Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Debenhams cards - I think I want out!!

Options
  • 21-11-2009 11:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭

during the summer i was approached in debenahms and wa asked did i want to sign up for a debenhams card, which i thouht was a loyalty card.

ive had it for 4 months now and have used it once.

i purchased a dress, and got a discount off, but when my bill wasnt paid they charged me extra etc on the bill - fair enough.

eventually i got up to newry and paid off in cash at the check out. (i dont have a laser etc..)

now this is my pickle : i was told yesterday that apparently EVEN WHEN YOU DONT USE YOUR CARD, and when you've NOTHING on it aka no money owed to Debenhams, that you are STILL charged !!!!

Is this true???

If so I want to break my contract with them - hopefully i can o this somehow.

The staff arent usually helpful regarding the cards etc- I asked a lady about them last time i went to pay my bill, and he direected me to the free telephone . And when using that, you only get to speak to a computed voice!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Did you not read the terms and conditions before signing up for the card?

http://finance.debenhams.com/credit-store-cards-overview/

You basically signed up for a credit card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭aloevera

i know that. now. unfortunately that day i was rushing back for a funeral, and was rushing about trying to get everything done asap.. argh!!

When you say 'still charged' are you talking about government duty? Yes you are charged €40 pa for having a credit card account regardless of whether you use it or not. I'm sure you can get out of it by simply closing the account and canceling the card. You will need to do this in writing and keep a record of your dealings with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

You say you were still charged.

Charged for what?

Interest?

Late fees?

Government stamp duty?

What exactly....

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Stuff and things like that.

I can't understand how someone in a hurry stops to sign up to a card..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

parsi wrote: »
    Stuff and things like that.

I can't understand how someone in a hurry stops to sign up to a card..

Have to agree. If in a rush, you can always say no and come back later.

I'd say that you would have a combination of charges - interest, later fees and also the annual govt charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Given that the Debenhams card is a financr product (credit facility), I'm going to move this to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 24,069 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

There shouldn't be government duty on an "in-house" storecard, so I can't see that anything can be charged on a card with a nil balance.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    There shouldn't be government duty on an "in-house" storecard, so I can't see that anything can be charged on a card with a nil balance.

It's not an inhouse store card, it's a mastercard branded with the debenhams logo....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

What you need to do is ring the issuer of the card and tell them you want to cancel the card. Im not sure who it is but check on the card and there should be a number on the back.

Do MBNA issue this card?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Debenhams offer 2 different cards, an in store credit card and a normal credit card, this should have been explained when it was opened so you'll get charged the Govt charge for the credit card per annum.

You can also pay in a post office or online you dont have to go in store to do it. Think cancelling out requires lots of hoop jumping so be prepared for that.

It's also worth noting that if you use your card to avail of discount, you can clear the balance straight away with cash or laser to save you getting screwed on APR.

MASK- Santander are the credit providers.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Paige Turner

Hi, hopefully I can help you a little and put your mind at ease as I work part-time for Debenhams and am trained in opening and managing accounts.

Debenhams offer two types of cards: 1) Debenhams store card 2) Debenhams Credit card

Store Card

The store card is basically an in-store credit card. However, there is no government duty on it.
    The only time you will ever be charged any extra is if there is money outstanding on your account which has now occurred interest.
    If you do not use your card or do not owe any money on your card, you will not be charged any fee's or hidden charges.
    If any outstanding money is due on the account you will be contacted by santander cards (lending provider).

Credit Card

The credit card is the same as any other credit card. Government duty is payable on this card. Apart from this, there is no other charges to the card if you pay your bill on time or have not used the card.

Paying the Card

The card can be payed:
    1) In any debenhams store at any cashpoint
    2) By Bill-pay in the post office
    3) By laser card over the phone

Cancelling the Card

To close the card, contact Satander Cards Ltd. Common practice is to cut the card in two and return it to the lending provider.

Unfortunaltey, all staff are put under severe pressure when it comes to opening cards and many are not providing customer with all the correct information. If you feel you need more information at any time, call in store, or if you feel you are getting nowhere that way feel free to PM me and i will help you as best I can. :)

So don't panick, if you owe nothing on your store card there will be no other charges. If it is a Debenhams Credit Card, you will be liabe to the Government fee which will be included in your first statement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 annemoloney

Hi Paige,

I hold a Debenhams Store card and would like to cancel it. Dont want to go through the hassle with Santander.

Where do I send this card to ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Hi Paige,

I hold a Debenhams Store card and would like to cancel it. Dont want to go through the hassle with Santander.

Where do I send this card to ?

Don't send the card anywhere!!!!

Send a registered letter to the address on the back of the card, or the one on the bills, give all your details, the top of the bill is the handist thing to staple to your letter. You'll be charged the 40 gov tax, so bring the bill for this to the store and pay it and then keep the registered letter receipt and the receipt from the store.......just in case.

You can then cut up the card and bin it.

Advertisement