Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Waterway, Sallins

Options
  • 21-11-2009 12:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I have heard from a number of people that The Waterways in Sallins is going downhill fast. Does anyone have any view on it?

I viewed a couple of the apartment previously, with a view of buy to let, and I honestly thought they had to be some of the poorest finished apartments blocks I have ever seen. I would feel extremely sorry for anyone who has bought a unit in the development as it is starting to become a rough rundown estate with a huge number of deserted commercial units and an unoccupied hotel! On the plus side Supervalu seems to be doing well whenever I have wandered in. I got an awful feeling though when I went into the chemist beside that the proprietor was a bit of a knob! The shop was full of "you break it you pay for it" signs! Some way to entice customers into a shop :D

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 14 howisitgoing

was in the waterways this morning its looking a bit rough but have to staff and management in supervalu top class

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Friend of mine works for Sherry Fitz. Went to her with an idea about buying there. She put me off. Nearly the whole place is rented, people aren't paying their maintinance charges, and place is kinda neglected. And rats outside. From the canal and the meat factory that used to be in Sallins.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭dublinhead

Just seen this place on the news it was flooded out of it.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/1129/weather.html

4144505906_5dfc9767d6.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭DO'Carlo/Wex

My knowledge of area hazy enough but would've alighted there from train station & know where SV is.
    But where in relation to TS is Waterways in Sallins?
    I'd know village slightly.
    Used work up road in Celbridge Direction; hence train used.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

SuperValu is in The Waterways - the picture above shows some of the properties to the rear of SuperValu

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭handsomecake

i used to live there.thank god i got out in time!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

As of last night it was still badly flooded. The Fire Brigade were running long lengths of hose in an effort to pump the water into the canal. Quite a spectacle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭BOOKWORM.1

beertons wrote: »
    Friend of mine works for Sherry Fitz. Went to her with an idea about buying there. She put me off. Nearly the whole place is rented, people aren't paying their maintinance charges, and place is kinda neglected. And rats outside. From the canal and the meat factory that used to be in Sallins.

That's interesting. Some of the tenants (I think) were on the Frontline with Pat Kenny last night. It sounded to me like they were blaming the management company because they weren't answering their calls (or maybe I picked it up wrong).

Obviously if they haven't been paying their maintenance fee the management company aren't going to answer their calls.

Anyone who didn't buy property in this place got a lucky escape.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Nasty_Girl

Maybe some people were paying the management company and some weren't.

I think the ladies on frontline last night said that there had been ongoing problems with the drainage issues and they'd been onto the management company about it many times.

They also said that their neighbours informed them that area used to be called the swamp!!

I wonder how many more of these shoddy developments there are around the country, they should all be knocked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭BOOKWORM.1

Definitely and it wouldn't suprise me if it happened in the next year or so. Most of the buildings around the country that were built in a mad rush by money hungry developers; you can guarantee will be certified condemned - not heated properly, roofs coming off apartments in storms, not big enough, dampness, subject to flooding you name it.

Wonder what Europe has to say about all this.

• Advertisement

Never heard the area referred to as the/a swamp before..

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭dublinhead

It was a pitch and putt course before it got developed, prone to flooding.
    http://www.kfmradio.com/kfm-radio/local-news/kcc-slamed-over-sallins-planning-permision.html

• Registered Users Posts: 30 fingal raven

DWCommuter wrote: »
    As of last night it was still badly flooded. The Fire Brigade were running long lengths of hose in an effort to pump the water into the canal. Quite a spectacle.

It was actually volunteer fire crews from Dublin Civil Defence that were there last night. They worked there on Sunday along with Kildare and Laois Civil Defence and were keen to go back and help if they could. Every available pump in Dublin Civil Defence went to Sallins last night, however we only succeeded in reducing the water by about 10" but we tried. Hopefully the hard work that the Council were doing on the culvert will be finished today and finally drain the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

On the 'morning show' on TV3 now, still under a few foot of water. They had an insurance asseser on.. reckons each house will cost 150-200k to restore :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭handsomecake

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Never heard the area referred to as the/a swamp before..
    i have.it was a pitch and putt corse and WAS ALWAYS closed due to flooding/waterlogging

• Registered Users Posts: 9 annoymos

People in the Waterways are paying their maintanence fees. The problem is that the management company was using it to pay for what they could. Even up till 6 weeks ago there was one person to pick up the bins but that stopped. It's because so many of the commerical units never got rented or sold that the management company can't afford to look after the place.

And in all fairness I lived here about 3 months ago. I was renting myself in one of the duplexes on top so my things would have been fine. Only reason I moved was cause the landlord wanted to move back in. I also work here at the back of Super Valu where the water had reached and luckily the sandbags kept the water out. Even before the water that had flooded the houses had reached the front door, the water coming out of the drains was speeding up the process rapidly. To get to work I'd have needed a canoe to sail to and from the front of my house to the office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 kellyjones

Yes I saw the programme with Pat Kenny on Monday night and the two residents, especially the one at the beginning, were very vocal. I would presume that both those individuals have paid their management fee's, otherwise they would not be so vocal???????!

It seems that the houses and duplexes at the back of the estate has suffered most as they are very low-lying in comparison to the rest of the estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 annoymos

kellyjones wrote: »
    Yes I saw the programme with Pat Kenny on Monday night and the two residents, especially the one at the beginning, were very vocal. I would presume that both those individuals have paid their management fee's, otherwise they would not be so vocal???????!

It seems that the houses and duplexes at the back of the estate has suffered most as they are very low-lying in comparison to the rest of the estate.

The houses at the very back are quite low lying in comparison with the business square called Station House which is slightly raised. However the reason the water spread so fast was because the water that had entered the houses at the back had also filled the drains throughout the complex. This meant that water was entering your house from the drains overflowing outside before the main water flooding from the liffey had even arrived.

The water was coming in so fast it was a metre in height within about 45 mins to an hour. Even with the fire brigade pumping it out the water still rose by 7 inches. It took 6 hours for more sandbags to arrive from the army after the first batch at 4:30pm and they only had a handful. Civil Defence once they arrived couldn't do anything but evacuate. There was no barriers to try and stop the water reaching homes and even the water made about 8 businesses close for the few days until the water was pumped out on Tues.

The duplexes on top were fine as far as water damage but all the people in the ground floor apartments and people renting or owning houses were destroyed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 BernieG

For any of you interested and who may have been effected by the flooding in The Waterways, a demonstration will take place all day tomorrow in Naas, outside the county councils offices on the Newbridge rd. to combat the corruption and discrimination in Kildares planning department. If you want to be heard, now's your chance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Mick K

Excellent,About time somebody stands up to KCC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

Anyone know how the demonstration is going?

Would anybody think of suing the developer that built these apartments, since they were on a well known flood plain and not adequately protected?

Can you find the Waterways apartments on this website? Is it recorded as a flood area?
    http://www.floodmaps.ie/View/Default.aspx

Demonstration on Friday outside the council offices went well. I showed my support. I think if justice isn't saught a lot of people will be shaking in their boots as the issue of 'the big brown envelopes' being passed under the table will be coming to light!! If it caused Bertie to step down then why not the corrupt among our KCC planners!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Darby OGill

What evidence have you of brown envelopes being passed to corrupt planners in KCC?

Indeed..Bernie G, the internet doesn't mean you can make groundless allegations: feel free to post up some proof, preferably quite soon.

What evidence have you of brown envelopes being passed to corrupt planners in KCC?

Evidence...hummm. I don't suppose someone would put a cheque into a 'brown envelope' however if they said they didn't meet the criteria for planning but got it none the less only because they offered a council worker a ' little extra' to submit their plans - then I think I for one would feel this was unjust. ..... Wouldn't you?

So basically, you've got nothing? Apart from some speculation and an opinion, which like a certain part of the anatomy, is something everyone has.

Indeed indeed.... but I'm almost afraid to form an opinion on a local court case I recently read where council worker Mr X stood up and denied that local resident Mr Y handed him Eur700 cash to help secure a planning application which was in the end was declined. But as the saying goes, you just can't believe everything you read in the newspapers!

Well then, refrain from doing it in future. The internet doesn't mean you can post up anything you so feel like without proof :)

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Well then, refrain from doing it in future. The internet doesn't mean you can post up anything you so feel like without proof :)

Tut tut tut... when it comes to our planning laws all you have to do is open your eyes and take a look around the country or speak to the residence of the Wayerways !There is 'plenty' of proof, for those who 'want' to see it. But surely even you know we live in a democracy and everyone is entitled to an opinion even over the internet :rolleyes:. You sound quite bitter. I'mnot at all politically involved but by the sounds of things I would guess you are a FF type of guy :D !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Darby OGill

What evidence do the residents of The Waterways have of KCC planning corruption? I certainly would like to see it.

Advertisement