Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendations for great day's out on the East Coast.

Options
  • 21-11-2009 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks.
    I hope this doesn’t look like a lazy man’s request.
    I am genuinely looking for suggestions for great days out on the East Coast.
    I am based in north Dublin, I loved getting out at least one day every fortnight or so....
    ....usually after a night out!!

I have done the Glendalough and up as far as Carlingford, a few weeks ago we headed to The Hill Of Tara etc etc ....
    I would be very grateful if you would share similar spots of interest and beauty for great views and a good aul brisk wail to low out the cobwebs.

Please feel free to post both great winter and summer locations, and whats involved, i.e. early rise, leave the house at 10:00, bring sandwiches and a good pair of boots etc.

Thanks in advance Folks,
    Brian

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Howth head. Just make sure you have a clear head first of all!

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭oldscoil

Howth head. Just make sure you have a clear head first of all!

Thanks Bayview.

Yeah ya gotta love Howth, it has to be my favourite spot in the country.

I like try and never do the same walk around Howth more than twice. :D
    Its a good challenge, and if you always end up in The Summit, eating chowder and drinking pints, ....ah well, there's worse places to be:P

A big drop down if you are feeling a bit light headed. If i had to pick a favourite spot would be bull wall. Chill in da car and enjoy the kite surfers on a windy day. Place gets a lot of them in peak season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭paulocon

I notice you mentioned Carlingford so I assume you'd been up Slieve Foye? It can be a wonderful walk in the right conditions (a frosty morning over winter can lead to great views across to the Mournes)..

Route is here: http://www.walkingandhikingireland.com/?p=92

If you liked the hill of Tara, you could consider taking a spin out to Loughcrew which is the highest point in County Meath and has a superb passage tomb and offers fine views, some info here: http://www.mountainviews.ie/mv/index.php?mtnindex=976

Obviously loads around Wicklow, might be worthwhile getting hold of Hill Walker's Wicklow by David Herman as I believe it has loads of good walks.

yeah went to the hill of tara last year. Has a bit of an aura to it I have to admit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Tells

Bray to Greystones cliff trail: Park the car in Bray, walk the trail to Greystones and get the dart back. Give it about 2 hours.

The Sugarloaf mountain: Obvious track to the top, little bit of a scramble at the top, greta views. Hour and a half ish..

Dalkey/Killiney hill: Plenty of paths and trails with stunning views.

Hellfire club.. Obvious paths

Three rock.. Obvious paths

http://www.dublinmountains.ie/index.php?id=145

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭oldscoil

Thansk Folks.

These are all great!!!!

Has anyone done Ireland's Eye....I never done it, although I've been threatening for years to :D

I'd really love an invite onto Lambay for some fine wine and wallaby fress from the feilds Lambay. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭paulocon

oldscoil wrote: »
    Thansk Folks.

These are all great!!!!

Has anyone done Ireland's Eye....I never done it, although I've been threatening for years to :D

I'd really love an invite onto Lambay for some fine wine and wallaby fress from the feilds Lambay. :p

Think the ferry (i.e. small boat) out to Ireland's eye only runs during the summer months (http://www.islandferries.net/) - meant to go across this year but didn't get the chance.

Advertisement