Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Riello oil burner g3 b

Options
  • 21-11-2009 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭

Hi All

I replaced this unit Jan last year (still have receipts)and now have problems again.

Oil tank is full and I have bled system.

Pump starts up but boiler doesn't seem to fire.

I removed burner checked electrodes & springs,photo cell,nozzle and pipe for blockages.

When the system starts no oil comes out of nozzle

I read on net that there had been problems with pump can any one help It's bl**dy freezing

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

Have you checked the filter on the fuel pump? I have an older Riello burner myself but I recently had problems with it. I removed the cover to the fuel pump (placing a small container underneath to catch the oil) and removed the gauze filter for cleaning. Refit and bleed once again. Worked for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭pavb2

Thanks for reply I have the unit off now, I presume pump cover is held on by 4 allen screws but would this need cleaning after 1 year?however It does seem to point to fuel pump

Are there any free manuals or diagrams on net I've had a look but most ask for registration fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

Yes, the filter cover on my burner is held in place by four allen screws. I don't know where you'll find out more info really, most internet searches point you in the direction of a qualified service engineer in the case of anything but the most basic problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 jobfix

To answer your question on a manual. You schould have a paper that came with the burner, on the last page there is a list of problems and what to do.
    If your boiler starts up and you listen well you can hear after a vew seconds a sparking sound ( the ignition). If the boiler does not fire up after a vew times and keeps running than it meens that the oil valve in the pump does not open. You can check this by taking of the electric magnet on top of the pump. put a srewdriver in the hole and start up the burner. If you feel the scewdriver is being puled by the magnet than its oke. In that case the pump has to be replaced, If the magnet failt than that is your problem.
    Have fun.

Thnks for reply, changed pump & solenoid it fired up OK. I then switched off to check and would not fire up again.

So now if I switch on the pump just keeps turning I think I may look at controller next maybe it's not sending a signal to solenoid.

If anyone can help what is the correct sequence for starting

Is this correct - pump starts, solenoid half energises, oil flows, electrode sparks, oil ignites, photo cell tells solenoid to fully open, burner on full blast.

Any help appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 jobfix

The correct fire sequence is - burner motor starts - ingnition - oilvalve opens -flame - lock out after around 15 seconds.
    I dont ubderstand what you changed was it the compleet burner or only the oilpump. Sorry but in both cases you need an iolpressure meter to set the correct oilpressure.
    If you did everything right i wonder if you opend the oil supply again (sorry happened to me to)

Thanks everyone for help sorted now but can I adjust oil as I havn't got pressure gauge I think I read on here 15 half turns out or is this too hit & miss?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

Don't touch the oil adjustment screw without having a pressure gauge fitted. The factory setting is most likely OK.
    Jim.

Advertisement