Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BreatheRight (The Apprentice)

Options
  • 21-11-2009 1:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭

the exact product featured on The Apprentice last week. Helps with breathing in sporting activities / prevent snoring.

So while shopping in Sainsbury's in Newry this week I pick a box up for £3.86 (approx €4.25)

In Boots last night in ROI (near the border) and the exact same product was €9.99 :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭kippy

In_tuition wrote: »
    the exact product featured on The Apprentice last week. Helps with breathing in sporting activities / prevent snoring.

So while shopping in Sainsbury's in Newry this week I pick a box up for £3.86 (approx €4.25)

In Boots last night in ROI (near the border) and the exact same product was €9.99 :eek:
    Yeah,
    perhaps advertising the cost to the resellers on the apprentice wasnt the best idea.
    Am sure boots are getting them a lot cheaper than they were selling them to gyms pharmacies etc on the show as well.
    Pretty high markup alright, you'd hope that people avoid buying them at that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭the_barfly1

In_tuition wrote: »

Thats a big difference. Iirc the contestants on the apprentice were selling a case of ten boxes for €45 or so, which would make cost price on a box €4.50 plus VAT @ 21.5% = €5.47 cost to retailer who may want to make a margin of 35% or so, so realistically the cost over the counter in ROI, assuming that the costs on tv were correct should be about €8-8.50 per box.
    A bit shocking that they're on sale up north for less than the cost price here. Sainsburys must be buying for about £2 a box or less!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

A lot of OTC medicines are priced up here for no aparent reason.
    Flixonase is a prime example.

€13.50 for 60 spray bottle here
    £6.50 for 60 spray bottle in UK
    €10 for 120 spray bottle in New Zealand including airmail delivery! (free with 6 bottles)

But its not the retailer making the money its Glaxo Smithkline!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭kippy

mcaul wrote: »
    A lot of OTC medicines are priced up here for no aparent reason.
    Flixonase is a prime example.

€13.50 for 60 spray bottle here
    £6.50 for 60 spray bottle in UK
    €10 for 120 spray bottle in New Zealand including airmail delivery! (free with 6 bottles)

But its not the retailer making the money its Glaxo Smithkline!
    To be honest I believe it is the retailer that is making the big money....
    As you seen in the apprentice the manufacturer is selling for a roundabouts the same price too all retailers, they they add the markup.
    I know there are different pricing options etc but to me it looks like the retailers are the ones making the massive markup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

kippy wrote: »
    To be honest I believe it is the retailer that is making the big money....
    As you seen in the apprentice the manufacturer is selling for a roundabouts the same price too all retailers, they they add the markup.
    I know there are different pricing options etc but to me it looks like the retailers are the ones making the massive markup

On the apprentice the price for 6 boxes to the retailer was about €34.
    the recommended retail price was €9.99

However the cost price is excluding vat and the retail price is Including vat.

The retailers net retail price is €8.22
    The retailers net cost price is €5.66

When you add up the cost of retailing this is about normal and is the same level of mark-up operated in virtually every other country in the world. The difference is the cost to the retailer of the product. - and this is controlled by the manufacturer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement