Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cant find work abroad..Whats Pharma like in Ire?

Options
  • 21-11-2009 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi there

I am just putting this question out there. Is the pharma industry as bad as everything else at home at the min? Im in late twenties and I have about 4 years experience,

was on contract but that finished and Ive been working in ****ty jobs for nearly 5 months now,no dole, no sign of anything still and its nearly xmas....maybe should go home and try upskilling with a course:(

I have been applying for jobs in Ireland but no feedback really..Is there any ponit in this? or is it a case of half the country applying for one job in this industry?

Any info would be great as its hard to tell from on line recruitment sites etc:confused:

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭seclachi

Its quiet, just like every thing else at the minute, but they arent as vulnerable to the downturn as everybody else (People will always need drugs after all). You can crudely split the industry into two, small molecule and biopharma. I believe small molecule is one of the bigger in Ireland, as biopharm is a newer innovation. I think small molecule is dying a slow death, the tactic in this industry was to pump millions into developing blockbusters that sell for a fortune. They cant seem to find any more and the current ones are coming off patent which means they are undercut by generic drug companies. Biopharma should be in a better position as its alot harder for generics to clone the process.

Like I said its quiet out there, staff jobs with multinationals are always sought after anyway, let alone in the current conditions. I think its like anything, you need to get to know some people in the industry who might give you contacts. Your profession might also be suited to contracting with another firm on behalf of pharma, ie IT or engineering.

If your looking to upskill try and find college courses that offer industrial placement, pharmas are quiet diligent about taking on students every year. It may be your foot in the door (In many cases though its very rare to get a job with the same company out of it, unless you impress and theres an opening), or at the very least it`ll look good on your CV.

Best of luck with the job hunt !

• Registered Users Posts: 16 anon41

Thanks S

I'm becoming more anxious and worried about still being unemployed and what this will mean for any job prospects, was in the biopharma ind before I left Ireland

but now cant get anything aboard or at home it seems!! ..and dont really know where to go from here :confused:

Advertisement