Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice re IPOD TOUCH like devices

Options
  • 21-11-2009 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    I need a bit of advise.My sis is getting me a Christmas present and her boyfriend has an IPOD TOUCH 8 GB.I quite like this device with it's applications.Mightily impressed with the touchscreen applications eg easy wifi internet access @ hot spots,calendars,e mail(any e mail address acceptable?),googling maps.Battery is gone flat on the device and it requires I Tunes on my laptop or an adaptor for the 2 pin plug device charger.Bit of a nuisance to be honest.I do not want an I phone or any device with a phone capability but wifi/wireless internet access is essential with an e mail applications and all the rest of the IPOD TOUCH's best bits including the touchscreen.I feel any device must have bluetooth capability and must not be restricted to downloading music from I Tunes.Hey I am not asking for much!!Hope all the techno experts out there can help me.
    Selig :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭richieg

Try looking at www.archos.com. The new archos 5 android is out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

richieg wrote: »
    Try looking at www.archos.com. The new archos 5 android is out.

Thanks a million RichieG,the new archos 5 android looks superb,the real deal!
    Selig,:D

• Registered Users Posts: 30,283 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

I'm not sure if I understand, you like the ipod touch but don't like the battery life/charging?

In my own experience the ipod touch is better than most devices when it comes to battery life. There are a few different chargers you can get, even a standard usb power adapter should work and aren't expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

I'm not sure if I understand, you like the ipod touch but don't like the battery life/charging?

In my own experience the ipod touch is better than most devices when it comes to battery life. There are a few different chargers you can get, even a standard usb power adapter should work and aren't expensive.

No Ghost Train the charger is a minor issue,disappointed there is no bluetooth capability and the fact you have to download your music from I Tunes.Although I am pretty ignorant when it comes to any real knowledge re these devices!The Archos 5 internet tablet appears impressive but may be costly with the need to purchase codecs,plug-ins,licences for maps,the dvd station and other accessories!
    Selig:confused:
    The new archos 5 android is out.
    P.S. Richie G any ideas where you can buy an Archos 5 8 or 16GB internet tablet,checked out Pixamania and Amazon,no luck!?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,283 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

seligehgit wrote: »
    No Ghost Train the charger is a minor issue,disappointed there is no bluetooth capability and the fact you have to download your music from I Tunes.Although I am pretty ignorant when it comes to any real knowledge re these devices!The Archos 5 internet tablet appears impressive but may be costly with the need to purchase codecs,plug-ins,licences for maps,the dvd station and other accessories!
    P.S. Richie G any ideas where you can buy an Archos 5 8 or 16GB internet tablet,checked out Pixamania and Amazon,no luck!?

As far as I know the newer ipod touches (not the first model) do have bluetooth audio with the latest updates

Know what you mean about itunes, its not the best.

Do think it will be a while before you get the amount of apps the ipod has on other platforms

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

As far as I know the newer ipod touches (not the first model) do have bluetooth audio with the latest updates

But only Audio, cannot send/receive files via Bluetooth..

seligehgit wrote: »

You can't get 8 or 16GB I don't think. I have never owned 1 so not too sure. These are intended as portable media devices (photos, video, music etc) which is why the hard drives are so large. You best bet for getting 1 cheaply is ebay. The ordinary archos 5 (non android) is available as well and you can pick them up fairly ok. If you're buying from ebay pick a reputable seller, ask loads of questions and gauge the responses (speed of reply and quality) as a guide to how good he is.

You might want to read this post re Archos CC. i just came across it.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055179650
    You should have a look through this forum as well, might help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Komplett: Marc

I have to throw my support in with Archos too, they're a solid brand and do some really excellent hardware.

I'm also kind of on an Android binge at the moment. I'm loving that OS :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Don't get any Archos products if you're expecting great battery life. They provide mediocre battery life at best, particularly when playing songs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement