Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I upgrade with these line stats

• 21-11-2009 12:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭

Could I upgrade my eircom line to the 7mb package with these line stats?
    Would I be anyway close to getting the 7mb?
    I saw a calculator that said about 4mb so not really worth my while.
    Also, are eircom using adsl2 or adsl2+ for only the top package or all at, because my router will only connect in G.DMT mode.

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream

Connection Speed 3072 kbps 384 kbps

Line Attenuation 55.0 db 30.5 db

Noise Margin 12.2 db 13.0 db

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

ShevY wrote: »
    Also, are eircom using adsl2 or adsl2+

No. There is limited ADSL2+ for business customers only.

55dB is fairly bad, and you're probably lucky to have 3Mbps on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I expect you would sustain 4 mbps with no real issues (rare at most), especially with a decent modem. Nothing more. Anything beyond that would be through a nice bit of luck. And your ping times will increase a bit if you do upgrade. Is it worth it? Higher cost and a higher possibility of disconnects for the up to 33% speed boost.

Another thing, do eircom not offer a 7.6mbps package anymore? I can only see the 7168/384 package being sold, not the 7616kbps download speed with the higher upload.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

don't want to hijack this thread but I'm considering moving to a 24MB Adsl2+ package.

here are my standard adsl stats :

Line Mode G.DMT Line State Show Time
    Latency Type Interleave Line Up Time 02:15:51:37
    Line Coding Trellis On Line Up Count 1

Statistics Downstream Upstream
    Line Rate 4896 Kbps 544 Kbps
    Noise Margin 6.7 dB 6.0 dB
    Line Attenuation 36.0 dB 31.5 dB
    Output Power 11.9 dBm 19.7 dBm

should I be ok ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

zod wrote: »
    don't want to hijack this thread but I'm considering moving to a 24MB Adsl2+ package.

here are my standard adsl stats :

Line Mode G.DMT Line State Show Time
    Latency Type Interleave Line Up Time 02:15:51:37
    Line Coding Trellis On Line Up Count 1

Statistics Downstream Upstream
    Line Rate 4896 Kbps 544 Kbps
    Noise Margin 6.7 dB 6.0 dB
    Line Attenuation 36.0 dB 31.5 dB
    Output Power 11.9 dBm 19.7 dBm

should I be ok ?

Check your internal setup/router (remove filters, phones, alarms, skybox) and get the stats again. You have a line issue most likely on your side, currently and until you get this sorted you are already at your maximum speed (4,896 kbps) but your line should be capable of more.

Something (probably a filter or a phone or some sort of equipment connected to the phone) is creating a false reading so the stats you see are not the real stats, there are other things that could be causing this but most of the times is internal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Bohrio wrote: »
    Check your internal setup/router (remove filters, phones, alarms, skybox) and get the stats again. You have a line issue most likely on your side, currently and until you get this sorted you are already at your maximum speed (4,896 kbps) but your line should be capable of more.

Something (probably a filter or a phone or some sort of equipment connected to the phone) is creating a false reading so the stats you see are not the real stats, there are other things that could be causing this but most of the times is internal.
    Yeah I'm thinking along the same lines. Those attenuation readings are hard to believe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭stoofer

I recently upgraded my eircom broadband package from 1mb to 3 mb.
    These are the DSL stats from my router:

Max Allowed Speed (kbps)..... 2048 256
    SN Margin (dB)....................9.50 17.00
    Line Attenuation (dB)...........56.50 31.50
    CRC Errors..............................5 5

I'm roughly 3-4km from the exchange in a rural area and I understand eircom state it is up to 3 mb/s.
    Is the max allowed speed set in stone? (i.e. it generally won't fluctuate higher or lower)
    Would eircom have capped it at 2048 kbps to prevent errors in the data over the line?
    Just would like to be somewhat informed before I enquire with eircom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Simi

I generally use this calc to answer these type of questions http://www2.farina1.com/adsl/

If you enter you line stats in the boxes provided you'll find that you are indeed connecting at the max rate your line can support.
    You can try to improve your speeds by cleaning up the connection once it reaches you through the use of filters, connecting the modem to the main phone point etc.
    But at 3-4km thats probably the best you can expect.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Stoofer

eircom may have profiled it at 2mbits which is techspeak for set in stone. Better stable 2mbits than unstable 2.5mbits anyway.

The 56db and the 9db margin would seem to indicate that it is maxed out bar a few 100k on top. Full 3mbits, nahh.

Your line should be better at that distance though. Watch those stats when the dry spell hits over the next week and post after a few cold drying days.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭stoofer

Thanks for the helpful replies and the useful link, I suspected as much. The connection has always been pretty stable which is the main thing.

Advertisement