Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Tyres for Toyota Auris

• 21-11-2009 2:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭

I need a set of new tyres for my car.
    Just wondering where the value is in the City at the moment ?
    Also what type of tyres i should get.
    As far as i know,Continentals are the best,but pricy.
    Any recommendations welcome.
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭anon11

Try ringing Martin Barretts in waterford there now doing tyres

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

Tyers are what give your car grip to the road,so you owe it to yourself your passengers and most of all other roaduser's to put a quailty tyre on you car,plus puncture's are greatly reduced.
    Tom Gerraty Gratten Quay carries a large range of quailty tyre's.
    Prices are excellent.Check him out.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

Tom Geraghty on the quay, dont waste your time with anywhere else.

Other option is to go to camskill.co.uk and get your tyres delivered to your door and throw someone a few bob to fit them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭lassykk

Flyer1 wrote: »

Other option is to go to camskill.co.uk and get your tyres delivered to your door and throw someone a few bob to fit them.

Go to camskill.co.uk. I recently bought tyres for my car for €125 a tyre. Discovered afterwards I could have got them delivered for €65 a tyre from Camskill and €15 a tyre to fit them.

As far as I know Larry Guinan will fit tyres for you that you have bought elsewhere for around €15 a tyre. Big savings if your buying 4 decent tyres.

On a slight aside be very careful if your getting your tyres balanced in Geraghty's if you do buy from them. I'd to go back the last time as they made a complete mess of it.

Might have been an isolated incident but just go out onto the new road and drive at regular speed intervals up to 100kph (really should go to 120kph but can't recommend you break the law) and make sure there's no vibrations through the steering wheel. If there is bring it straight back to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Thanks Lassykk,i went on to camskill.co.uk.
    Theres about a million different tyres to choose from and for me its like looking into a field of thistles !

I had a look in the owners manual of the car and it lists these :
    195/65r15 91h
    205/55r16 91v
    225/45r17 91w
    t125/70d17 98m

On the toyota website it just lists the 205/55r16.

Can you get any r16 ( as theres loads to pick or does it have to be the specific one ?,only 2 of the exact ones on camskill )

Thanks

• Advertisement

The best thing to do (provided you are currently happy with the level of grip your tyres provide) is go out and look at your current tyres.

If you look carefully you will see the size of the tyres written on the rubber. It will be something along the lines of 205/55R16, etc. That's how you know which tyres to choose on Camskill's website.

Then you choose by brand. I recommend not buying bargain basement tyres as they are a very important part of your car.

You can get any R16 tyre within reason but its best to stick with what is already on the car. Also don't pick "runflat" tyres as your car doesn't have them and they are very expensive

I recently bought these and am delighted with them. They are particularly good in the wet

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m4b0s291p51073

I bought a different size but it is the same tyre!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

If it makes it an easier to understand it; the 205/55/R16 just tells you the width / profile and the rim radius for the right tires to fit.

Obviously you'll have to go for R16's but the width and profile are dependent on what you want. Pirelli P-Zero are a very good tire, as are Federal, Toyo and Good Year (The Eagle F1's are meant to be particularly good in the wet)

Don't skimp on tires, stay away from 'budget' brands like Nankang unless you'd rather spend Chistmas lodged up a tree !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Thanks Paddy and Lassy.
    I went onto that website and the same 4 lassy bought were costing me £260..whatever that is in euros,then down to larry guinans to fit @ 15 each brings it up to at least £350.

I also rang geraghty's...bridgestone fitted €85 ea,pirelli €90 and michelin €100...but he told me there not much use to me as i am not doing heavy mileage,they are designed for that.

I will go with either the bridgestone or Pirelli's tomorrow.

He said that they are as good as each other.

€340 for B'stone and €360 for the Pirelli's

Keep it local

If you can get them locally as cheap then definitely go with that.

Wouldn't go further afield unless significant savings were to be made.

Glad you got it sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Flyer1 wrote: »

Second this. I've been going to Geraghty's for over 10 years now. Have always found them excellent and helpful, same reports from people I've sent down there.

Just don't try to go on a saturday morning :-)

SSE

• Advertisement
Advertisement