i was opening it the neck broke in my hand and gave me a nasty cut. I kept the bottle and wine with the corkscrew still in the broken neck. Any one any experience of dunnes customer service with similiar issue

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Can't see how it's dunnes fault,unless it was already broken when you bought it, which I doubt....

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

OP what do you want? a replacement? refund? compo?

Best to state your intentions early on.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 JayTi

You are probably right. I presume they will replace the bottle and check the batch for faults. I have been in the bar/ restaurant trade all my life so I know how to correctly open a bottle - it just could have been a very bad cut and could easily happen to someone else

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Cant see how its dunnes problem tbh, it could easily have been damaged on the way home.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

TBH, I can't see how Dunnes have responsibility in this. You could inform them anyway on the chance that they would inspect other bottles for the same defect.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Maybe the batch of wine bottles are defective.
    Go to Dunnes customer service and they will log it with management who go to the importer who will go the producer and manufacturer.
    With millions of bottles produced a year it's not surprising the odd batch isn't perfect or at least adequate.

If you talk to a manager in Dunnes you'll probably get a refund but no more then that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Happened me once with a bottle of wine I bought from Lidl, I just put it down to cheap wine bottle's been used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Was it an established brand or a never-heard-of-it brand shipped in from somewhere?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭746watts

mikemac wrote: »
    Maybe the batch of wine bottles are defective.

Correct!
    I worked in an alcohol product bottling factory many years ago and we has serious problems with batches of bottles going through the capping machine........ the very top of the bottle was chipping glass which fell into the liquid. The bottle manufacturer was called in and after tests were done and an audit of the manufacturers premisies, it turned out several batches of bottles were fired at too hot a temperature and became brittle, the paperwork wasn't filled in correctly but automated temperature printouts told the true story.
    So it's possible a bad batch of bottles were made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

If it's a bad batch you are doing everyone a favour by reporting it.
    Even the manufacturer will thank you as they can see if they missed a batch.

Go to Dunnes customer service and take it from there

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I worked in a bar years ago- and we were always warned not to try to squeeze extra bottles of wine or beer into the fridges, as they were prone to shatter. I never had any problems with wine bottles, but I did have lots of beer bottles break on me.

Firing the bottles at too high a termperature sounds like a plausible reason for the glass being more brittle.

One thing I will say, though, if you're bringing it back to Dunnes, ask for the manager over the wines/beers/whatever. If you talk to the manager of the bread (dunnes usually have a few different managers for different areas of the store) then its likely he'll humor you, but wont actually care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Colin_M

Hi JayTi,

The bottle of wine wasn’t of merchantable quality (must be of an acceptable standard) so you are definitely entitled to a replacement or a refund.

Maybe I am completely wrong but people are saying it isn't Dunnes fault. They were the ones who sold the bottle of wine so they have to take responsibility for what they sold.

I would be writing a letter to the manufacturer too, especially if the cut is that bad. You will be able to find out relevant info here - http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/Hot_Topics/Guides-to-Consumer-Law/Shopping/intro.html

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Colin_M wrote: »
    Hi JayTi,

The bottle of wine wasn’t of merchantable quality (must be of an acceptable standard) so you are definitely entitled to a replacement or a refund.

Maybe I am completely wrong but people are saying it isn't Dunnes fault. They were the ones who sold the bottle of wine so they have to take responsibility for what they sold.
    How are Dunnes or any retailer supposed to know how the OP handled the bottle when loading it onto a trolley, then into their bag, then into their car or for their walk home. There are too many variables with handling and storage for it to be straight Dunnes fault. If I buy a bottle of wine and smack it into the table before I open it and it breaks is Dunnes at fault?
    I would be writing a letter to the manufacturer too, especially if the cut is that bad. You will be able to find out relevant info here - http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/Hot_Topics/Guides-to-Consumer-Law/Shopping/intro.html

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Definitely do that do to inform them they may have a bad batch of bottles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭J_Wholesale

mikemac wrote: »
    If it's a bad batch you are doing everyone a favour by reporting it.
    Even the manufacturer will thank you as they can see if they missed a batch.

That's assuming they take what you tell them and actually do something about it. It's just as likely (or even more likely), that the person you speak to will listen to you, apologise, refund you, write it up (maybe), and do nothing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

Write an angry letter to the manufacturer, cc Dunnes, telling them of the injury suffered, the emotional trauma and shock you suffered, tell them how you dont want to take legal action and that you really dont want to 'talk to Joe' and that a few crates of Sancerre, Cloudy Bay, Amarone, Dom and perhaps a 20 year old Jameson may get you over the trauma.

Oh yes, a lovely christmas, indeed.:D

On a more serious note, the manufacturers are clearly at fault assuming you or Dunnes didnt mishandle/damage the product en route. Dunnes would be liable if they should have spotted a defect, but in alll likelihood, where a bottle simply breaks in this unusual manner, it is a manufacturing fault until proved otherwise. But, lets be honest, taking legal proceedings over a cut hand is a waste of everyones time and money. Try the angry letter, seriously, it might work if it's written well.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,078 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

drkpower wrote: »
    over a cut hand is a waste of everyones time and money. Try the angry letter, seriously, it might work if it's written well.

Even better if it's got drops of blood all over it.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

If something isn't of merchantable quality, the book stops with the seller. No one's trying to blame Dunnes themselves for the dodgy bottle but assuming the OP is honest, Dunnes would have to accept the cost of replacing it or else pass the blame on to the Manufacturer themselves. The best person to talk to would be the Off license Manager or whoever else looks after the stock there.

Assuming the manager isn't a gob****e, they should be able to make a good [strike]stab[/strike] guess at the veracity of the story. It would be difficult to weaken glass en route to it being opened by a corkscrew.

To the people who are saying it's not Dunnes fault, you're probably right. But that doesn't mean they have no obligation to refund/replace the product if it can be fairly determined that it was not of merchantable quality.

OP, I hope the hand didn't prove to be painful too much or that the wine bottle was expensive.

If something isn't of merchantable quality, the book stops with the seller.

To replace or refund, yes.
    For any injury/loss caused, its the manufacturer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Heh. That slipped my mind. But the compensation for injury thing would be far beyond just the Sale of goods and supply of services Act '78.

• Advertisement

Heh. That slipped my mind. But the compensation for injury thing would be far beyond just the Sale of goods and supply of services Act '78.

Yep, either common law negligence or defective product acts 91.

Advertisement