Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Software Problem

Options
  • 21-11-2009 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭

I have a game on my PC but I've lost the CD that I installed it with, no problem because you don't need it to play the game.

However I want to reformat my computer as it's needs a refresh. Is there anyway of transferring the game from the c: program files/directory onto a cd/dvd so I could re-install later on the reformatted hard drive?

Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Farcear

djb85 wrote: »
    I have a game on my PC but I've lost the CD that I installed it with, no problem because you don't need it to play the game.

However I want to reformat my computer as it's needs a refresh. Is there anyway of transferring the game from the c: program files/directory onto a cd/dvd so I could re-install later on the reformatted hard drive?

Thanks for the help.

It depends on what game you are talking about but my guess is that it won't work.

Most games also install various files into the system registry and these will not get copied if you simply copy the program files folder. When you try to start the game, it will give you an error or ask you to reinstall it.

If you own the game legally, your best bet is probably to find a copy of the CD on a file-sharing network.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 shiyunhe

djb85 wrote: »

Thanks for the help.
    It is really depends. If the game installs everything into one directory and its sub-directories. Copying the directory is most likely going to work. If not, it is most likely not going to work.

Advertisement